Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New gas struts rated 1400N do not support boot lid...?

bmassaer

bmassaer

Vehicle
Please Select
I installed new gas struts rated at 1400N. It was an easy installation, they fit perfectly. But they do not support the boot lid - it goes down halfway spontaneously after installation. The old gas struts, rated 1250N, did support the boot lid well... (I replaced them because we have a bike rack and I hoped with new struts it would be more easy to open the boot lid).
How can this happen??

I notice that external temperature does have an effect. The colder it is then the less likely it is to hold up the tailgate.
Are these struts VW or 3rd Party?

3rd party... I bought them from SGS Engineering. I kept them inside until installation today, so they are not cold. And anyway, this way they are useless... I will have to return them...

I bought the same ones from SGS and after having the same problem was considering changing them back to the originals when hey presto they now work fine and hold the lid fully open with the bike rack attached. Hopefully they will continue to work OK.

Hi BCFulton, maybe this is a language problem, but what do you mean by "hey presto they now work fine" - did the company some correction?
Today, after sending them a video of the non-functioning gas-struts, they told me by email they would "uprate" them again. So I hope I can return these gas struts back to England to have them corrected. And I hope they will pay the costs for sending the struts...

After being installed for a few days they started to work fine.

Back