Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heating and carbon monoxide detectors

P

Pete Wilkins

VIP Member
Hi
Does anyone use a carbon monoxide detector in the van,if so which ones and where did you place it.

Yes, we do. I have a really basic 'First Alert' monitor from B&Q (it was about a fiver) and I stand it on the glass work top over the sink when we sleep in the van at night with the heater on.

Steve

Yes, we also use one, thought it seemed sensible... We use an electric plug in one and keep it on the floor. Maybe better higher up from what the others seem to suggest? Only reason ours goes on the floor is that it has an annoyingly bright green light on it and I don't want to be looking at that at night time!

Susanne

I have one too. Battery operated. Stuck on the pillar above the fridge. Just get one. You know it makes sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I use a Fire Angel, don't site it on the floor, suggest at least same height as your head or higher, when asleep. With ventilation when cooking it should never earn its keep.

Rgrds, Rob H.

I am glad to see others as safety minded as myself, it is the ex fireman in me, I have seen too many incidents not to have one, but was interested in what makes you were all using, and where you had placed them. I wanted one that was not to big, thinking that around the overhead locker area would be best location as it is central and away from the cooker. Still looking for the perfect one to buy before trips away.

Pete - can you post what you end up with after your research? I think I should invest in something slightly different too...

Thanks!

Susanne

Mine is a 'kidde' brands compact version, bought for the caravan originally. It has 7 year warranty, test button and uses 3 replaceable AA batteries.

I have a fire angel 7. I have mine temporary fixed to the overhead locker, In other words above my head when I am sleeping.

I use one. There are many good ways to die, but carbon monoxide is not one of them

In most instances you are better safe than dead. So I carry a roll of garden wire snip and twist in the van for ad hoc repairs etc, something like

http://www.crowders.co.uk/buy/plant-and ... wwodhUoAgw

with this you can quickly, easily and temporarily attach the detector to the front head restraint rods or windscreen rear view mirror

I did try more permanently attaching it to the outside of the wardrobe, but when the van got hot the double sided foam pads tended to fail as the VW carcassing is quite textured so you don't get a secure fixing to it. The other problem was that the fridge door would hit it :headbang and it stopped you from removing the metal tray inside the fridge.

Back