Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

12 Volt kettles

Glad it works for you and it is worth the wait.

Glad it works for you and it is worth the wait.
That has yet to be fully determined. I'll report back when it has its first field test. But I am optimistic that it will be of particular use when we camp without unpacking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wonder if it has boiled yet? @Amarillo
Boiled once at home: 750ml took 45 minutes from cold.

Fifth night away with it, but have used gas each time for tea/coffee. The 12v kettle is for when we have no access to gas, e.g. when we camp overnight without unpacking (we have a Beach, so no fitted kitchen).

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Boiled once at home: 750ml took 45 minutes from cold.

Fifth night away with it, but have used gas each time for tea/coffee. The 12v kettle is for when we have no access to gas, e.g. when we camp overnight without unpacking (we have a Beach, so no fitted kitchen).

Thanks Tom, whilst very slow I can see how it can be used in certain circumstances.

I tried to boil the kettle yesterday morning and failed. The kettle cut out after a few minutes. When I started the boil the battery was more than half drained, 2 bars out of 5 and 11.8 volts. When I checked later it was 1 bar out of 5 and 11.3 volts.

I might try again the morning after tomorrow.

I tried to boil the kettle yesterday morning and failed. The kettle cut out after a few minutes. When I started the boil the battery was more than half drained, 2 bars out of 5 and 11.8 volts. When I checked later it was 1 bar out of 5 and 11.3 volts.

You must be parched!

Successfully boiled the kettle yesterday morning. I put it on while I packed the van and Clare went to play frisbee with Meg and the boys. 25 minutes later it had boiled 350ml of water and Clare was able to make her thermos of tea for the journey.

Using a 12v kettle will quickly run the batteries down. Don’t think your solar panel will recharge what you draw out of the battery in several hours Far better to run the engine while you boil the kettle.
Let’s say as a tea drinker. Waiting 25 mins for a cuppa would drive me mad.
I bought a small one burner stove runs on cheap throw away cylinders. Boils 2 pints of water in around 5 mins. Also doubles up as a cooker for cooking outside and works a treat on my new ridge monkey cooking pan being portable. You can make tea while packing away for the journey home
if like me on the way home stop off in a car park. Get chairs out. Make tea and a toasty sandwich , fair better than spending money buying tea from service stops. The tea is ******
I do understand what you are trying to do but the stress on the batteries and fear of blowing a fuse would only cause hassle. If you are. Unable to fix it yourself , far better to keep the battery voltage for running the fridge. Lastly if you blow the main fuse. Your food spoils in the fridge :(

Using a 12v kettle will quickly run the batteries down. Don’t think your solar panel will recharge what you draw out of the battery in several hours Far better to run the engine while you boil the kettle.
Let’s say as a tea drinker. Waiting 25 mins for a cuppa would drive me mad.
I bought a small one burner stove runs on cheap throw away cylinders. Boils 2 pints of water in around 5 mins. Also doubles up as a cooker for cooking outside and works a treat on my new ridge monkey cooking pan being portable. You can make tea while packing away for the journey home
if like me on the way home stop off in a car park. Get chairs out. Make tea and a toasty sandwich , fair better than spending money buying tea from service stops. The tea is ******
I do understand what you are trying to do but the stress on the batteries and fear of blowing a fuse would only cause hassle. If you are. Unable to fix it yourself , far better to keep the battery voltage for running the fridge. Lastly if you blow the main fuse. Your food spoils in the fridge :(
The secondary purpose for an electric kettle is a back up for gas - having a gas back up for gas doesn't seem logical. We already have two gas appliances: Cadac and stove.

Our new system for packing up is to do as much as possible the night before - including packing the gas and both stoves. The kettle does run down the battery pretty quickly, but the combination of 200 watts of panels and the trickle charge from driving over 2 to 4 hours quickly fully replenishes the leisure battery.

The Waeco kettle appears to be properly made, with thick cord and a cut out should the voltage drop too low. We never intend to use it for day to day hot drinks, for day to day use gas is far better.

I agree I have gas and a cadac and a small stand alone cooker. £12. And 5 cylinders £7. Prefer like you to pack up night before So can make tea and snack anywhere but I’m still learning

It's now late afternoon and the charger is showing the panels as giving 19 Volts and 3.9 amps. At that rate of recharge, it will take 2 hours to recharge the battery after the kettle has boiled 750 ml of water.

No - Clare's flask has a large cap to use as a small cup. One kettle of 350 ml water gives 400 ml of tea with milk - four 100 ml caps/cups. It lasted the whole drive. I rarely drink tea, preferring water. So one 12v kettle = happy wife = happy life.

That is one cup of tea for me

All that fuss for some thee ....open some wine instead....:bananadance2

Or boil a ketlle on gas .
I can't see the point of a 12v water cooker , taking that long , sorry .
Those canisters of gas cost hardly nothing and can boil a lot of water and food .

Those canisters of gas cost hardly nothing and can boil a lot of water and food .
It is not about cost. It is about having a way to make hot drinks when the gas and cooker is packed.

We used the kettle again today - 750ml of water. The gas and stove were prepacked under the bed the night before. At 8.30am the kettle went on. By the time I'd taken down the tent. lowered the lower bed, and packed the rest of the van, the kettle had boiled and we had tea and coffee. Previously we couldn't start packing until after breakfast as the gas and stove are about the first things to be packed. Now we can do much packing after dinner the night before. This means we can get away earlier, and don't have to stop for breakfast on the way; we then arrive at the next campsite earlier. This is important as the nights close in. Even in Southern Europe it is pitch black by 6pm in mid December.

I estimate that using the electric kettle gets us off site 1 hour earlier.

Back