Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

1-Wobbly tow bar & 2-revolving the front seats

John Herbert

John Herbert

Once a camper ...
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi All

Have bought a February 2017 T6 Ocean and am going through the learning curve.

1 - The VW factory removable tow bar was fitted to the Ocean, at my request by the dealer, The idea was that the tow bar was to be used to fit a Atera Strada bike rack. Never tried as the rack was to heavy to install and difficulties to store. Will instead now be fitting a back door permanently installed VW bike rack. Anyway yesterday wiped the tow bar and found that it "wobbles" from side to side. Surely that's wrong? How do you tighten it up or is it designed to wobble?

2 - Revolving the front seats. I have concluded that they can only be turned round by first opening the front doors and turning the seats around from outside California. This seems OK if the weather is good (if only) but in the wind and rain not so good. Is there a way of turning the seats round from inside the California when the weather is bad?

Thanks for any helpful response.

1) Do you have the removable swan neck tow bar? It should not move at all, once locked into position it should be solid. Sounds like it isn't fitted correctly and fully locked into position. This video may assist with the process to fit/remove it if you are unfamiliar.

2) yes, only swivel doors with the door open - avoids scraping/damaging the door trim.

1) Do you have the removable swan neck tow bar? It should not move at all, once locked into position it should be solid. Sounds like it isn't fitted correctly and fully locked into position. This video may assist with the process to fit/remove it if you are unfamiliar.

2) yes, only swivel doors with the door open - avoids scraping/damaging the door trim.
Concerning 2), it seems your dealer was not thorough in explaining this feature to you. Tch, tch.....
Also, don't forget to disengage the handbrake when turning the drivers seat too.

Edit: Sorry should have replied to @John Herbert

Last edited:
It amazes me that VW still haven't modified the seat swivel or door card so that the seats can be swiveled without opening a door. Especially when aftermarket swivels do allow for turning the seat without opening a door.

Rod

I usually rotate my seats from inside, but as others state, you do need to open the door slightly to give the required clearance.

It amazes me that VW still haven't modified the seat swivel or door card so that the seats can be swiveled without opening a door. Especially when aftermarket swivels do allow for turning the seat without opening a door.

Rod
And have height adjustment!

• Agree
Reactions: DM
I usually rotate my seats from inside, but as others state, you do need to open the door slightly to give the required clearance.
Yes - it's frustrating - I find the passenger door only needs to be opened about half an inch and can be swivelled from inside. But the drivers side really needs to. W done from outside.

The tow hook is not locked into the tow bar properly if it wobbles. Try removing and refitting it. It is a little awkward to do.

BTW, did you know that there is a space in the tool kit specially designed for the removable hook and it's lock keys? So there is no need to keep it on the bar, unless you want some additional rear end protection.

Alan

Hi All

Have bought a February 2017 T6 Ocean and am going through the learning curve.

1 - The VW factory removable tow bar was fitted to the Ocean, at my request by the dealer, The idea was that the tow bar was to be used to fit a Atera Strada bike rack. Never tried as the rack was to heavy to install and difficulties to store. Will instead now be fitting a back door permanently installed VW bike rack. Anyway yesterday wiped the tow bar and found that it "wobbles" from side to side. Surely that's wrong? How do you tighten it up or is it designed to wobble?

2 - Revolving the front seats. I have concluded that they can only be turned round by first opening the front doors and turning the seats around from outside California. This seems OK if the weather is good (if only) but in the wind and rain not so good. Is there a way of turning the seats round from inside the California when the weather is bad?

Thanks for any helpful response.

There's a helpful video here which explains it pretty well.

Thanks for response.

Have to accept that will need to get out of California to turn the front seats.

As to the "tow bar wobble " dealer accepts that product is faulty and will replace with a brand new complete tow bar bracket and new removable tow ball. Lets hope the solves the problem. Was lucky in some way that the removable ball bracket was not left in the storage waiting for when it would be needed, best to find out now!