Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

12 Volt Television

greenp

greenp

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
TV while Wild Camping controversial I know ..... However please help. looking at TVs today in PC world it seems I can get a hard wired TV / DVD player 240volt via 3 pin plug OR a jack plug power supply via a transformer, the later is 240volt in and 14 volt out. How do people do this? can I plug a 14volt TV into a cigarette lighter with the appropriate lead? or do I plug the transformer via pin into the Cali invertor then the original lead into the TV.. If anyone can recommend a make and model number that would be good. I only want to spend £100 to £200 as this will be a rainy day distraction ..... I don't even watch TV at home LOL

A bit off what you asked, but have you got a tablet pc of some sort?

There's several micro usb tv tuners that work with android tablets/phone or the eye TV that works with the Ipad. My cheep android one works fine - paid about £15 of ebay - its very rare I watch the TV when away so I wanted to spend as little as possible to be honest!

Failing that there's several 12v tvs available - the avtex ones seem to have good feedback and you can usually pick one up around the top end of your budget.

I use a Chrome Book but would need WiFi to pick up TV I think?... If poss looking for a recommendation of a TV make model I can power from 12 volts... but thanks for your help

I have a Linsar 12v tv, works great on 12v and I use it at home when not travelling. TV signal I find is the hardest thing to get right. I've used it in the T25 many times with a dvd on a rainy night. My experience of camping though is the bigger ones take up too much precious space in a smaller camper. Integrated may be the way to go if TV is important to you.

That is why I mainly use a tiny Aiptek 12v portable tv, small, built in media player runs off mains too and has a 4 hour battery life. It even has limited DVR recording functions bizarrely. I find that better in the beach to carry about as its small enough to hide in a drawer for when we are stuck inside and also does DAB radio. :) Even said I hardly use it and have been pondering selling it but they are so cheap now its hardly worth it.

Disadvantage of both is that the viewing angle is very direct.

Hi
I have an avtex 12v tv dvd in van and it is really good, it was expensive though.
I've fitted an Avtex swing out arm where the grab strap was by passenger seat, so tv swung round and can be viewed outside the van or tucked out of sight if rear side blind is left down

Hi
I have an avtex 12v tv dvd in van and it is really good, it was expensive though.
I've fitted an Avtex swing out arm where the grab strap was by passenger seat, so tv swung round and can be viewed outside the van or tucked out of sight if rear side blind is left down
The Avtex TV sounds good. Basic questions but where do I plug it in and how easy is it to tune in? And where do you store it? Thank you!

I've got an avtex as well. You can either plug into 12v socket or 240v with the supplied power adapter. Currently I use the inverter socket on the passenger B pillar as it suits my needs better.
We store ours in an avtex carry case and keep in the wardrobe when not in use.
Tuning in is really easy, just press the tuning button on the remote and job done!

Sent from my Galaxy S6

I plug mine in, in the same place (12v socket side of passenger seat). Don't store it away as I have it fixed on an arm where the grab strap was and swing it round against last rear side window and keep that blind shut.
The avtex arm is really good as it swings the other way do I can watch it outside the van or pretty much any seat you want to view it in.

I too have the Avtex TV, and it's brill 12v and 240v. Haven't got round to getting a case for it yet, so store it in the box it came with with the polystyrene for protection.

Some on this forum get on well with the Avtex suction mounted aerial, but I've never had much luck with it neither getting good signal strength, or it falling off all of the time. The only time I got a really strong signal with 50+ free view channels was at Deb Freeze in Staffs. But I was quickly deflated, when somebody mentioned that the TV signal was so strong there that they didn't even need an aerial :(.

What I do use is an aluminium aerial pole (in 3 sections) threaded through the slats of the bike carrier and held in place with one of the bike rack prongs, and an oldish metal pronged aerial which I bought for my caravan many years ago. Touch wood the reception has been brilliant wherever I've used it.

The Avtex TV has also got free sat built in, so that might be an option to use in the future.

I have that aerial can get a good pic as long as I'm not in the middle of nowhere in Scotland! I cable tie it to bike rack whilst away and then cut it off when not on hols so no thiefs know I have a TVs in the van. The suction mount is rubbish!!!

Agreed the suction mount is by far the worst part of the avtex. I've broken three of them (all replaced under the excellent 2 year warranty).
Works fairly well as long as I power it separately - the TV no longer seems to power it

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Just to feedback on the tv solutios I've just gone for in the Cali....as I know a lot of people ask and I'm more than happy with the results.

Cello 16" 12v TV from ebay - really competitive price of £138.99
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221930901508?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Galant headrest bracket -£39.95 - mounted to the passenger seat and TV plugged into the 12v socket on the cupboards (UK version 12v socket)
http://www.gallantuk.com/TVMonitor_Headrest_Mounting_Bracket/p2271482_14615359.aspx

Maplins Aerial - £16.99 (Very,very Strong Magnet)
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/nikkai-dvb-t-mobile-tv-ariel-a30gy

I'm very please with the results - I nearly bought the 22" version they offer but it would have just looked ridiculous in the Cali and the 16" TV is stored in my brandrup seat pocket tidy thingy - Perfect! :thumb

Just to feedback on the tv solutios I've just gone for in the Cali....as I know a lot of people ask and I'm more than happy with the results.

Cello 16" 12v TV from ebay - really competitive price of £138.99
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221930901508?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Galant headrest bracket -£39.95 - mounted to the passenger seat and TV plugged into the 12v socket on the cupboards (UK version 12v socket)
http://www.gallantuk.com/TVMonitor_Headrest_Mounting_Bracket/p2271482_14615359.aspx

Maplins Aerial - £16.99 (Very,very Strong Magnet)
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/nikkai-dvb-t-mobile-tv-ariel-a30gy

I'm very please with the results - I nearly bought the 22" version they offer but it would have just looked ridiculous in the Cali and the 16" TV is stored in my brandrup seat pocket tidy thingy - Perfect! :thumb
Whereabouts do you mount the aerial?

Whereabouts do you mount the aerial?

Just on the side of the van half on the passenger front door half on the metal work above/side sliding window. Cable run through the top of the door. It wont stick to the roof with it being Alloy but I'm sure something could easily manufactured to fin in the roof rails if needs be.

Out of interest, as a tv is low wattage, can you not use a standard tv in the inverter socket??

Yes I suppose you could on the newer Cali's the TV comes with both 240v and 12v power packs.

With mine being an older one I don't get the option though :(

I'm no sparky but I'm sure there's power loss with inverters rather than plugging straight into the 12v socket if that's all you need - but I could be wrong!

Just on the side of the van half on the passenger front door half on the metal work above/side sliding window. Cable run through the top of the door. It wont stick to the roof with it being Alloy but I'm sure something could easily manufactured to fin in the roof rails if needs be.
I usually stand the aerial on the front shelf with the roof up. There is only the cloth tent in the way. Works most of the time.

Back