Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First Trip to Spain

Mazvw42

Mazvw42

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We are travelling to Spain for the first time in late June via Brittany Ferries on their Portsmouth to Santander route. We then hope to drive down to a site in Tamarit which is south west of Barcelona on the same day we arrive.

We intend to stay on the same site as a base for about two weeks and travel around, so if anyone had any tips on this area - I would be very grateful.

Also, I have driven a great deal in other parts of Europe before, but is there anything I should be aware of for driving on Spanish roads in particular? ( I think I've covered all the must haves like the warning sign for the bike rack etc!)

Have a look at the Roman Aqueduct just inland from Tarragona, very impressive.

Have a look at the Roman Aqueduct just inland from Tarragona, very impressive.

There's only one Aqueduct, must have double clicked!

We are travelling to Spain for the first time in late June via Brittany Ferries on their Portsmouth to Santander route. We then hope to drive down to a site in Tamarit which is south west of Barcelona on the same day we arrive.

We intend to stay on the same site as a base for about two weeks and travel around, so if anyone had any tips on this area - I would be very grateful.

Also, I have driven a great deal in other parts of Europe before, but is there anything I should be aware of for driving on Spanish roads in particular? ( I think I've covered all the must haves like the warning sign for the bike rack etc!)
You need 2 triangles for Spain and a fluorescent jacket (we carry one per person) to walk on the road and within reach in the van. You need proof of insurance, ownership, id, driving license. Rac website.
Be very certain you check the Id of anyone requesting the information. Ask them to accompany you to a local police station (gardia civil) if you are not sure. There are lots of suspect people particularly anywhere near Barcelona. To the West and North it is a lot less of a problem. Speaking pigeon Spanish is an advantage!

This isn't meant to be scare mongering but just bare this advice in mind, I have heard stories:Nailbiting
If there is more then one adult travelling never leave the van unattended at the service/petrol stations!
Don't stop for anyone other then the police.
Personally I wouldn't sleep over at any service stations either, try to pre book your destinations that you have researched and checked out before you get there with reviews from english sites. I know it sounds a bore but we 'winged' it on the way to Almeria last year and there are some very dodgy sites out there especially around Barcelona area.. deffo learnt our lesson.
My mate who travels too and from Spain weekly told me he always parks next to British plates cars if the opportunity arises to look like safety in numbers.
Skylarks advice on what you need is spot on.

If there is more then one adult travelling never leave the van unattended at the service/petrol stations!
Too true!
We stopped for a few minutes on the E15 (still in France) leaving the Cali right outside the main Cafe entrance.
We then drove on round Barcelona, to be stopped by the Spanish police at a toll-booth. They had been tipped off that somebody had tampered with the van at the service station & had also been given the details of the offender's vehicle.
We found nothing wrong (& no indication by the tyre pressure warning system) but the next morning one rear tyre was half flat with 2 knife cuts...
The police caught the offenders & we had to get a new tyre.
They say it is very common in that area.
The offenders follow the damaged vehicle until it stops & then offer to help.
And then....
So we think we are lucky to only have to pay for one tyre.

There are some areas in which you should take special care, but in general, Spain is not dangenous place. Da same as other countries, be more careful in very turistic places, because is where more undesirables are.

Roads in Spain are quite good. Bringh high vibility jaket, a couple of triangles and the green inssurance paper and other documentation which allow the police identify your vehicle and yourself.

Thank you all for your advice, and I'll make sure I only visit aqueduct once!

I would add one thing: a fluorescent jacket/waistcoat is required for all occupants in the event of a breakdown, as everyone will be required to vacate the vehicle

Spanish residents need 2 warning triangles, visitors need to carry 1 according to the RAC website.

Don't know why I was concerned -

Just returned from a great two weeks in Spain, really impressed with the roads, the people and the weather averaged 31c every day. Campsite was large but excellent and our pitch was in spitting distance of the beach. The van eat the 6 hour drive up and down to the ferry with no bother, we will certainly be going again. When we arrived, on the next pitch were a Swiss couple in their massive motor home that had a garage for their smart car in the back, it dwarfed our van! Oh, and I did actually see the aqueduct twice! Thanks again for your advice.

I'm glad you did enjoy my country. If you liked what you saw I encourage you go again and visit different places, there are very interesting and different places loaded of history and nice views.