Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

150vs204 hp DSG 4 motion beach

Sp0_0k

Sp0_0k

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
I pretty decided on engine going with 150hp. Considering it is just 2 of us and it is a beach version.
Also owning a 150hp petrol Honda CR-V 6 years now, which isn't a light vehicle as well, consider it pretty enough.
Petrol's torque is way weaker as well.
I was able to test only 204hp Multivan with 4 motion and DSG and it seemed to me more than powerful. I'd say was a bit scared by the powerful push on a slight pedal touch after the petrol.
But looking through the fuel consumption figures, it seems 204 one eats not that more.
What are drawbacks of such engine? Other than price.
I recall reading here people had more problems with bi-turbo engine on T5 than single turbine one.

I don't think that is born out by the facts, but it will be more expensive to maintain and less economical than the 150. Probably due to labour charges.
If your vehicle is for high days and holidays then the 150 will be more than adequate. If you will be a long distance, mountain road driver then the 204 will cope with that effortlessly. However, I'm sure someone will be along to disagree.:thumb

I don't think that is born out by the facts, but it will be more expensive to maintain and less economical than the 150. Probably due to labour charges.
If your vehicle is for high days and holidays then the 150 will be more than adequate. If you will be a long distance, mountain road driver then the 204 will cope with that effortlessly. However, I'm sure someone will be along to disagree.:thumb

I disagree ;) ! Actually both excellent engines and can cope with anything, question of what your priorities are...

I have a 180 T 5, so more than 150
I wouldn't want any less power on tight alpine hairpins and steep hills.
But if I didn't do that sort of driving, then I would go for the more economical 150

I have a 180 T 5, so more than 150
I wouldn't want any less power on tight alpine hairpins and steep hills.
But if I didn't do that sort of driving, then I would go for the more economical 150
Here we go...we have been fully loaded towing a boat up steep hills (with hairpins) with 140bhp...more than adequate, the 150 will I'm sure be fine for anything, just depends on whether the extra power is a necessity ....as ever personal choice .....

When people mention mountains which we love and travel a lot. Does it mean the car will stop and won't go uphill? ;) Or it just doesn't accelerate as fast? Or technically not recommended for an engine to go uphill to long due to overheating issues?
To have engine simpler and more reliable is my pretty high priority.
Anybody knows turbines aren't reliable and having 2 of those is twice a chance to get in trouble, isn't it?
Again didn't notice any problems with 150hp petrol car packed close to 2 tonnes.

By the way had 180hp se california on a test drive. Was impressed how less responsive it was compared to a new 204hp. It had some delay and made way weird noises on some tougher accelerations.
It was for an amazing price with just 4k miles on it but I'm still opting for a new beach with weaker engine that will cost me more.
I won't ever touch a diesel if I get 10l or more per 100km, which old 180hp does. My petrol does better )

Petrol's torque is way weaker as well.
What are drawbacks of such engine? Other than price.
Anybody knows turbines aren't reliable and having 2 of those is twice a chance to get in trouble
I won't ever touch a diesel if I get 10l or more per 100km
seems like you started a thread in order to answer your own question and then disagree with yourself ;)

I would want a Cali.

If I had to get out and push it uphill I would still feel very blessed. It is a gorgeous vehicle, get out of the rut, get out of the town, do something different, be spontaneous, be free, live the joy, paste on the smile. I wouldn't care what the engine was. Years ago I would have walked on water to get my hands on anything like it for a couple of weeks.

Go and have a look at how many VW converters there are converting on 84 and 102ps engines, dozens and dozens and all with healthy demand. Look at campervan of the year, a transit with 100ps engine in it.

Blimey, if all that lot using 84 and 100ps engines can have booming market share, Fiat's 130 Ducato powers 70% of big white boxes, heavy breeze blocks on wheels, the 140/150 will be a breeze to go where you want when you want and with what you want. Everything else is a bonus.

Some inspiring words.
Thank you! ;)

There is a reason the Converters use low ps engines.
1. They are the cheapest vehicles available and an awful lot of them are then remapped either by the Converter or the Owner.
2. If the Converters are using a brand new Base vehicle then the manufacturers restrict what vehicles they supply.
When I was researching Conversions none of the main Converters could supply the 180ps as VW wouldn't supply them. They would have to buy a full Multivan, convert it and warrant it themselves because VW refused, but they could get a 140 base vehicle from VW who would warrant that base vehicle with the Converter covering their equipment.
Check the Conversions that are for sale, a lot that are outside warranty are remapped. I wonder why?
As has been said the low ps engines are perfectly adequate for everything you want/need. The higher ps engines, if you can afford to purchase/run one are just a better driving experience. Your Choice.

Here we go again....why is the higher bhp a better driving experience? That is of course not true but it is a matter of personal choice about whether having more power is necessary....anyway both will deliver, I'm sure the 150 bhp will be much more than 'adequate'.....good luck, size isn't everything as someone once said...

Sorry but a lot of T5 owners disagree. That's why so many of them remap. Even some of this Forum members. I wonder why?

I've driven literally hundreds of different vehicles in my time and can't ever remember thinking hmm! Wish I had less power.
There may be valid reasons for less bhp, eg cost reliability but for safety and enjoyable driving I would go for abundant power every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It all comes down to what's important to you, pennies or power. The original question is about a beach, which, correct me if I am wrong in T5 guise came with a max 140hp engine. With the new engines I would say the 150 in a beach would be great, 204 possibly overkill. However in a far heavier SE the 204 would be awesome.

Sorry but a lot of T5 owners disagree. That's why so many of them remap. Even some of this Forum members. I wonder why?[/QUOTE

I haven't got time/ can't be bothered to challenge the inaccuracies in what you say (and you very rarely take others points anyway) as it does get a bit tedious, just trying to make the point that the 150 bhp will be more than adequate, if someone can afford/wants the bigger engine then I am sure that will be wonderful too....

On other cars that have multiple turbo variations usually the one with one turbo has the most lov rev torque, ie perfect for towing etc and the twin turbo engines are more like petrol in that it pays to rev them since they have more torque and power in the higher rpm range where the single turbo just dies.
If you have a patient driving style I would say 150 is most likely enough, if you like to rev more and like to use the engine go for the 20

I have heard that it is a lot more difficult to do a handbrake turn in a 140/150 ..

Granny tip #11: Pack VERY well before executing this manoeuvre and preference would be to remove the bone china tea service first :shocked

Last thing I want is a 2,5 tonnes brick to provoke me on some dangerous overtaking with higher power engine :)

When people mention mountains which we love and travel a lot. Does it mean the car will stop and won't go uphill? ;) Or it just doesn't accelerate as fast? Or technically not recommended for an engine to go uphill to long due to overheating issues?
Anybody knows turbines aren't reliable and having 2 of those is twice a chance to get in trouble, isn't it?
Again didn't notice any problems with 150hp petrol car packed close to 2 tonnes.

Sorry, can't agree about turbos not being reliable. Obviously with a turbo (one or two) there is more chance of a problem than an engine without but I have had six VW group turbo diesels which I guess must have totalled around half a million miles between them without any problems. Use decent fuel, change the oil regularly and let the engine idle after a hard run and you will minimise turbo failures.

Last edited:
As the driver of a 140 SE I find its the corners (and the screams from the passengers) that are the limiting factor in how fast I can go rather than the engine !!

Back