Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

12v lighter plug still on when Van Parked and locked

Stephen R

Stephen R

Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
When I plug my GPS into the 12v socket on the dash and lock the car the light indicates that the GPS is still receiving a charge. Is there anyway to make the socket not provide power when the van is locked?

Last edited by a moderator:
It is normal , the 12v socket on dash stays live even afther taking out the key of the contact also on my 2012 SE .
Allthough some say theirs does diffrent....VW thing i guess

When I plug my GPS into the 12v socket on the dash and lock the car the light indicates that the GPS is still receiving a charge. Is there anyway to make the socket not provide power when the van is locked?
On mine the Dashtop 12v socket runs from the Leisure Batteries - Always ON.

Have you tried the 12v socket/Cigarette Lighter Socket in the Pull-Out tray. On mine that runs from the Engine Battery and is Ignition Controlled.

Last edited:
How do you know the socket on top of the dash runs from the leisure batteries?
I only ask as the socket on my T6 transporter is always live and obviously there is no leisure battery.

How do you know the socket on top of the dash runs from the leisure batteries?
I only ask as the socket on my T6 transporter is always live and obviously there is no leisure battery.
Plugged in a Voltmeter and disconnected the Starter Battery. May be different on the T6.

I just tested all the 12V sockets in my Ocean. All are live all the time - i.e. NOT ignition controlled. I'm not sure whether they are off the engine or leisure battery though. That is obviously helpful in camping mode but does have drawbacks. I would like an ignition controlled feed for a dashcam. Can anyone suggest an easy place to pick up an ignition controlled feed that does not involve taking the dashboard apart or invalidating the warranty?

Easiest place on Vag vehicles for ignition switched live is the headlight switch. That will have both ignition and permanent live wires. Access via the side panel of the dashboard (one that's only visible with door open).
If you want to pull the switch out of the housing then with it in the off position push in hard and then turn clockwise about 90 deg.

• Thanks
Reactions: DM
Not very safe leaving your sat nav on display when you leave your vehicle imo.

I just tested all the 12V sockets in my Ocean. All are live all the time - i.e. NOT ignition controlled. I'm not sure whether they are off the engine or leisure battery though. That is obviously helpful in camping mode but does have drawbacks. I would like an ignition controlled feed for a dashcam. Can anyone suggest an easy place to pick up an ignition controlled feed that does not involve taking the dashboard apart or invalidating the warranty?
Have a look at this thread.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/t6-fuse-number-for-dashcam.15683/
Worked for me. Got a hardwire kit for the dash cam, then piggybacked the fuse indicated in that thread. Managed to tuck wires around trim, didn't need to take anything off, except the fuse cover, which is the bottle holder in the comfort dash.
I may try another fuse as, annoyingly, the stop-start seems to restart the dash cam - probably the dip caused by the starter.

On mine the Dashtop 12v socket runs from the Leisure Batteries - Always ON.

Have you tried the 12v socket/Cigarette Lighter Socket in the Pull-Out tray. On mine that runs from the Engine Battery and is Ignition Controlled.

Same here on my T6 Beach

Thanks for all the replies. I agree that unpluging it is no great hardship, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't a trick. I do tend to hide my GPS when I am out and about but not so much when its parked in the garage.

All my 12v sockets are live all the time.

Back