Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

18” Sportline Anthracite wheels v 17” Cascavel Silver wheels

Nick.C

Nick.C

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Our 2018 Ocean is fitted with 17” Cascavel wheels, but I have an option to buy some 18” Sportline Anthracite wheels. Does anyone have the Sportline wheels on their van and be willing to share a photo as it would be good to see what they look like on a van? Also I have read the 18” wheels are less forgiving on our bumpy roads. Is it a noticeably bumpier ride? Any other pros and cons/advice would be appreciated.

Old style I'm afraid and being black wheels hard to see.

Didn't notice a difference ride wise but did when I had the -30mm lowering spring. Rear is fine, front is a little trashy over the bumps

IMG_20190514_202702.jpg

Thank you, they do look good in black and great with your white ‘BUG’. Reassuring that there wasn’t much impact on ride until you went with the lowering springs.

Our 2018 Ocean is fitted with 17” Cascavel wheels, but I have an option to buy some 18” Sportline Anthracite wheels. Does anyone have the Sportline wheels on their van and be willing to share a photo as it would be good to see what they look like on a van? Also I have read the 18” wheels are less forgiving on our bumpy roads. Is it a noticeably bumpier ride? Any other pros and cons/advice would be appreciated.
IMG_1938.JPG
Here's mine on 18 inch Sportlines, albeit black ones. The suspension is standard. With regard to the ride I find it fine although this is my first Cali and it came with these wheels already on so nothing to compare them to, however I definitely wouldn't describe the ride as bumpy.

Last edited:
Nick,
There are photos of my 18" Sportline wheels here, with before/after 30mm lowering springs :

My wheels are with an anthracite highlights, rather than fully anthracite.
My tyres are 235 width (which apparently makes a difference to ride quality) and don't feel any different in ride quality compared to when I drove a lowered Ocean, fitted with std 17" Cascavels

Thank you,
View attachment 56162
Here's mine on 18 inch Sportlines, albeit black ones. The suspension is standard. With regard to the ride I find it fine although this is my first Cali and it came with these wheels already on so nothing to compare them to, however I definitely wouldn't describe the ride as bumpy.
Nick,
There are photos of my 18" Sportline wheels here, with before/after 30mm lowering springs :

My wheels are with an anthracite highlights, rather than fully anthracite.
My tyres are 235 width (which apparently makes a difference to ride quality) and don't feel any different in ride quality compared to when I drove a lowered Ocean, fitted with std 17" Cascavels
Thanks Jon, really helpful and much appreciated

I am stating the obvious here and anyway you probably already know this but just in case, when talking purely about ride quality, which ever sized wheel you have makes no difference to the ride. It's the tyres that make the difference. Since every wheel/tyre combo fitted to a Transporter based vehicle will have more or less the same overall diameter the main differing factor is the depth of the tyre's side wall. Therefore, a 16" wheel needs a tyre with a much greater tyre wall depth than a tyre on an 18" wheel. It's that tyre wall depth that provides most of the flexible cushioning effect over harsh road conditions. The greater the tyre wall depth the more cushioning and the better the ride quality. Compare the ride quality in a Cali fitted with a 20" wheel/tyre combo to one with a 16" set and I'm sure the difference would be very noticeable indeed. However you probably wouldn't notice much difference between 17" Cascavels and 18" Sportlines.

3 tyre options for an 18" Sportine.
Normal as per VW Factory fit 255/45/18 103V

Usual VW Dealer fit to their supplied Sportlines 235/50/18 101V

Alternative giving most (speedo showing no actual error) sidewall height and adequate load rating >
235/55/18 104V

3 tyre options for an 18" Sportine.
Normal as per VW Factory fit 255/45/18 103V

Usual VW Dealer fit to their supplied Sportlines 235/50/18 101V

Alternative giving most (speedo showing no actual error) sidewall height and adequate load rating >
235/55/18 104V
Thanks, the tyre size I was told was 255/45/18 103v, what are the pros and cons of the 3 options?

It's that tyre wall depth that provides most of the flexible cushioning effect over harsh road conditions. The greater the tyre wall depth the more cushioning and the better the ride quality. Compare the ride quality in a Cali fitted with a 20" wheel/tyre combo to one with a 16" set and I'm sure the difference would be very noticeable indeed. However you probably wouldn't notice much difference between 17" Cascavels and 18" Sportlines.

Ive changed from 16" to 18" & reckon the ride is as good if not better on the 18"
In addition to the depth of side wall there are other factors affecting the cushioning effect of the tyres. Most noticeable of which is the tyre pressures, from memory the 18" run at about 10 PSI less than the 16" . The other one is the construction of the sidewall of the tyre - heavier load ratings tend to have stronger stiffer sidewalls.

Ive changed from 16" to 18" & reckon the ride is as good if not better on the 18"
In addition to the depth of side wall there are other factors affecting the cushioning effect of the tyres. Most noticeable of which is the tyre pressures, from memory the 18" run at about 10 PSI less than the 16" . The other one is the construction of the sidewall of the tyre - heavier load ratings tend to have stronger stiffer sidewalls.

Ive said similar in the past.
I’m sure the 18s are just as comfortable as the 16s , which I had on my old van.
Remember the 18s are quite a bit wider too, which should help flatten out some of the pot holes...

Would not go for 235/50/18 101V personally as load rating is marginal on a California as they give 1650Kgs per axle. My front axle is rated at 1620Kgs.

235/55/18 104V gives 1800Kgs per axle which is good safe margin to allow for weight transfer under braking or cornering. The increased radius takes up any under reading speed error ie if indicating 70Mph then doing that or very marginally over. Some good All season versions available as it appears to be a tyre primarily manufactured for the SUV market.
Also no increased tyre with over the 235/17" normally fitted.

255/45/18 103V gives 1750Kgs as does the 235/55/17 103v tyre. These give very marginally greater indicated speed error than the 235/55/17 tyre. ie indicated 70mph gives road speed of 67>68Mph.
They are obviously wider by 10mm and it could be argued give greater drag but it all depends on tyre Brand and pattern.

Tyre costs would have the 255/45 as most expensive with the 235/55 next.
Example tyre Bridgestone A005 All season 255/45 £167.42 235/55 £145.49 from one supplier. (a Michelin Cross Climate SUV was priced at £133.80 in 235/55)

The choice is yours but I'd opt for the Michelin Cross Climate SUV tyre for a go anywhere all year round fitment.

If you don't go for a exact wheel / tyre combination that is on the sticker inside the door, you are 'modding' your van and will have to declare it to the insurance. You might bizarrely (don't attack me) invalidate your warranty should something go wrong. They don't need much of an excuse to wriggle out of a claim.

Regarding Cascavels, there is a clear hierarchy of the desirability of colours ranging from Silver at the bottom to the Diamond Cut Black at the top, with the Diamond Cut anthracite in the middle. (Based on watching too many sales of wheels on ebay). I mention this so you budget accordingly, accepting that your (Silver in the title) wheels won't sell too easily (just the value in the tyres generally).

Would not go for 235/50/18 101V personally as load rating is marginal on a California as they give 1650Kgs per axle. My front axle is rated at 1620Kgs.

235/55/18 104V gives 1800Kgs per axle which is good safe margin to allow for weight transfer under braking or cornering. The increased radius takes up any under reading speed error ie if indicating 70Mph then doing that or very marginally over. Some good All season versions available as it appears to be a tyre primarily manufactured for the SUV market.
Also no increased tyre with over the 235/17" normally fitted.

255/45/18 103V gives 1750Kgs as does the 235/55/17 103v tyre. These give very marginally greater indicated speed error than the 235/55/17 tyre. ie indicated 70mph gives road speed of 67>68Mph.
They are obviously wider by 10mm and it could be argued give greater drag but it all depends on tyre Brand and pattern.

Tyre costs would have the 255/45 as most expensive with the 235/55 next.
Example tyre Bridgestone A005 All season 255/45 £167.42 235/55 £145.49 from one supplier. (a Michelin Cross Climate SUV was priced at £133.80 in 235/55)

The choice is yours but I'd opt for the Michelin Cross Climate SUV tyre for a go anywhere all year round fitment.
Thanks, very helpful

Not read all of the thread and just in case not mentioned have you thought about need for spare wheel? I have a feeling that 18" do not fit in the std Cali below floor holder. You would be limited to a differing wheel/tyre size in the event of a puncture or a bottle of gunk.
17" wheel/tyre combo would be my choice. Currently I have 17" Cascavals with 235's - very comfy!!

You can still have the 17” spare with the 18” wheels
The overall diameter of the 17” is around 5mm larger give or take wear the reason you can’t have a 18”spare is the 18” wheels are 255 so wider that the 17” 235s

A3B51FDC-F6FC-469E-B6F8-B3C957840784.png

Not read all of the thread and just in case not mentioned have you thought about need for spare wheel? I have a feeling that 18" do not fit in the std Cali below floor holder. You would be limited to a differing wheel/tyre size in the event of a puncture or a bottle of gunk.
17" wheel/tyre combo would be my choice. Currently I have 17" Cascavals with 235's - very comfy!!
I think I read somewhere that you can get away with the 17” spare to get you to the nearest garage

I've successfully tried an 18" ex VW Amorak Durban wheel with a 235/55/18 tyre. The Durban is 7.5" in width whereas most 18" wheels are 8" wide making them a bit too wide and therefore low to the ground. I think I have seen someone do it.
Durban is very similar to the Cascavel but without the dreaded corroding diamond cut edge.

Word of caution in that there are Sportline look alike wheels on the market which will be of a poorer standard than originals. They now seem to be mainly in the 20" size.
The early Sportline wheels don't fit the big front braked Cali's without a spacer. More of a twin spoke design.
Top ones shown on this site

I think I read somewhere that you can get away with the 17” spare to get you to the nearest garage
Indeed you may be correct - in fact, I also have a recollection now you mention it. Emergency stop? It's a personal shout? I wonder what the law or your insurance co have to say? I may be being rather cautious but I think I would dig a bit more before making final decision.

I've successfully tried an 18" ex VW Amorak Durban wheel with a 235/55/18 tyre. The Durban is 7.5" in width whereas most 18" wheels are 8" wide making them a bit too wide and therefore low to the ground. I think I have seen someone do it.
Durban is very similar to the Cascavel but without the dreaded corroding diamond cut edge.
You have a point! I try to close my eyes....

Indeed you may be correct - in fact, I also have a recollection now you mention it. Emergency stop? It's a personal shout? I wonder what the law or your insurance co have to say? I may be being rather cautious but I think I would dig a bit more before making final decision.
Will do, thank you

So how do you go on with space savers then?
Totally the wrong size/width ect and you can drive on them up to around 50mph
Do you need to notify your insurance if you fit a space saver.....nope!
It’s a get you home!!!!!!

So how do you go on with space savers then?
Totally the wrong size/width ect and you can drive on them up to around 50mph
Do you need to notify your insurance if you fit a space saver.....nope!
It’s a get you home!!!!!!
All good points, except one. Yes, you do need to notify your insurance company if you fit a space saver.
If you fit a space saver its a non OEM std fit for a California and as a consequence invalidates your insurance unless you inform the insurance company and they agree to take the risk. Sorry, that's how insurance works. Oh by the way when using a space saver there are speeds and distances to consider. It is not "a get you home" solution. Sorry again.
For information you may like to have a look at what the AA have to say about the matter. Diameter/Aspect ratio etc.

So you read the small print good for you !
Sorry

Back