Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Atera Strada DL 3 +1

M

maui2512

Guest User
Hi - just thought I'd put a quick review of the bike rack, having used it fully for the first time today. We have the DL3 +1 version and it worked perfectly holding our 2 adult bikes and 2 children's bikes (one for an 8 year old and one for a 6 year old). The 4 year old's bike went in the boot…

It was a little challenging putting all the bikes on for the first time today as you have to work out how best to fit them all in together! It took me a while to work out that the top supporting brackets need to go through the frame of the first bike in order to secure the next two bikes and so I ended up having to take them all off again, but once I'd worked out that, it is really really easy to put the bikes on and off.

Actually putting the rack on the van was relatively easy once I'd watched the You-Tube video a few times (the instructions that come with it are a little tricky to understand) and now I've done it a few times it's really easy and I can manage it well with no help at all (mind you I am quite strong ;) )

The boot clears the rack when no bikes are on it and was just catching it slightly when I had the 4 bikes on (I'll attach a photo when I can work out how to make it under the file size limit!) but still allowed easy access and could be remedied by turning the handlebars had I wanted to.

It felt very stable on the drive down the M3 even through horrendous rain and through huge puddles on the country lanes, with no worries about wobbles etc.
really really pleased with my purchase!
Jane

Attachments

• pa9ehu6y.jpg
    pa9ehu6y.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 42
  • uda4ysa8.jpg
    uda4ysa8.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 50
Thanks for that Jane, good to hear it works so well on the Cali. I have been wondering about fitting a tow hitch & getting on of these instead of my VW rack.
Down side, for me, of the VW rack is it is not easy to re-fit it on ones own whereas the towbar mounted ones are easy.
Got to start saving !!

I think I'm going to go this route instead of the tailgate rack, means I can fit the Sportline spoiler too :D

I'm really puzzled. Bought one of this after reading others thoughts and having trial fitted it last week the tailgate hits. I need about another 2 CMS of clearance - this is without the bikes

I have a detachable VW factory fit towbars.

Any tips?

I'm really puzzled. Bought one of this after reading others thoughts and having trial fitted it last week the tailgate hits. I need about another 2 CMS of clearance - this is without the bikes

I have a detachable VW factory fit towbars.

Any tips?

Did you definitely get the 3dl, the 2dl does not allow the tailgate to open

I think if you put one of the children's bicycles on the inside, instead of an adult bike then you would be able to open the tailgate.

We put two adult mtb's on the inside and can open the tailgate, the inside bike bar end needs slight pressure to move it 15 - 20 mm to avoid the edge of the tailgate when opening, been using it for 13 months with no issues.

Took delivery of Atera Strada DL3 today having had the VW rack previously. As good as the VW rack is, the fact that the guidance suggests the tailgate shouldn't be lifted with bikes in situ defeats the whole point of it to me and hence my decision to sell it and have a tow bar mounted rack. That and the height issue for the vertically challenged.

The Atera Strada was simple to fit and remove straight out of the box (ok once I'd worked out when and when not to push in the 'button' on the locking clamp mechanism). Without bikes mounted the tailgate didn't quite clear the rack for me but with very gentle persuasion and the flex in the frame it did. With bikes mounted the tailgate clears comfortably (albeit with handlebars turned through 90 degrees). Driving is easy and at 70mph on bumpy roads the rack felt very stable. Initially the steering felt a little lighter with three bikes mounted but after a little while it feels fine.

All in all, first impressions are that it's an excellent product that does everything that other reviewers have said it would. Thanks to all that helped me make up my mind to buy .

I find that the bars can be left in the normal position but you do have to push the bar on the bike closest to the rear door to get it to clear.

Took this pic today:
2 adult bikes (27.5&29er) and in between a kids bike 14". Turned his bar anf everything is good!
Happy because I thought we had to buy the extra rail... well not for now.
006be89769ac682fd82360c4ba53925e.jpg

946c5388bf1defbb19d41713c979ff4c.jpg

Considering getting myself a different bike rack.

I love the VW one that came with our T5 Cali cause it looks great (imo) and its always on the van, so its a breeze taking my mtb in the weekends.

But the fact that we can't open the tailgate when takings bikes (which we do on holidays) is annoying.

From what I've read here the ATERA STRADA DL 3 +1 seems like an interesting option. Weird question: do any of you who own it think it would fit on the towbar, with bikes, while leaving the original bike rack in place (folded up). Might seem like a weird question, but I once tried a friend's towbar rack with 3 bikes and that fit while my original bike rack was still in place.

It would make it easy for me to keep using the old rack for weekends / mtb trips with friends, cause I wouldnt have to get the Atera Strada out. But also allow me to use the Atera Strada 3+1 when going away with the family, takings 4 bikes, without having to remove the original VW rack. ;-)

These photos should help, there is only 210 mm clearance at the top of the 3DL. Depends how high the VW one is. The 3DL comes up to the just below the bottom of the VW badge.

Note I extended my 2014 3DL as the bigger mountain bikes with 29" wheels were at the racks limit, maybe the new ones are wider?

PXL_20210819_120056683.jpg

PXL_20210819_120138889.jpg

Thanks so much! That gives me a real good idea of whether or not this will work. I will go and measure my bike rack now ;-) And thanks for the info about 29 inch wheels, cause all my MTB's are 29 inch.

Thanks so much! That gives me a real good idea of whether or not this will work. I will go and measure my bike rack now ;-) And thanks for the info about 29 inch wheels, cause all my MTB's are 29 inch.
It's not just the 29" wheels it's the stretched out geometry. You would think the newer ones would take that into account.

Otherwise, try to get hold of a longer tow bar like me
I have a Westfalia tow bar standard as the 4th picture and bought a second hand tow bar of a Nissan Juke of westfalia.
Result in the last picture

IMG_20210121_192319.jpg

IMG_20210121_193525.jpg

IMG_20210121_193529.jpg

IMG_20210121_193656.jpg

IMG_20210205_105243.jpg

IMG_20210205_105249.jpg

IMG_20210205_105316.jpg

IMG_20210205_153552.jpg