Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

150 DSG v 204

john eagle

john eagle

Eaglehead
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I am thinking of buying a used 2017 California DSG 150 and wanted to ask if I would be better off waiting to get the 204 HP or if the 150 does a good job with a decent performance. Any advantages or disadvantages of either model ?
I would appreciate any input to help me decide
John E

I have a 199 4 motion. In my view a 150 is just fine and more fuel thrifty. I went for the 199 just to get 4 motion which is a big advantage with traction. So either 150 2wd or 204 4 motion imo.The 199 /204 are of course quicker but do you really need it.

Recently 150's have had a recall relating to Adblue useage. 204 not involved so I don't have full information other than they were given a free Adblue quantity as compensation. Some Countries had financial compensation.

I have a 199 4 motion. In my view a 150 is just fine and more fuel thrifty. I went for the 199 just to get 4 motion which is a big advantage with traction. So either 150 2wd or 204 4 motion imo.The 199 /204 are of course quicker but do you really need it.
Ours is a 150 DSG 4MO. More than adequate!

Ours is a 150 DSG 4MO. More than adequate!
I have always thought that 150 was more than enough until Breeze Totton loaned me a V6 full fat Amarok as a courtesy car, the outrageous acceleration was so much fun, makes you think.

the Amarok also weighs about 3/4 of a tonne less which probably makes more difference than the engine size.

Recently 150's have had a recall relating to Adblue useage. 204 not involved so I don't have full information other than they were given a free Adblue quantity as compensation. Some Countries had financial compensation.
Not just 150 but both engines

I've not had notice of this Adblue 'Recall'. Is it internal to VW for as & when a vehicle comes in, or via DVLA?

I've had one T5 140 manual , a T6 150 manual and now on to a T6 150 DSG. IMO the 150 has got plenty of go in it. We have romped across Europe 8/9 countries fully loaded inc two bikes on the tow bar rack in three weeks with little effort. At no point did I feel I could not accelerate out of trouble or keep with traffic.
Of course the 199 will do the same, might use a bit more fuel might be more fun due to the acceleration but both good at what they do. pay you money take your choice.

You could use the 150 versus a 204 as a deal bargaining aid -
Play on the 150 that the dealer is trying to sell as not what you really wanted (a 204) but let him sweeten the deal until you 'reluctantly' agree to buy.

I've a 204 but I doubt that a 150 would be much different on the road.

Not just 150 but both engines
Checked mine (a 204) and came back as not involved.

The post was simply in reply to Calimera's post of fix for "some issues with increased emissions". Doorbundle referred to this as "Adblue recall". :)

Hi
I presently drive a 2014 T5, and am considering replacing with a new T6.
Has anyone ever downgraded from a 180 to a 150?
Additionally has anyone found in "normal use" that 2WD is at a practical level inferior to a 4motion?
Thanks for any help offered!

Hi
I presently drive a 2014 T5, and am considering replacing with a new T6.
Has anyone ever downgraded from a 180 to a 150?
Additionally has anyone found in "normal use" that 2WD is at a practical level inferior to a 4motion?
Thanks for any help offered!

We hired a T5 180 for a week then bought a T6 150. Can’t say there was a noticeable difference on the road. For lots of reasons, go for a T6 150.

We’ve got a 150 DSG and spent the past few days heading down through France from Devon, fully laden with four of us, scooters, a bike, etc.

I was actually speculating (to myself - nobody else is remotely bothered) that the extra 50-ish horses would be of very little benefit unless we were also towing something. The performance of the 150 is very good and it’ll pick up its skirt and run if asked, though the back seat occupants won’t thank me for it.

We’ve been traveling at between 70 and 80mph and still returning 37mpg which I think is pretty good for three tons of double-bedroom.

So to conclude, unless I was towing regularly (I use it occasionally to tow my boat) or I needed 4wd, 150bhp is ample. If I had more then I’d routinely be wiping vomit off my lovely Jackyards seat covers...

Back