The Blue Merle

The Blue Merle

4x4 joker
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
N/A
Hi
I'm just looking to book a ferry from Dover to Calais and wanted to know if people book there Cali as a car or motorhome with P&O dimensions can fall in there car class and it works out a bit cheaper too.

The first time i crossed the channel with the California , like yourself i did not know what to book as .
I played it safe and booked as a motorhome as i was concerned that i would turn up at Dover and have "issues" ,especially as i also had 2 bikes on the bike rack.
However , whilst checking in , i asked the gentleman in the booth the hypothetical question 'what would he have done if i had booked as an oversize car?'.
His reply was that he 'would not have questioned it' , but could not say that one of his colleagues might have queried it.

Moving on from this situation , i have since crossed the channel 3 times with the Cali.
Each time i have booked as an Oversize car , again with bikes on the rack. I have not experienced any problems at all so far and will continue book like this until advised otherwise.
My thoughts are that ,If i were to be questioned , the worst scenario would be that they would charge me the extra as a motorhome at check in and therefore i would be no worse off.

Have a great trip.

Car, always. It normally recognises your plates and says Cali on the booking.

Hi
Thanks for that, I always booked as motorhome with my ferry as they use to be the very cheap compared to p&o probably why they have gone out of business!
Will risk booking as a big car as it seems to be about £30 cheaper all helps

Car for both Eurotunnel and Wightlink to the Isle of Wight.

When entering the details of the booking, Eurotunnel recognises the registration as a Campervan

Hi guys,
A really helpful thread, I just email DFDS as I was not sure of vehicle catagory.
(before checking here :headbang sorry I am slowly learning).
My reply received back from DFDS, 'check v5'. This I did and body type states 'Motor Caravan'. This is not an option on the DFDS booking site.

But after reading this thread i am more than reassured that large car more than covers the size, and as already pointed out a few quids cheaper :bananadance.. So more than happy... Thanks guys...

Back