Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

12 V socket installation and LPG installation

Eber123

Eber123

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
Good afternoon,

After many issues and many repairs / updates my GC 600 starts to get usable. Now I can plan to implement some changes that makes our camper life a wee bit more comfortable, secure or easier.

Have I said that, I am very nervous to get any changes implemented just in case the issues start again....

We don't have a satellite dish installed and because of this we don't have the 12 V socket over the window were the back seats are. But we would like to get a 12 V TV installed. I spoke the a company in Northern Ireland (I can't find anybody in ROI to do any work on a Grand California) and they said it should be easy either to replace the 2x USB socket with a 12 V socket or add another 12 V socket close to the USB sockets.

My question is has somebody already done it? Is it really that easy? Are there even the cables for the 12 V socket in place (pre wired from the satellite dish?).

Also I plan to get the gas setup changed from the none refillable gas cylinders to the refillable LPG system from Gaslow. That will be done by the same company in Northern Ireland. I also was wondering if somebody has done it and what are your experience?

Thank you for your help.

Regards,
Eberhard

Also I plan to get the gas setup changed from the none refillable gas cylinders to the refillable LPG system from Gaslow.
What none refillable cylinders have you got then? other than the tiny camping stove canisters I thought all gas cylinders were refillable.

@Jester has had the gaslow system fitted, see here:

What none refillable cylinders have you got then? other than the tiny camping stove canisters I thought all gas cylinders were refillable.

Hello,

At the moment I have 2x of the red propane gas cylinders in the Grand California. Cooking is not problem because it uses not a lot of gas, but warm water and heating is more challanging. I have no experience, but I have read several times that 2x 11 kg gas cylinder will last for about 2x weeks if used full time for heating and warm water.

Those red propane gas cylinders are ok as long as we stay in Ireland or go to UK because we can swap them everywhere but not abroad.

Here are the advantages of the LPG system in the way I see it and I believe I have understood it:

1.)
Propane cylinders must be empty to exchange with a new one. If there is still gas in the "empty" cylinder it is lost.

2.)
Red propane gas cylinders can only be refilled by a company. Meaning if you believe you still have some gas left, but need maybe more during a week of traveling for example it is tricky to plan the gas supply. With LPG you just fill up like the diesel for the camper.

3.)
I fully except that the installation of a LPG system is (very) expensive. But after that the gas itself it is far cheaper.

Many campervans and motorhomes have a gas heater. Why they have all the standard propane gas cylinders is a mystery to me. Why don't the manufacturers not offer as standard LPG I don't know. Why does VW not offer at least as an option LPG? Have I said that I believe some UK manufacturer offer it as standard. Super.

Happy warm Grand California,
Eberhard

@Jester has had the gaslow system fitted, see here:

Hello Jester,

Thank you for the link, I didn't see that post. The second example of the LPG setup is what I had in mind. I hope I can manage to get it installed in April (have to save moneuy). If it is done I will post some pictures and information.

Regards,
Eberhard

We have an underslung LPG tank. Works very well.

Back