Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

15 months and finally I can make a choice.

ChrisB

ChrisB

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
What a saga this is turning out to be. I live in Spain and have been researching the purchase of a VW California. After 15 months of hassle and delays, it turns out that I am down to just 3 options:
1. Buy a brand new Ocean 150CV DSG 4 motion with extras at 59k (ish) euros. (6/7 month waiting list)
2. Buy either a second hand 2015 model T5 comfortline 180DSG or a 2016 modelT6 150 DSG for 57k. (Only 5 or 6 to choose from in the whole of Spain.)
3 Go for a converted VW transporter 150cv DSG 4 motion at 58k. Nice quality but a bit sparse on the fit out and problems with guarantee. Back to base 650k from my home.

What would you do? (Tongue firmly in cheek).

ChrisB

What a saga this is turning out to be. I live in Spain and have been researching the purchase of a VW California. After 15 months of hassle and delays, it turns out that I am down to just 3 options:
1. Buy a brand new Ocean 150CV DSG 4 motion with extras at 59k (ish) euros. (6/7 month waiting list)
2. Buy either a second hand 2015 model T5 comfortline 180DSG or a 2016 modelT6 150 DSG for 57k. (Only 5 or 6 to choose from in the whole of Spain.)
3 Go for a converted VW transporter 150cv DSG 4 motion at 58k. Nice quality but a bit sparse on the fit out and problems with guarantee. Back to base 650k from my home.

ChrisB

Mike

ChrisB

Maybe drive north with a German speaking friend for a week's holiday in Germany and source a nearly new there. :)

1. Maybe as import as @Max-Felix suggest. Interesting that the second hands are that expensive …

Maybe drive north with a German speaking friend for a week's holiday in Germany and source a nearly new there. :)
Tried that Max, whilst there is plenty of choice, the base prices in Germany are also high. In addition, the Spanish tax authorities place their own valuation on the vehicle being imported. (It doesn't matter how much you paid for it, it is the tax office valuation for import duty purposes that counts.) For a VW Cali under 2 years old that will be an additional 14.5% plus transportation etc. The residuals are very high on Californias because of their rarity. Go down the line of an older vehicle and compared to a UK vehicle, it gets even worse. I have seen 2010 models with starship mileage price in excess of 40k. The T5 and the T6 coast I mentioned are both direct imports from Germany.

How does that work? You are all still in the EU and AFAIK if you pay VAT/duties etc in one member state you cannot be charged it in another?

Or is this a specific rule for brand new imports - can't you get around this by buying a 6 month used or driving it for X miles outside Spain so it then becomes second hand?

That's bonkers, I too thought free movement of goods etc ...

#1 is a no-brainer then if you can pay for it. It hurts to begin with, but you'll soon forget when you start enjoying it (and year round too!). If the worst comes to worst it sounds like you'd get most of your money back too.

How does that work? You are all still in the EU and AFAIK if you pay VAT/duties etc in one member state you cannot be charged it in another?

Or is this a specific rule for brand new imports - can't you get around this by buying a 6 month used or driving it for X miles outside Spain so it then becomes second hand?

If you pay the VAT on the vehicle in Germany then you don't have to pay it in Spain. BUT ... You have just 30 days to register the vehicle in Spain and pay the additional import duties. People moving to Spain do have an exemption on this tax for just one vehicle.

A one-time registration tax must be paid to the municipality at the time of registering a vehicle. This tax is based on CO2 emissions, with rates ranging from 4.75% (121-159g/km) to 14.75% (200g/km or more). Once this is paid, you will have to pay an annual road tax, which is based on the vehicle’s horsepower.

Some vehicles are difficult to import due to other regulations. For example, UK caravans and motorhomes (irrespective of age) cannot be imported into Spain if the access door is on the left side of the vehicle.

The legalities of personal imports is a nightmare over here.

Same in Portugal.

As a non resident any vehicle you import gets taxed as if it's new....

As a resident you can import one vehicle free of taxes, then the same applies...

This includes from EU countries...

It's against EU law, however the fines they get are more than made up with the revenue they get...

On top of this you have hefty admin fees to pay as well.

Back