Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

12 volt + and - supply - dash cam / additional devices..

Phil Hall

Phil Hall

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I do not want to use the cigarette lighter I want to install/wire direct. What is the easiest way to wire directly? I will purchase a direct kit with fuse etc. I need to connect up near the dashboard; thoughts were somewhere near the fuse box below the pull out cigarette lighter tray. Alternatively maybe from the control panel at top of the windscreen which would be ideal as dash cam will be mounted on windscreen not far from that position.

Problem is I do not now how to get to this access point, as in popping out the appropriate panel to get access to a wiring point. Help?

I do not want to use the cigarette lighter I want to install/wire direct. What is the easiest way to wire directly? I will purchase a direct kit with fuse etc. I need to connect up near the dashboard; thoughts were somewhere near the fuse box below the pull out cigarette lighter tray. Alternatively maybe from the control panel at top of the windscreen which would be ideal as dash cam will be mounted on windscreen not far from that position.

Problem is I do not now how to get to this access point, as in popping out the appropriate panel to get access to a wiring point. Help?
I had it done for me and it's all tucked away behind the dash. It's a Blackvue camera which came with a 'Power Magic Pro' gadget which allows it to keep running when you leave it but prevents it from running down your engine battery. The power magic proc is in behind the radio head unit. Happy to recommend the guy that did mine.

Did you see this thread where @Loz described how he installed a camera into a T6? Can't be that different for a T5.

Did you see this thread where @Loz described how he installed a camera into a T6? Can't be that different for a T5.
Brilliant thread thank you, and also to Loz. Obviously my searching prowess is not that good.
Will have a look at the degree of difficulty tomorrow may ending up going back to Properjob for contact. Thanks all.

Problem is I do not now how to get to this access point, as in popping out the appropriate panel to get access to a wiring point. Help?[/QUO

(This suggestion from a T5.1 owner). Try the overhead light unit first for a constant power supply, (it dismantles easily), if no go there, i.e. it 'times out' in the canbus system, route from the side / headlamp lighting switch (end of dash small panel should be removable with drivers door open), then up the A pillar drivers side (spring loose the A pillar trim strip) and across above the roof trim to the overhead light unit, use a flexible net curtain springy wire to pull through. Check your dash cam power is '12v in' or USB 5v, Good luck with a neat installation.

Sorry to be a pain but do you know how to pop out the headlamp/lighting switch.
Saw a VW guy do it on my unit but he was so fast I did not get it. Thanks

Back