Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hello new to Californias

D

doggerbight01

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hello, looking to buy a California, probably a Beach as I don't need all the cupboards or sink but would like a fridge and stove. I've seen some of the pod units on other posts so considering that as an option, one inside the van not rear slide out. Beach offers more flexibility I think but perhaps those with experience on here will say otherwise.
Other questions; which engine? Auto or manual? Can you get a Beach with hook-up, leisure battery, auxiliary heater or retrofit?
I've had many vans before, Westfalias; T2, T25/T3, T4 and then a T5 CMC Reimo so familiar with well made campers. The California looks in this bracket.
Any thoughts or experiences welcomed. Thank you.
Michael

• Welcome
Reactions: Sad
My view is 150ps engine is fantastic, no need for the 204, save a few grand and get a couple more mpg. I’d be interested in your view if you drive both like I did in 2021.
Only auto available now.
Definitely get the aux heater.

Get a Beach, you won’t regret it. 150 is great and very well geared, but can easily be remapped if you ever want more power.

Depending on year most come with with hook-up, leisure battery, auxiliary heater, awning & bike rack.

Slide out boot trays are a great and good for putting a fridge, storage boxes on. Vangear do decent affordable kitchen pods.

Beach, Coast or Ocean, you need to get what suits you the best. I can understand the draw of the Beach (even if we opted for an Ocean). If you’re camping in the winter (or UK spring, autumn) an aux heater is a must have. LED headlights would be my second must have. I’ve seen the halogens and it’s like night and day, literally.

We‘ve driven 199, 204 and 150PS engines, and opted for the cheaper, simpler and more efficient 150. No regrets.

Hello,
Looking at a Beach after some thought and research. However still have questions:
1. In the 2 seater rear bench version can the storage box adjacent to the bench be removed, and if yes easily?
2. Can you remove the 2 seater bench and replace with a 3 seater?
3. Would want to get a stove and fridge removeable unit. Can this be installed with the 2 seat bench/storage box option?

Most important for me in purchasing a van are condition of van, in and out, 150 ps engine, mileage, history. If I can alter the bits above will do to suit. Pretty sure I've read on here adding aux heater, leisure battery or even solar is not an issue.

Thanks for any help or thoughts.

Hello,
Looking at a Beach after some thought and research. However still have questions:
1. In the 2 seater rear bench version can the storage box adjacent to the bench be removed, and if yes easily?
2. Can you remove the 2 seater bench and replace with a 3 seater?
3. Would want to get a stove and fridge removeable unit. Can this be installed with the 2 seat bench/storage box option?

Most important for me in purchasing a van are condition of van, in and out, 150 ps engine, mileage, history. If I can alter the bits above will do to suit. Pretty sure I've read on here adding aux heater, leisure battery or even solar is not an issue.

Thanks for any help or thoughts.
1. The storage box can be removed easily
2. people on here have replaced the 2 seat for the 3 but other things are needed the multi flex board is a different height so different supports. And a possible expensive purchase.
3. there are countless options available for these combinations of stove/ fridge. I have opted for a 2 burner stove kept in the under rear seat drawer and a portable fridge. Easily removed when van is in daily use.
if you do not require a five seater then the 2 seat I find more flexible. But it is a very personal choice.

Back