Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hello and Should I Wait or Should I Go?

B

BDUB

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Howdy folks

Great forum... looking forward to taking part and hopefully contributing :)

We've been considering a VW camper for a while (has to be an auto). Started looking at older 2nd hand conversions but don't like idea of buying something that might not be reliable and could be a money pit. Also prefer the DSG box over older autobox. So then looked at buying a 1 year old T4 and converting, but by the time you add the price of decent conversion to a decent 1 year old DSG, we're in the same ball park as a 1 year old California. Now considering a 2015 California SE with 50 miles on clock direct from VW for around £43k. It has the options we'd like (parking sensors, privacy glass). The only thing we're not so keen on is the colour (silver)- would prefer white, brown or black. So my question is how often do these colours come up for sale? It seems there are only a few 'new' 2015 Californias left in the UK so are we foolish to pass on a van that ticks all our other boxes? Also, are there any other options that you would recommend?
Thanks
Brendan

Howdy folks

Great forum... looking forward to taking part and hopefully contributing :)

We've been considering a VW camper for a while (has to be an auto). Started looking at older 2nd hand conversions but don't like idea of buying something that might not be reliable and could be a money pit. Also prefer the DSG box over older autobox. So then looked at buying a 1 year old T4 and converting, but by the time you add the price of decent conversion to a decent 1 year old DSG, we're in the same ball park as a 1 year old California. Now considering a 2015 California SE with 50 miles on clock direct from VW for around £43k. It has the options we'd like (parking sensors, privacy glass). The only thing we're not so keen on is the colour (silver)- would prefer white, brown or black. So my question is how often do these colours come up for sale? It seems there are only a few 'new' 2015 Californias left in the UK so are we foolish to pass on a van that ticks all our other boxes? Also, are there any other options that you would recommend?
Thanks
Brendan
Hi Brendan, I am biased with the colour and think VW Silver is very nice, also hides the dirt well. I have had a look at VW website and the Cali in question seems one of the better deals at the moment. You are getting one of the last T5's and (my personal view) should have a very reliable van with most problems sorted out. It has Climatronic which is great and an expensive option. Not many T5 demos left now and prices will hold firm at VW garages now it is coming the season for buying. If you can negotiate well on this price I think it could be a good deal, List price was probably just over £50k so if you can get nearer 40 that is a good saving. People asking more for older used vans. Alternatives are to look at ordering a T6.

T6 starts at £50k from what I can see... when we started looking a couple of weeks ago, we set a budget of £10k :Nailbiting Just getting used to spending £40ish...

We weren't sure about silver but love it now. Doesn't show the dirt up.
How long do you want to wait for a T6?
The days are getting longer and the open road is calling...

T6 starts at £50k from what I can see... when we started looking a couple of weeks ago, we set a budget of £10k :Nailbiting Just getting used to spending £40ish...
Ha, just about get a well used T5 builders van for £10K, surprising how your budget goes up as you start looking. People have been getting about 8% max off the new T6 prices.
It does have the essential extras on it, stereo and wheels can easily be upgraded later if you wish. Don't forget all the camping bits you need for the Cali too. Don't know how close to 40K you can get, that probably depends on you and the dealer but you want a bit of a deal imo or you could end up too close to a discounted T6 price.

That's a great help- thanks :) I'll let you know how I get on...

Dealer not budging far from 43.8k list price for an Aug '15 with 50 miles on clock. Thanks to Larry for pointer on discounts on T6 :thumb we've decided to pay an extra 2-3k to order a T6.
Any ideas on lead time if we order next week? Any guidelines/ pointers for ordering via DTD?
Thanks again folks; this is a big decision for us so it's great to get such experienced insights.

Its your decision but you can't see the colour when you are in it so unless you absolutely hate silver I would seriously think about it. If it has all of the options that you want but the colour is the only issue then I personally wouldn't worry.

We bought a new 2015 SE in October. It too had all the options that we wanted and more but it was black. Yuk. However since then the colour has grown on us and we now think it looks really great. Just like a private ambulance! :)

The T5 Cali is a lovely vehicle and we don't regret buying our black beauty at all.

My T6 ocean was built this week (probably a few weeks before I get it though) and I ordered that about 11 weeks ago, have heard people saying 4-6 month build now though.
Try Vindis Northampton as that's where I've ordered mine and they said 12 weeks compared to Sheffield who told me at least 6 months if I was lucky!!

Its your decision but you can't see the colour when you are in it so unless you absolutely hate silver I would seriously think about it. If it has all of the options that you want but the colour is the only issue then I personally wouldn't worry.

We bought a new 2015 SE in October. It too had all the options that we wanted and more but it was black. Yuk. However since then the colour has grown on us and we now think it looks really great. Just like a private ambulance! :)

The T5 Cali is a lovely vehicle and we don't regret buying our black beauty at all.
Private Ambulance? All those around our way are white. There is another firm that has a Black T5 that tends to drive very slowly.;)

Last edited:
Bit of an update... spoke to local dealer (we're based in NI) but they haven't been responsive. Went on holidays for a couple of weeks and parked the project... now that we're back we've seen a second hand 2012 California DSG with 20k miles and decent options. It's listed for sale here:

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/v...012-toffee-brown/stafford/vw-t5-california-se

Is this good value for age and mileage? Big advantage of this is that we would have it in the next few weeks and ready to use in Spring rather than waiting for a T6 build... what do you guys reckon. As always, it's a big decision so any input would be very welcome.

Thanks again!

I think silver is a pretty timeless colour and always looks good. There are a lot more new T6's out there than you think. I had a good ring around and most dealers had 1 or 2 in stock. Kettering (I think it was) had 5 in their group.
It's a shame that we can't search online to see what new cars/vans dealers have in stock. The only way to know is to ring them all and hope you get through to a sales person who is interested.

I think silver is a pretty timeless colour and always looks good. There are a lot more new T6's out there than you think. I had a good ring around and most dealers had 1 or 2 in stock. Kettering (I think it was) had 5 in their group.
It's a shame that we can't search online to see what new cars/vans dealers have in stock. The only way to know is to ring them all and hope you get through to a sales person who is interested.
VW have a website called Das Auto Which can be used to search used vehicles in all participating VW dealerships nationally

https://used.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/results.aspx?wflw=se_na_re_vi&pg=1

Last edited:
Bit of an update... spoke to local dealer (we're based in NI) but they haven't been responsive. Went on holidays for a couple of weeks and parked the project... now that we're back we've seen a second hand 2012 California DSG with 20k miles and decent options. It's listed for sale here:

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/v...012-toffee-brown/stafford/vw-t5-california-se

Is this good value for age and mileage? Big advantage of this is that we would have it in the next few weeks and ready to use in Spring rather than waiting for a T6 build... what do you guys reckon. As always, it's a big decision so any input would be very welcome.

Thanks again!
Perhaps members might be reluctant to comment on ads from this site re price etc.

Perhaps members might be reluctant to comment on ads from this site re price etc.

I hear ye Larry. It might be better to explain our quandry as follows. We were looking at ex demo T5 DSG from VW at around £44k. At that price we then decided it worth looking at T6 (with decent DTD discount). But I'm not 100% comfortable with DTD (mainland delivery for one and we're in N Ireland), so we spoke to local dealer who offered 7% discount but has been unresponsive since initial phone call. Since then we've seen a couple of 2012 DSGs with around 20k miles for around £37-38k. These are available immediately and now that we've decided to get a Cali, we'd like to start using this Spring and Summer... We have a 4 year old so I think it's the perfect time for us.

So do we order a T6 at £47k with a few basic options and discount and wait until mid or end of Summer?
Buy an 2015 ex demo from VW at £44k?
Buy a 2012 T5 with good options that is ready now but no warranty?

The 10k+ saving on the 2012 T5 is very appealing and it's done some of it's (higher?) initial depreciation if it's priced competitively...

Colour is a variable but I think we need to be more flexible to keep our options more open.

I hear ye Larry. It might be better to explain our quandry as follows. We were looking at ex demo T5 DSG from VW at around £44k. At that price we then decided it worth looking at T6 (with decent DTD discount). But I'm not 100% comfortable with DTD (mainland delivery for one and we're in N Ireland), so we spoke to local dealer who offered 7% discount but has been unresponsive since initial phone call. Since then we've seen a couple of 2012 DSGs with around 20k miles for around £37-38k. These are available immediately and now that we've decided to get a Cali, we'd like to start using this Spring and Summer... We have a 4 year old so I think it's the perfect time for us.

So do we order a T6 at £47k with a few basic options and discount and wait until mid or end of Summer?

The 10k+ saving on the 2012 T5 is very appealing and it's done some of it's (higher?) initial depreciation if it's priced competitively...

Colour is a variable but I think we need to be more flexible to keep our options more open.
Demo available here T6, good price considering the prices dealers are asking for T5 stock.
https://used.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/...ingham/605500553-890647.aspx?srcmdc=se_na_re_
(If you check this out it mentions comfort seats, just make sure these are the swivelling front seats)
I think if you are after an older T5 you are in a strong bargaining position.

you could always do a deal on a new T6 and hire a Cali for a holiday while you are waiting?

We have ordered with drivethedeal (DTD) it is a main VW dealer who has sold a lot of T6, looks at threads on here for positive feedback.
Most don't opt for delivery but choose to pick it up. The dealer is close to a main airport so we will fly up & then drive back. Flying is cheaper than the train.
There is also finance deal running at the moment - see threads in T6 chat. Need to order soon. Also linked service plans/ extended warranty . Again see recent thread. It's a no brainer.
All the best in your search.

Hello BDUB,
Only you can make that final decision however there is also a forth option that is worth considering.

Why not try phoning round all of the VW dealerships and find out what T6 Oceans they currently have as demonstrators?

If registered on the 1st March these demonstrators could be available at the end of May before the summer really gets going (or sooner if already registered). Also the dealers often give them a good spec to demonstrate the various options to potential customers.

However, if you do go down this route its worth checking with the dealer to confirm that they only allow accompanied test drives and do not either lend out or hire their demonstrators before sale. Some do, some don't. I know that there is no way of knowing for sure but there is a good chance that the signs would be there if it had be lent or hired out. When you come to collect, the vehicle should be as new albeit with some mileage on the clock. It may even be possible to agree a maximum demonstrator mileage with the dealer.

Unless you have to have a new one, its a great way to buy as you can get a well specced nearly new vehicle with the bulk of the warrantee remaining at a cheaper price. You should be able to negotiate the (up to) eight per cent discount off new that forum members have reported being offered plus a further discount as it has been there demo for its first three months. There may be other possible discount available at the moment but at the dealers discretion.

What ever you decide to do, good luck and happy Cali adventures.