Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

17” cascavel tyre size?

An-j

An-j

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
We have a new to us, 3 year old beach with 17 inch cascavel alloys on.

It has 215/60 r17 tyres on. Can we just put 235/55 r17 tyres on? (Door pillar chart says we can but wasn’t sure if alloy wheels themselves come in different widths?)

sorry to ask - I can see this has been asked a lot but still confused as tyre fitter not sure........I’d like to change size if possible as seems better tyre choices at this size!

Same wheel size for both tyres.

Brilliant, thank you! :thumb Was 95% sure after reading posts but then the tyre fitter sounded unsure........

Yep, defo both sizes possible.
Have had three Californias with Cascavels and all had original tyres...two with 235/55 17 Sportmaxx and one 215/60 17 Vancos

Thank you. Well I’ve taken the plunge and ordered some 235’s so fingers crossed it works ok! 10% off on blackcircles today......

Thank you. Well I’ve taken the plunge and ordered some 235’s so fingers crossed it works ok! 10% off on blackcircles today......
They will fit. A little concerned that your “ Tyre Fitter “ wasn’t sure.;)

Yes, the garage didn’t inspire me with confidence! I’ve used a few times for cars so fingers crossed..........
Thanks for the reassurance. :)

Just an update, for completeness......;) new 235 tyres fitted! Pleased with my cross climates as ride seems abit less harsh.

I wanted suv, but they couldn’t get them in time (I had a puncture) so gone with crossclimate +.
We do use our beach as a car, so probably fine but I would have preferred the suv as I still get nervous camping on grass fields in case I get stuck!
I was too mean to pay the extra £220 for 4 x agilis - I may regret that! :) I have never spent so long thinking about Tyres!

Well done!
I'd be interested to know how you get on with them in time

Yes, the garage didn’t inspire me with confidence! I’ve used a few times for cars so fingers crossed..........
Thanks for the reassurance.:)
Excellent choice, I experienced the same: 235-tyres are noticeable more comfortab

I wanted suv, but they couldn’t get them in time (I had a puncture) so gone with crossclimate +.
We do use our beach as a car, so probably fine but I would have preferred the suv as I still get nervous camping on grass fields in case I get stuck!
I was too mean to pay the extra £220 for 4 x agilis - I may regret that! :) I have never spent so long thinking about Tyres!
I've spent about 2 years thinking about tyres, will have to decide soon as I think I'll need them! I'd really like to put steel wheels on but again I'm confused about tyre sizes and hugely hesitating about the £££££ though I suppose I might be able to sell my alloys.

I’m surprised that your ride seems less harsh! With lower profile/wider tyres you should expect even less ‘cushioning’ and thus a harsher ride. The positive trade off of 235s will be more grip and less ‘wallowing’ around corners. 235s are, on balance, a better option, but your perception of a less-harsh ride may be more psychological than actual! And the 235s will also look better (chunkier) from the front/rear!

I've spent about 2 years thinking about tyres, will have to decide soon as I think I'll need them! I'd really like to put steel wheels on but again I'm confused about tyre sizes and hugely hesitating about the £££££ though I suppose I might be able to sell my alloys.
Glad it’s not me with tyre indecision! i like the look of black powder coated steels, I must admit. We live high up in the Peak District but have a 4wd truck for the worst weather so hoping cross climate will be ok.....
Might reconsider if we travel somewhere actually warm enough to need summer tyres!:D

There has been discussion on tire threads about how, given the same composition and pressure, a wider tire will have a wider lateral footprint but a shorter longitudinal one, so wider does not always equal more grip. It seems important to study what the real results are (for example in snow, narrower can penetrate better to reach the road surface.) I'm paying a lot of attention to forum members' actual experience with different brands and pressure, and am tending to think for mileage/grip/overall all-season handling, I'll stick with my 215/65/16s, but switch to Crossclimates, either SUV or Agilis.

I’m surprised that your ride seems less harsh! With lower profile/wider tyres you should expect even less ‘cushioning’ and thus a harsher ride. The positive trade off of 235s will be more grip and less ‘wallowing’ around corners. 235s are, on balance, a better option, but your perception of a less-harsh ride may be more psychological than actual! And the 235s will also look better (chunkier) from the front/rear!
That’s the problem, I suppose, there are so many variables - including the fact that having just spent £500 I’m really going to want an improvement! I’ve changed tyre type as well as size. My van had.a mix of new summer van tyres on the front and well used all season van tyres on the rear..... so that might have changed the ride as well? It’s definatley not worse anyway!:thumb

@An-j Hey, what's been your first impressions of the new tyres? Also, did you get wheel alignment done when they fitted them?

Thanks!

@An-j Hey, what's been your first impressions of the new tyres? Also, did you get wheel alignment done when they fitted them?

Thanks!
I’m glad I changed though not properly winter tested yet. We all think the ride is less harsh (kids included). My husband thinks the grip is better but I haven’t noticed either way.
Only downside is they pick up a bit of gravel from our drive in the tread.....I’m wondering whether getting the agilis might have prevented that? Not really an issue but I hate the sound of it clattering in the wheel arches when I drive away!;)

Didnt get alignment done, I don’t think, unless that’s included with blackcircles as standard.

The 235s run on lower air pressure than the 260s, so even though the 235s have a shorter side wall, the lower pressure gives more cushioning and larger footprint. The penalty is higher rolling resistance and higher fuel consumption.

Im thinking of downgrading my 18” to 17” purely due to cost and choice of tyre available as 18” tyres are almost 50% more expensive not sure what the ride will be like and also want all season tyres, if anyone has done this. So looking for a set of rims only.

17" rims are readily available. Davenports most common and in my opinion the best original rim due to no Diamond Cutting just solid paint.

Lots on EBAY and Facebook Marketplace.

Most with 215 width tyres £500ish. I saw a set near me without tyres for £200.

I went for Borbet 17" x 7.5" rims pre Brexit for £671 but last I looked from UK supplier were £1050!
Most non VW 17" rims seem to be 8" width.

There is the option to fit 235/55/18 104 tyres to your 18" rims which are cheaper than the 255/45/18 ones plus a good SUV range of All season.

an example

Im thinking of downgrading my 18” to 17” purely due to cost and choice of tyre available as 18” tyres are almost 50% more expensive not sure what the ride will be like and also want all season tyres, if anyone has done this. So looking for a set of rims only.
We picked up a new spare alloy yesterday from below in Bristol, worth giving them a call as they can supply most VW wheels / tyre combinations, offer fitting & will purchase your old wheels if required (but you will get more selling them privately!)
D19DAC6C-B4E2-4D71-B8C4-A6F9CFCF511C.png2FA36B86-52C5-473B-8114-06D29BD40668.png