Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Stand on the rear bumper?

C

Carabiner

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi,

Is the rear bumper strong enough to stand on? For example, when putting a bellows wrap on, etc.

Thanks!

I've never tried it, but I would think it would crack.

Definitely a “no”!
They don’t make bumpers like they used to!

I'm assuming you do not have a tow bar? It's what I always stand on when I need a quick look on the roof.

Yes but very easy to slip off..got some very bruised shins yesterday
Yeah, may not be the best solution for everyone. Mine is covered with some rubber thing to protect you from grease stains and it's quite ok to stand on.

Thanks All,

Yep, no towbar.

Just getting a pucer bellows cover and his instructions suggest it's ok, but I'm a bit nervous about standing on it. The putting on guidance suggests it's ok…

"Start by opening the sliding door and feed the screen between the strut and the hinge.
Then walk the rest round the front of the van. You can open the drivers’ door and stand on the step to pull round and feed through the strut then the hinge.

Once both sides are covered, stand on the rear bumper and pull the ends in with the adjustable bungee. It needs to be taut but not tight — and that's it!"

I'll see if I can stretch or get a wee stool.

Thanks All,

Yep, no towbar.

Just getting a pucer bellows cover and his instructions suggest it's ok, but I'm a bit nervous about standing on it. The putting on guidance suggests it's ok…

"Start by opening the sliding door and feed the screen between the strut and the hinge.
Then walk the rest round the front of the van. You can open the drivers’ door and stand on the step to pull round and feed through the strut then the hinge.

Once both sides are covered, stand on the rear bumper and pull the ends in with the adjustable bungee. It needs to be taut but not tight — and that's it!"

I'll see if I can stretch or get a wee stool.
The problem with standing on the bumper is that whilst the metal beam beneath it will take the weight you’ll end up scratching the paint (unless you add a protector). Even then I don’t recall the bumper having a firm fix to the metal beam so can flex and potentially damage.
We carry one of those plastic steps (the taller ones you get from Dunelm), handy as a step but doubles up as a side table for drinks.

Definitely a “no”!
They don’t make bumpers like they used to!
No they don't. Now it all has to be fancy, preferably painted.
My white Golf 2 had black firm bumpers, but I also never stood on them.
My Golf 4 had painted bumpers, also didn't stand on them.
And certainly not on those of my California. They basically are just a pocket of air surrounding the metal bumper underneath (like you explained).

No they don't. Now it all has to be fancy, preferably painted.
My white Golf 2 had black firm bumpers, but I also never stood on them.
My Golf 4 had painted bumpers, also didn't stand on them.
And certainly not on those of my California. They basically are just a pocket of air surrounding the metal bumper underneath (like you explained).
My old Volvo 180 was built like a tank! I used to walk over the bonnet to load windsurfing gear!

The problem with standing on the bumper is that whilst the metal beam beneath it will take the weight you’ll end up scratching the paint (unless you add a protector). Even then I don’t recall the bumper having a firm fix to the metal beam so can flex and potentially damage.
We carry one of those plastic steps (the taller ones you get from Dunelm), handy as a step but doubles up as a side table for drinks.
Yeah, that pretty much sums up my assumptions and concerns, but did wonder over the 6.1 versions (so far) if it might have been refined to be ok, scratch risk aside.

We currently have a couple of these footstools for lazing on with the bench, one of which might just do the trick. I'll go and do a bit of cautious testing this weekend, I can probably manage from the ground to fix the wrap at the back, but a wee leg up might make life easier, particularly with the bike rack to confuse things, thanks.
Screenshot 2024-05-17 at 12.42.40.png

Yeah, that pretty much sums up my assumptions and concerns, but did wonder over the 6.1 versions (so far) if it might have been refined to be ok, scratch risk aside.

We currently have a couple of these footstools for lazing on with the bench, one of which might just do the trick. I'll go and do a bit of cautious testing this weekend, I can probably manage from the ground to fix the wrap at the back, but a wee leg up might make life easier, particularly with the bike rack to confuse things, thanks.
View attachment 123481
I would suggest that standing on a folding stool would be inviting it to fold up under you, but it's your risk!

I would suggest that standing on a folding stool would be inviting it to fold up under you, but it's your risk!
Thanks, the design of the one above won't fold as the tubes slot into the molded central bit. Whether it would take my weight without failing is another consideration!

This is a great question which I’ve never thought about.

Just been out to the van, opened the tailgate and had a good bounce on the bumper, walking all the way along its length. I could feel just a tiny bit of give as I bounced, which felt entirely appropriate to what I was asking of it. The only thing that really moved was the rear suspension. The shut line against the panel below the rear lights opened up marginally and then closed back to normal when I got down. Impressive!

This is a great question which I’ve never thought about.

Just been out to the van, opened the tailgate and had a good bounce on the bumper, walking all the way along its length. I could feel just a tiny bit of give as I bounced, which felt entirely appropriate to what I was asking of it. The only thing that really moved was the rear suspension. The shut line against the panel below the rear lights opened up marginally and then closed back to normal when I got down. Impressive!
Mine has the projector on, not sure if that adds a bit of strength, been standing on it for 4 yrs without any apparent harm besides foot prints.

Back