Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

“If I had a quid for every one of these I’ve pulled out of the mud”

Erbster

Erbster

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
This said by campsite owner in very soggy Ledbury yesterday, whilst sitting on his tractor.

I only just escaped “the Somme” using the Fiamma grips under the wheels (twice).

The tyres on our MY17 Ocean are truly useless on soft ground. The campsite owner insisted that snow and mud tyres made no difference.

Any recommendations?
(I did try to tick the 4M box when ordering, but could quite bring myself to)
92ef8cbec57a2905c763a747d78b06a5.jpg

Yes that is why I posted thread about ATM Tyres but there just are none available in 255/45 R18!!!!

So you've been stuck once. How much did it cost you to be towed out? How much is the 4motion option? How many times could you be rescued until the cost of being towed out exceeds the cost of the 4motion? Several hundred times probably, so is the expensive 4motion system really worth having?

I had 4motion and the mechanical diff lock on my previous Cali and didn't have cause to use it once. It's a very nice option to have as long as you are going to use it, if not its just adds extra weight, increased servicing costs, cuts down the availble payload and provides an added complication that may, if you are very unlucky, later lead to expensive repairs. Our van was an ex demo so came with the 4motion but if I were ordering now, I don't think I would tick that box purely on a cost/benefit basis.

As for tyres, unless you went for something very agricultural I doubt if it would make that much difference if it's really boggy. After all the van does weigh the best part of three tonnes with all the camping clobber etc. Best to have the tyres that are the most suited to its main use i.e driving on the roads and not worry about the very rare occasion that you might get stuck.

Last edited:
I pulled a van off it's pitch this morning.

4 motion and MnS tyres, but then it was a medium sized caravan being pulled by a rather small Ford thingy which judging by the direction of the mud exhaust was RWD. No real prizes. A FWD 3 ton Cali with racing slicks would have fared better than the Ford thingy.

What tyres are on your Cali, GJ?

@Borris- I agree, which is why I didn’t tick the box. Even dragging a heavy boat up slimy slipways is fine most of the time.

I was just wondering how much difference tyres make.

For the record, I got myself out. Tractor man turned up to make sure I didn’t plough his camping field.

The Cali was quite forlorn- DSG, as soon as I put it in gear (foot off gas), one wheel would immediately start a leisurely spin. Any attempt at the gas pedal simply resulted in digging in and muck spraying. The fiamma ladders were really good.

What tyres are on your Cali, GJ?

@Borris- I agree, which is why I didn’t tick the box. Even dragging a heavy boat up slimy slipways is fine most of the time.

I was just wondering how much difference tyres make.

For the record, I got myself out. Tractor man turned up to make sure I didn’t plough his camping field.

The Cali was quite forlorn- DSG, as soon as I put it in gear (foot off gas), one wheel would immediately start a leisurely spin. Any attempt at the gas pedal simply resulted in digging in and muck spraying. The fiamma ladders were really good.

Michelin Cross Climate. Seen a lot of action in mud recently and so far quite undisturbed by the whole thing although I am under no illusions that the depth of mud that there is around may well exceed limits somewhere.

I am sticking to hard standing for a while

We wanted DSG 4 motion, bought it and have never regretted it. This Easter we crept onto a field everyone else was stuck on and then crept off again. The campsite owner was amazed.

Any recommendations?

For tyres?

The Michelin Latitude Cross gets great reviews by all who use them. Unfortunately for me, no suitable 18" size available.. so I'm still looking

Or other clever 'extract your self from the mud' techniques assuming there isn't anyone around to pull you out?

If you have a compressor, air down the drive tires. This will often help as long as the vehicle isn't beached, just slipping on slime.

Can also try this or this. I've done that with a table cloth and oddly enough, once tried the same with a tow rope. Both occasions with great success! Not tried the stick, but looks like it works well too.

I ordered a 4M this time, but will always have a couple of lengths of rope and a table cloth on board anyway ;)

We used to carry a bag of cinders ftom the fire, but we don't have one anymore.
So now we carry a small bag of cat litter to get extra grip in snow but we have never used it.

Do the Michelin Cross Climate tyres have a snowflake symbol as required in Germany/Austria etc?

My Conti Vanco FourSeason 2 are fantastic in mud and also have a snowflake symbol on them.

Having said that I've just put the vanity wheels on for the summer which have normal summer tyres so will proceed to get stuck in lots of fields now :D:D:D

Never got stuck with my Goodyear Vector 4 Season's in 3 years, always a first time though. ;)

I take a sealed plastic box of road salt with me as insurance. If I have it, I don't ever need it. Doesn't take up much space but gives me reassurance if I do get into a snowy situation.
I have Goodyear Vectors, like @MattBW and others, and haven't got stuck yet, but have had a few close calls with mud in campsites this year already.

For tyres?
Can also try this or this. I've done that with a table cloth and oddly enough, once tried the same with a tow rope. Both occasions with great success! Not tried the stick, but looks like it works well too.

I ordered a 4M this time, but will always have a couple of lengths of rope and a table cloth on board anyway ;)
Those are great ideas! Simple too.

With the stick, you would need to be careful not to foul anything vital as the wheel goes round.

I'm surprised no one has come up with something proprietary using those ideas.

Off to find some strapping! :)

If you’re REALLY desperate and there’s no help around, you can use your footwell mats to gain traction.. final option I guess but it works.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Michelin Latitude Cross gets great reviews by all who use them. Unfortunately for me, no suitable 18" size available.. so I'm still looking

Ever looked to try these in the slightly larger 255-55 R18 size (10% extra on the height)?. Few reports on here by others that they fit with no major clearance issues.

Similar boat myself right now with the summer wheels going back on and needing something more robust than the OEM Conti's.

Off to try and find the thread mentioned above by @Gazellio as its exactly where I find myself right now. May go to 17's for summer and winter wheels - its just so much easier.

This said by campsite owner in very soggy Ledbury yesterday, whilst sitting on his tractor.

I only just escaped “the Somme” using the Fiamma grips under the wheels (twice).

The tyres on our MY17 Ocean are truly useless on soft ground. The campsite owner insisted that snow and mud tyres made no difference.

Any recommendations?
(I did try to tick the 4M box when ordering, but could quite bring myself to)
92ef8cbec57a2905c763a747d78b06a5.jpg
I just go for hard standing unless the weather is very dry and as I live in Cumbria and holiday in Scotland that is not very often!

Never got stuck with my Goodyear Vector 4 Season's in 3 years, always a first time though. ;)
I think those are the same as ours Matt they have the three peaks as well as the snowflake the better rating on the four season tyres, They were very good when driving in France the end of last year when we woke up to deep snow and had to drive many miles on untreated roads.

Back