BLISTERING ROOF PAINTWORK - SURVEY

SusiBus

SusiBus

2-pedal power Peppa Pig trike
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Having discovered that my 2011 van is suffering from blistering paint on the roof, I are now talking to VW HQ and trying to establish why so many Cali owners need to make warranty claims for roof corrosion.

To help in my discussions with VW, feedback on the way in which the dealer dealt with your corrosion problem would be helpful:

1. Your dealer’s assessment of the cause of the problem

2. What work was carried out by the dealer to rectify the problem:

(a) Repair and respray external damage only?
(b) Remove, repair, and refit the existing roof?
(c) Remove and replace all the affected parts with new?

3. Have you suffered any re-occurrence of blistering paint after the remedial work?

4. What warranty was offered after the remedial work – 3 or 12 years?

Surforswim’s video may illustrate an extreme case, http://youtu.be/L8BEMHZgmWw but from the blogs I have read, it seems that dealers in many cases are just repairing the exterior “visible” paint damage without remedying the cause. Unless the corroded metal is treated from underneath, or the front aluminium box section is replaced, I can’t see how this corrosion will not reoccur in the future – probably just after the vehicle is out of warranty!

If this was happening to a £50,000+ Audi, I am sure VW/Audi would be putting a lot more effort into finding and rectifying the cause of something which has been happening for some years now both in the UK and Germany.

Many thanks for your feedback.

Hi
My November 2010 California

1. My roof has suffered this problem no assessment given as to cause just something that Californias suffered.

2. (a) Blistering occurred on front corners on both sides sides near to mulitrail. repair consisted of a respray of the whole panel, and silicon injected underneath the panel and the front windscreen.

3. None so far repair completed in september.

4. None more than standard VW warranty

I have checked the you tube video and fortunately my damage was not as severe as that.

would it also be worth adding a note of the date of the Cali (& ? VIN number)