Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

10,000 miles per annum limit with Comfort on Beach Camper

H

HONESTVIKING1

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Whilst trying to be ahead of the game for the arrival at Breeze of our new Beach Camper, (3 weeks still stuck in a European port) I checked out the advice on the forum for insurance.
First port of call Comfort, quoted £396.66 but with a limitation of 10,000 miles per annum.
LV with requested 15,000 mile limitation, no issues, £247.37 and likewise AIB at £487.96
I felt that Comfort were much more professional in the questions they posed regarding the quote and I would be prepared to go with them but for the mileage annual limit their underwriters have placed on the Beach Camper.
Anyone else had similar experience? I'll be getting back on to Comfort with the info from the other 2 quotes to see if they will reconsider their
stance.

Insurance is insurance is insurance.

All of them will pay and fully professional outfits.

If the question is “should I pay nearly twice as much for less miles because the questions were better” then my advice would be no.

Insurance is insurance is insurance.

All of them will pay and fully professional outfits.

If the question is “should I pay nearly twice as much for less miles because the questions were better” then my advice would be no.
The questioning was more along the lines of 'have other Beach Camper owners had similar mileage restrictions imposed by Comfort or other companies? I want to be insured for a mileage in excess of what I may do.

It's a strange thing. They don't ask the mileage of the van when you Insure it, so how would they know if you did more than 10k?

It's a strange thing. They don't ask the mileage of the van when you Insure it, so how would they know if you did more than 10k?
On slightly older vans they can check easily by the MOT records

The questioning was more along the lines of 'have other Beach Camper owners had similar mileage restrictions imposed by Comfort or other companies? I want to be insured for a mileage in excess of what I may do.
I’m with Comfort for our Ocean with cover for unlimited mileage. Out of interest I did get quotes from them for 8000 and 10000 miles pa which were a bit cheaper (but not a huge amount).

On slightly older vans they can check easily by the MOT records
So if you drive 10001 miles and had a crash its void? All insurers ask for mileage per year and most drivers just guess. Including me. The mot mileage Is only accurate at the time of the mot Your insurance may be due 6 months later. How they know is beyond me. You mot the van. Mileage 30k. 6 months later you Insure the van. Ypuve done now 40k. They don't ask for mileage. How do they know how far you've drove in that 6 month? They don't do they. Then you may only do 600 mile before the next mot but your insurance says your over but you've only been with them 6 month

That doesn't mean your going to do the mileage that year does it. It can't do
No but it gives a pretty good indicator doesn’t it. We have 4 different policies at home can’t remember which is for which vehicle but some are estimated mileage, one is definitely did you go over you are not insured so need to let us know.

No but it gives a pretty good indicator doesn’t it. We have 4 different policies at home can’t remember which is for which vehicle but some are estimated mileage, one is definitely did you go over you are not insured so need to let us know.
No. It doesn't. Lockdowns? Remember them? Did we get a refund from the insurers for insuring our vans at 10k and only doing 1k? Insurance is a necessary evil . If your going to moan about a few miles it's time to change insurers

No. It doesn't. Lockdowns? Remember them?
And in lockdown you were unlikely to exceed the limit, a number of insurance cos actually gave refunds due to less miles covered. So what’s the problem.

Thanks so far. Comfort stated that the 10,000 mile restriction on the Beach Camper was because it did'nt have a kitchen, they had no probs with the Ocean. LV and AIB had no issues with 'no kitchen'

And in lockdown you were unlikely to exceed the limit, a number of insurance cos actually gave refunds due to less miles covered. So what’s the problem.
I didn't. Did you?

I’m with Comfort for our Ocean with cover for unlimited mileage. Out of interest I did get quotes from them for 8000 and 10000 miles pa which were a bit cheaper (but not a huge amount).
GG thanks, that's what I'd like to hear from the insurers.
I don't mind paying more for the perceived extra annual mileage and would prefer, for peace of mind, that I am covered in the event of a claim. Insurers are well adept at investigating a claim and voiding it on the excuse of the punter having exceeded the annual allowance

I didn't. Did you?
My mileage actually went up, construction sites were still open & due to relaxed parking restrictions in central London it was safer and easier to drive rather than use the train.
Still within my stated limit - I always declare higher than expected mileage to give a buffer.

My mileage actually went up, construction sites were still open & due to relaxed parking restrictions in central London it was safer and easier to drive rather than use the train.
Still within my stated limit - I always declare higher than expected mileage to give a buffer.
Ok. Well i also worked through the scamdemic. I'm wondering how many people got a refund on their mileage allowance. Anyone ?

Ok. Well i also worked through the scamdemic. I'm wondering how many people got a refund on their mileage allowance. Anyone ?

Actually my wife did get a rebate from Admiral during lockdown due to the reduced car usage, though I don't remember the amount, just that it was a nice gesture.

Whilst trying to be ahead of the game for the arrival at Breeze of our new Beach Camper, (3 weeks still stuck in a European port) I checked out the advice on the forum for insurance.
First port of call Comfort, quoted £396.66 but with a limitation of 10,000 miles per annum.
LV with requested 15,000 mile limitation, no issues, £247.37 and likewise AIB at £487.96
I felt that Comfort were much more professional in the questions they posed regarding the quote and I would be prepared to go with them but for the mileage annual limit their underwriters have placed on the Beach Camper.
Anyone else had similar experience? I'll be getting back on to Comfort with the info from the other 2 quotes to see if they will reconsider their
stance.

Yes - I’ve had exactly that problem. A 10,000 mile limit.

We were away from home, in Greece I think, when renewal fell due. Our insurer at the time quoted a ludicrous premium following two minor crashes (both were later settled as the other driver’s fault). The only sensible premium we found giving 270 days overseas cover had a 10,000 mile limit.

Finding a new insurer when you are not at home is a nightmare, so we took the offer with the advice that we contact the insurer again when we got close to 10,000 miles. It took about 8 months. The insurer then refused to cover us so after just 8 months we had to take out a whole new policy.

In non pandemic years we expect to do 16,000 miles in our van.

Back