Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

1.9m v 2.0m in France . .... ?

HectorPascal

HectorPascal

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Our last visit to France in a Cali was in SEP19. We were surprised to see that all (or most) of the old 2.0m height barriers are now 1.9m. Either they have not been changed which is more likely or they have been which is more worrying. Have they done this to limit liability damage claims OR have they done this to put off people with VW conversions.

If they have been lowered then one of the main advantages of Cali-sized vehicles has gone?

Anyone got any info on this?

Simple: drive up to a barrier, let one get out and look/measure if you can pass under it.
I have seen barriers saying 2m, but when under it I had more than 10cm left. So if they just lower it 10cm, you still can pass. Just beware of bumps or slopes near the barrier. Your van doesn't bend halfway in length. And if it does, you are in big trouble.

I came across a 6’6” barrier near Havant today. I didn’t dare!

Simple: drive up to a barrier, let one get out and look/measure if you can pass under it.
I have seen barriers saying 2m, but when under it I had more than 10cm left. So if they just lower it 10cm, you still can pass. Just beware of bumps or slopes near the barrier. Your van doesn't bend halfway in length. And if it does, you are in big trouble.
Yea, do this on the 30kmh toll tag lane :)

Yea, do this on the 30kmh toll tag lane :)
Last time I drove there (september, France) it was still 2m.
First time I went through, I did it at 0,5 km/h. Looking scared and afraid to hear something scratch. Nothing.
All the next times I take those lanes I just fly through. Except for those that hang sloped, then I take the next lane.

Or the A86 Duplex Tunnel!
You guys actually drive that close to Paris?
When coming from the A1, I get off at Senlis. Drive around Ermenonville, follow the N330 to Meaux. Then on to the N36 to Melun. Might be crowdy at Meaux, but no stress in traffic jams and rushed Parisiens. And you see something else than motorways.

Also handy for Breeze Havant/Portsmouth.

The Hymer Vision Venture concept vehicle. Some great ideas there. Both my wife and love the thing.

I had a 1.9m height barrier closed on me while I was asleep in a car park in France last night. I had to escape the wrong way down a one way street with a helpful French lay stopping the traffic..

Lady....

We noticed this 2/3 years ago in certain areas of France. Mainly coastal areas. It think it's to stop people camping in the car parks.

We noticed this 2/3 years ago in certain areas of France. Mainly coastal areas. It think it's to stop people camping in the car parks.
It was by the coast. It’s a shame that these height restrictions are now spreading into the continent.

This transition to 1.9m barrier height on public carparks was noticeably more prevalent during my recent trip to the Bourgogne region. I carry a laser measuring device just to check heights as I don't have a 'spotter' and sure enough the ones I checked were precisely set to 1.9m. Obviously I would never attempt to limbo under a 1.9m restricted parking spot but was curious to see how much wiggle room was allowed. Clearly Campervans are not welcome in many public parking areas.

Found parking in major cities like Bordeaux, Nice and Lyon virtually impossible on my recent rugby World Cup trip. Street parking god knows where only option - and then at some crazy prices.