Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure Batteries

skinnywhippet

skinnywhippet

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We're off on our first trip tomorrow, a weekend without any hook-up, and I'm trying to learn about leisure batteries from a starting point of zero.

This brilliant forum and the internet generally has answered most questions, but there are a couple of things I can't find.

I can keep an eye on the volts displayed, but is there some clever system integrated into the control panel that means the power from the batteries will be shut down before they are discharged too much - i.e. to protect them?

Also, what is the AH capacity of each battery?

Thanks in advance!

No power does not shut off. I have seen mine down to 10% at which point I ran engine for 20 mins to charge.
I think batteries are 110 ah. Someone will hopefully confirm or correct this.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

In the Beach the one under the passenger seat is an 80Ah one. Have a look at this thread for more info and pics:
viewtopic.php?f=104&t=6955&start=15

Doubt that the SE would be much different capacity for the under seat battery due to the (lack of) space available.

I have had weekends away without hookup no problem and that is in a Beach that only has a single leisure battery rather than the 2 of an SE. :thumb

Thanks all, very informative. I'll keep an eye on things over the weekend (something to do when it's raining).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am on the fourth day away in the borders and north east visiting 3 different camp sites. All have been without use of hook up with no problems (no doubt the driving between the sites boosted the charge sufficiently). The 'percentage displayed is unreliable, and I monitor the the voltage as I recharge my computer to watch tv etc, my mobile phone and fridge use.
No problems encountered and my batteries are over 3 years old.

We recently visited Germany and in the 36 degree heat found that our fridge drained the leisure batteries pretty quickly, even though we had it set at 4C. Another trip in the UK this weekend and only about a day and a half's use from full charge when I'm sure we used to get 2-3 three days worth without hookup or recharging from running the engine.

I've noticed too that the fridge is switching off at an indicated battery charge level as high as 40% or even 50%. That, along with the fact that the diesel heater won't fire up any more leads me to wonder if I need to replace the batteries and/or consider the possibility that I have the earth shunt issue and need to deal with that first - or as well.

45mins running the engine - it initially takes 25A, then drops gradually to where the indicated charge is 90-100% keeps us going but the heater will be a problem come the winter and I fear it's time to part with some cash.

Any advice?

Do you ever charge batteries at home ? VW recomend it in maual. How old is your cali. I seem to remember leisure batteries should last 5 years. don't know where it came from though.
May also help in hot weather to open round access panel in lower left kitchen cupboard to help ventilate the compressor.

Andy said:
Do you ever charge batteries at home ? VW recomend it in maual. How old is your cali. I seem to remember leisure batteries should last 5 years. don't know where it came from though.
May also help in hot weather to open round access panel in lower left kitchen cupboard to help ventilate the compressor.

Yes, we do recharge it occasionally at home, via mains hookup and with a CTEK running from the internal mains socket to the dashboard cigarette lighter socket to charge the main battery at the same time. I recently replaced the main battery but have no idea how long the leisure batteries have been in place. We've had it for 2 years now (it's 06) and I don't recall seeing any bills in the history folder for new leisure batts. If that's the case they are overdue for replacement but I don't want to just plough ahead if the earth shunt might be at the root of the matter. Thanks for the tip about the panel!

- Furthermore, I had always been under the impression that the leisure batts in an '06 SE were the AGM type. Having seen the recent posts on here I'm not so sure now and I really don't fancy taking the seat out to search for model numbers. If battery technology has moved on as much as is claimed in the article earlier, is there any point in replacing like for like with the VW originals if a better solution is now available that's compatible with the charging circuitry?

If your CTEK charger is the same as mine it will have a mode to test & attempt to recondition batteries. Might be worth giving this a try. I would imaging that this should/must be done by connecting the CTEK crocodile clips direct to each battery without the battery being connected to the Cali charging system. i.e can you take the batteries out of the van so there is no danger of damaging the built in charging system. Realise that this is probably easier said than done (front one means taking the seat out) so good luck.

johntowers46 said:
My leisure batteries are still the original ones, had engine bay battery changed 2 years ago.

John

Thanks, John. That strengthens my suspicion that the leisure batteries haven't been changed yet. The manual stresses AGM type to be fitted as the charging circuits are set up for them, so I'm going to see if 6 years' progress has produced a same-sized battery with a bit more capacity.

owen_h said:
If your CTEK charger is the same as mine it will have a mode to test & attempt to recondition batteries. Might be worth giving this a try. I would imaging that this should/must be done by connecting the CTEK crocodile clips direct to each battery without the battery being connected to the Cali charging system. i.e can you take the batteries out of the van so there is no danger of damaging the built in charging system. Realise that this is probably easier said than done (front one means taking the seat out) so good luck.

Haha! Yes, I suspect that after taking them out I could loose the will to live, so replacement would be most likely. I have a feeling that the CTEK reconditioning cycle is for Lead Acid batteries rather than the AGM type so might give that a miss. The CTEK is great on long periods of hookup though to keep the main battery fully charged through the front lighter socket. Thanks for the ideas!

RobdeBear said:
johntowers46 said:
My leisure batteries are still the original ones, had engine bay battery changed 2 years ago.

John

Thanks, John. That strengthens my suspicion that the leisure batteries haven't been changed yet. The manual stresses AGM type to be fitted as the charging circuits are set up for them, so I'm going to see if 6 years' progress has produced a same-sized battery with a bit more capacity.

Interesting that your manual is saying the SE is an AGM type. On the Beach the one under the seat is not an AGM (see this thread viewtopic.php?f=104&t=6955&start=15 ).

Let us know what you find in AGM that will fit under the seat. A quick search I did on-line didn't reveal many suitable AGM ones.

owen_h said:
RobdeBear said:
johntowers46 said:

John

Interesting that your manual is saying the SE is an AGM type. On the Beach the one under the seat is not an AGM (see this thread viewtopic.php?f=104&t=6955&start=15 ).

Let us know what you find in AGM that will fit under the seat. A quick search I did on-line didn't reveal many suitable AGM ones.

Interestingly the manual goes on at length about why Lead Acid must NOT be used in the SE lessure battery compartments under any circumstances because of the explosive gases produced on charging. One can only assume that technology and batteries have moved on a lot since 2006. I'm really not looking forward to this as I bet that front seat weighs a ton.

On the Beach there is a vent pipe from the battery to under the van to deal with any gases.

I have twice taken the passenger seat out. Yes it is heavy but no more than the 5th seat. You need to undo 2 bolts and 2 nuts to free it from the base. Also an electrical connection to the airbag. Once the airbag is disconnected dont turn the ignition until its re-connected or you will get a warning light on the dash that can only be reset by VW.
I found reclining the seat forward and removing the headrest made it easier to get in and out through the door.

I find the leisure batteries to be one of the better aspects of the Cali.

I often don't even bother to hook up, even when it is included in my pitch fee, as my batteries go for a good few days at a time.

gatvol said:
I find the leisure batteries to be one of the better aspects of the Cali.

I often don't even bother to hook up, even when it is included in my pitch fee, as my batteries go for a good few days at a time.

If mine haven't needed replacing in 8 years and 60,000 miles I would tend to agree with you. Still, for two at £173 each + VAT + fitting it's worth checking to see if there are improved alternatives now available, in performance and/or price.

Back