Privacy Glass or not

Ajspicer

Ajspicer

VIP Member
VIP Trade Partner
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi,

We are going to view a number of private sale California's this weekend having finally decided on a short list of colours and specs.

Mt first question is the seller says his 2010 grey Cali has privacy? From the pictures below can anyone confirm if they think this has privacy as my current T5 has black windows and I am unsure of the level of tint on factory VW windows.

4b7054b4c825444bdada35b8288dfa12.jpg

d5792dfb1e0f27d03ca1c68054bda6cd.jpg

It doesn't have have parking sensors and we have got used to them on our current T5 camper. can these be added at a later date?

Many thanks and hope to be a real Cali owner soon, although I will be really sad to see our California-ish go :sad

Andrew

Hi Andrew difficult to tell the first picture not too sure but the second does look like it has privacy
They look darker than the passenger windows

I agree with Kev - the second picture looks like Privacy glass (to be honest it is really rare to see one without :) )

Parking sensors was one of our must have. You can fit 3rd party parking sensors, but they are generally quite rubbish (and will not integrate with your stereo).

I think it is possible to retrofit the proper VW ones, but I think that is quite difficult and expensive. If you need them and you purchase a van without I would speak with Hazzy Dayz (www.vwcruise.com) and ask how much it would be to retro fit.

The VW ones are very good as they integrate with your stereo to give a visual indication and also the audio is linked to the speakers - so an obstruction behind comes from the rear speakers and vice versa - vary handy - you can park with your eyes closed :?

T

Just had a look and it is £995 to retro fit the pukka VW ones, so factor that into your purchase price :)

http://www.hazzydayz.com/front--rear-op ... 3202-p.asp

Not really a DIY job as it involves drilling holes in the bumper and spraying the sensors - certainly beyond me :)

T

P.S. VIP members will get a discount from Hazzy Dayz - worth remembering :)

It was asked when insuring the van (with Comfort) if we had reverse sensors or a camera, this reduced the cost of cover :)

Looks like it has got privacy glass, but the first pic must have been taken when it was particularly sunny

Ian

It should be easy to tell if it has privacy glass when you see the actual van, rear glass will be slightly darker than in the front.
It is possible to get windows tinted with film, so for me at least a van without privacy would not be a deal breaker if other spec was what I wanted.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

It certainly has privacy glass. The first picture has a lot of light behind the vehicle which lessens the tint effect. The second picture the tint shows more because a darker background. The tint on the California's seems to be quite subtle at times and as you say I also have a t5 which has a much darker tint. If you want to darken them the film costs about £250 and there are loads of outfits out there who do a really good job - did my landrover and you would think they where a factory fitted. Good luck with your search!

Definitely has it.

An essential IMO as in a camper, you do need a bit of privacy!

Back