Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pothole rant

• Thread starter Mansfieldman750
  • Start date
Our MP has secured funding for a £3 billion problem across the East Midlands.
I’m off to vote for the other one, its a gal not a guy, sorry I haven’t been paying any attention to the Mayoral election. Where’s my polling card.

014E1A8C-E824-4769-A2E4-8B5F51453E9D.png

I’m off to vote for the other one, its a gal not a guy, sorry I haven’t been paying any attention to the Mayoral election. Where’s my polling card.

View attachment 122737
Talk about 'butter wouldn't melt'. Sounds like your MP sees the writing on the wall and is out to secure his personal future. Kinda like Putin becoming Prime Minister. Wouldn't get my vote.

Talk about 'butter wouldn't melt'. Sounds like your MP sees the writing on the wall and is out to secure his personal future. Kinda like Putin becoming Prime Minister. Wouldn't get my vote.

Oh yeah, they all do it round here. Lee Anderson jumped ship from Tory to Reform as he thinks that’s his best chance to get re-elected.

I live in Gloucestershire and I don’t think this machine has paid a visit to any of the roads that I know! It’s as bad here as anywhere else in the UK and definitely worse that on the continent.
Whereabouts? I am thinking of a vigilante red beret party armed with a few tonnes of hardcore and a few hectolitres of red wine for dawn raids.

View attachment 122737
Take that Bradley, on yer Bike fella. And watch for the pot holes you have left over the last 10yrs.

There’s a good reason to report pot holes…… As I understand it if someone makes a claim against the council for damage caused by a pot hole the council can reject the claim if they can demonstrate that they have an inspection regime .
If they’ve been carrying out this process but a pot hole “appears” in between inspections AND it has not reported to them they can reject the claim on the basis that they were not aware.
That is exactly the case, my wife hit a massive pothole that shredded the tyre and buckled the alloy wheel. A claim was rejected as no one else had reported the pothole and the road had been inspected within their inspection period. Needless to say the local authority had filled it in within 48 hours.

Take that Bradley, on yer Bike fella. And watch for the pot holes you have left over the last 10yrs.

That’s poetic justice. He got some funding and now the new mayor gets to spend it.
I expect Mansfield will be flooded with tourists wanting to drive on our pristine roads now.
Hope Kirkby doesn’t get theirs fixed though. We’re first.

Hang on hang on, I am a pensioner, I am 71, I was one of the last who got it at 65.
I kept on working at Wilko distribution centre until I was 69 though, I was saving up for a Campervan.
You may think I am being disingenuous when I say this but I would gladly accept the State Pension being frozen at it’s current level for a couple of years, provided the saving went to fixing the roads.
Potholes are spoiling my retirement. I only have 2 hobbies, motorbikes and hillwalking both of which involve use of roads.
Like KevH above, all I want is roads as good as our neighbours
Well I wouldn't. The road network is essential and should be keep in good repair. However, freezing the state pension to do it? No, definately not. How did this thread get to a point where we are even discussing funding those repairs by once again hitting state pensions?

Any government of a civilised country should look after it's pensioners properly. Something HM's Government has fallen well short of in the past. This section of society are the least able to supplement their income mainly due to age and infirmity. Anyway, most pensioners will have contributed to the taxation system throughout their entire working lives so will have already paid their dues. The triple lock may have it's critic's but at least it represents a serious attempt to keep the State Pension provision at a realistic level. Just because it's more generous that the historic norm doesn't mean it should be scrapped or modified. I am sure that there are plenty of other things that money is currently being hosed at that could be targeted first.

And yes, some pensioners do have other sources of income. I for one, was a full time firefighter for thirty years and paid 11% of my wages towards my pension throughout that time. That wasn't optional either. However, as a result I now have a comfortable income, which is taxed. Any suggestion of means testing the state pension should be resisted as that would act as a strong disincentive to those saving for retirement.

Well I wouldn't. The road network is essential and should be keep in good repair. However, freezing the state pension to do it? No, definately not. How did this thread get to a point where we are even discussing funding those repairs by once again hitting state pensions?

Any government of a civilised country should look after it's pensioners properly. Something HM's Government has fallen well short of in the past. This section of society are the least able to supplement their income mainly due to age and infirmity. Anyway, most pensioners will have contributed to the taxation system throughout their entire working lives so will have already paid their dues. The triple lock may have it's critic's but at least it represents a serious attempt to keep the State Pension provision at a realistic level. Just because it's more generous that the historic norm doesn't mean it should be scrapped or modified. I am sure that there are plenty of other things that money is currently being hosed at that could be targeted first.

And yes, some pensioners do have other sources of income. I for one, was a full time firefighter for thirty years and paid 11% of my wages towards my pension throughout that time. That wasn't optional either. However, as a result I now have a comfortable income, which is taxed. Any suggestion of means testing the state pension should be resisted as that would act as a strong disincentive to those saving for retirement.
Pensioners ,and anyone with assets have been looked after well ‘compared’ to the younger generation for the last XX yrs.

That said it’s the super rich really taking all the dollar.

We should have Bezos and Zuckerberg out with hiviz on filling the holes for Saturday jobs.

Just back from touring around the Neatherlands and not a pothole in sight indeed all main roads were patch free.
Spoke at length to the harbour master at a over night stop and he explained that taxes are high, however the benefit is 'we expect a lot and get a lot'
I guess you get what you pay for!
Loved travelling in the Neatherlands, ideal for all Cali owners who don't want to stay on campsites with so many marina's offering toilet, water and shower facilities.

Forgot to say €18 per night including tourist tax, family of four.
No limit on stay time for additional days.
Blue post in picture is free water, immaculate toilet, shower, washing up facilities and waste disposal.

Back