Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure Batteries

1 On EHU

2 & 3 random shots while driving. Nothing had been used except fridge for 20 mins on Level 3

It had charged for 36 hours on EHU prior.

It all seems very random?

View attachment 123914

View attachment 123915

View attachment 123916
Not random at all when you look at the draw (the second number). The math is almost exact.

2a draw, 37h. 4a draw, 18h.

The hours is an estimate based on the draw, assuming it will continue at the same rate.

When the draw goes up or down (or when driving, into the positive as it is being charged) then everything recalculates.

Not random at all when you look at the draw (the second number). The math is almost exact.

2a draw, 37h. 4a draw, 18h.

The hours is an estimate based on the draw, assuming it will continue at the same rate.

When the draw goes up or down (or when driving, into the positive as it is being charged) then everything recalculates.
I get the maths.

What I don’t get is why it needs to draw so much charge.

It’s been connected on EHU overnight. There has been virtually no draw on the leisure batteries. Nothing has been taking current.

So why are the leisure batteries depleting (per the visual charge bars & the warning message that they were flat)?

I get the maths.

What I don’t get is why it needs to draw so much charge.

It’s been connected on EHU overnight. There has been virtually no draw on the leisure batteries. Nothing has been taking current.

So why are the leisure batteries depleting (per the visual charge bars & the warning message that they were flat)?
Applogies. Was replying to images and forgot about the initial post.

None of your issues look correct. Looks like a dealer visit I’m afraid. Something is goosed somewhere and unfortunately not sure it can be faultfound here.

Depleting to 80% while driving is entirely normal.

On ehu did you start the engine or something like that?

Did you get a low battery message on the dash or camping control panel?

Last edited:
Depleting to 80% while driving is entirely normal.

On ehu did you start the engine or something like that?

Did you get a low battery message on the dash or camping control panel?
I camped last weekend. For one night. Drove ca 100 miles. The last 30 miles I set max charge.

One night on batteries, fridge level 3, minimal use of lights.

When I went close the roof next morning, control panel showed flat battery recharge warning.

Had to start engine to close roof.

One night on batteries, fridge level 3, minimal use of lights.
According to your photos your batteries look in good health. Your fridge should use about 25% battery per 24 hours -- dependant on ambient temperature..

I'd be surprised if your dealer would solve this problem in less than two months so it may be worthwhile to do some troubleshooting.

Let's run through the various probable causes and solutions which fall broadly into the categories of
  • stored energy deficit or
  • excessive energy consumption.

Probable causeTrouble shootingRemarks
Battery conditionUnlikely as your control panel photos suggest close to 75Ah usable.
Excessive loadSome loads are not obvious.

Check your inverter under drivers seat does not have a green led showing.

Check all 12 v outlets :
  • dash x 2,
  • alongside bench seat,
  • in the boot area,
  • in the roof.
Did one of your crew plug something in one of these outlets?

Check Usb outlets in kitchen.

Check discharge on the control panel with ehu off and only camping loads. The panel itself uses about 0.5A when screen is on
Your reported load should not use more than 33% of available battery per day.
Undercharged batterySounds unlikely
Fridge using excessive powerCheck that your hear fridge compressor starting and stopping. Record discharge current in both states.
Battery cube fuse blown halving capacityCheck bar graph vs "battery low please charge now" warning vs discharge voltage and current.Later T6.1s check for this, so unlikely.
ModificationsConsider if you have a dashcam/ satellite tracker or similar fitted.

If you have the time run a camping simulation at home. Fully charge then leave the fridge on and a light on for 24h or so. Put your van in camping mode so the lights don't go on when you open it to check. Record your bar graph and project your full battery life (should be 3 - 4 days starting with a cold fridge)

Last edited:
According to your photos your batteries look in good health. Your fridge should use about 25% battery per 24 hours -- dependant on ambient temperature..

I'd be surprised if your dealer would solve this problem in less than two months so it may be worthwhile to do some troubleshooting.

Let's run through the various probable causes and solutions which fall broadly into the categories of
  • stored energy deficit or
  • excessive energy consumption.

Probable causeTrouble shootingRemarks
Battery conditionUnlikely as your control panel photos suggest close to 75Ah usable.
Excessive loadSome loads are not obvious.

Check your inverter under drivers seat does not have a green led showing.

Check all 12 v outlets :
  • dash x 2,
  • alongside bench seat,
  • in the boot area,
  • in the roof.
Did one of your crew plug something in one of these outlets?

Check Usb outlets in kitchen.

Check discharge on the control panel with ehu off and only camping loads. The panel itself uses about 0.5A when screen is on
Your reported load should not use more than 33% of available battery per day.
Undercharged batterySounds unlikely
Fridge using excessive powerCheck that your hear fridge compressor starting and stopping. Record discharge current in both states.
Battery cube fuse blown halving capacityCheck bar graph vs "battery low please charge now" warning vs discharge voltage and current.Later T6.1s check for this, so unlikely.
ModificationsConsider if you have a dashcam/ satellite tracker or similar fitted.

If you have the time run a camping simulation at home. Fully charge then leave the fridge on and a light on for 24h or so. Put your van in camping mode so the lights don't go on when you open it to check. Record your bar graph and project your full battery life (should be 3 - 4 days starting with a cold fridge)
Thanks a million for this. All hugely useful.

As I’m as honest as the day is long, I have a confession.

Having scratched my head and pondered from many angles, I was fishing around in the boot and realised the EcoFlow was still plugged into the 12V in the boot.

A quick check of the EF app and I confirmed my oversight. Of course it was drawing a charge. Never been a problem as we usually drive off somewhere each day so both EF & LB topped up.

Sometimes the answer is staring you in the face!

Back