Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

18 inch spare

BlueMoonCali59

BlueMoonCali59

Star
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Just returned from 2 weeks trip to Italy with my 2012 Cali, had a blow out on highway, Hankook run flat disintegrated after 2 km! Roadside assistance took van to garage but it took a week to get replacements for 255/45 R18 size and then they were Continental Pr6, which seem pretty good but aren't run flat. Planning 4 week trip to Portugal and beyond and thought of fitting a spare - don't want to lose another week waiting for tyres - local VW dealers (Southern and Alan Day) says its not possible with 18inch wheels, they won't fit the carrier! Anyone on here tried that? or other thoughts other than hope lightening don't strike twice. best Pj

The carrier will take a steel wheel but will not fit an 18inch.

My wheels are 17" cavascel and I have a a steel spare, that is pretty tight. I can't see anything bigger fitting in there sadly. 18" usually come with that tyre weld stuff which isnt helpful for a blow out :(

Any indication why it failed? I would hope the chances of a repeat are pretty slim.

thanks, I have the tyre weld stuff but on the shredded tyre it wasn't any use. No indication why it failed, road debris i guess - there were road works on highway north of geneva - refitting with 17 inch feels a very expensive option !

Are you sure the hankook was a run flat? if so was it the required load rating? I wasn't aware that run flats were available that are suitable for a cali.

You could always fit a carrier with a steel 17" spare, its the width of the tyre that stops it fitting not the diameter, 16, 17 and 18" all have the same overall diameter just progressively more wheel & less tyre sidewall.

The problem you would be left with is what to do with the wheel you take off as it won't fit in the carrier.

yes the load rating on Hankook was 103 which is correct I think, pretty sure it was run flat! though shredding after 1.5km suggests it didn't work!

- what to do with wheel you take off, very good point!! get one of my kids to hold it!

Also now the VW dealer say that the 17 inch steel spares supplied by VW would not have a big enough offset to clear brake callipers - which just seems crazy - don't people run 17 inch wheels on cali's - dealers talk so much guff sometimes...so even a 17 spare is looking less likely - unless i fork out 150 quid for them to buy me a wheel and try it! -

yes the load rating on Hankook was 103 which is correct I think, pretty sure it was run flat! though shredding after 1.5km suggests it didn't work!

- what to do with wheel you take off, very good point!! get one of my kids to hold it!

Also now the VW dealer say that the 17 inch steel spares supplied by VW would not have a big enough offset to clear brake callipers - which just seems crazy - don't people run 17 inch wheels on cali's - dealers talk so much guff sometimes...so even a 17 spare is looking less likely - unless i fork out 150 quid for them to buy me a wheel and try it! -
There are plenty of 17" steel wheels on ebay etc. Just buy one as a proper spare, it will fit your 180 and be fine until you can replace the damaged tyre.

Just returned from 2 weeks trip to Italy with my 2012 Cali, had a blow out on highway, Hankook run flat disintegrated after 2 km! Roadside assistance took van to garage but it took a week to get replacements for 255/45 R18 size and then they were Continental Pr6, which seem pretty good but aren't run flat. Planning 4 week trip to Portugal and beyond and thought of fitting a spare - don't want to lose another week waiting for tyres - local VW dealers (Southern and Alan Day) says its not possible with 18inch wheels, they won't fit the carrier! Anyone on here tried that? or other thoughts other than hope lightening don't strike twice. best Pj

]Are you sure your tyres are run flat?

I just did a check on Black circle tyres and could not find a tyre of your size with a load rating above 99. My Beach has a sticker on the inside door with the lowest weight option being 103.

I would check the other tyres aswell as they could well be under rated for a Cali.

Kev

Hankook – tyres will be marked with HRS or have B at the end of the product number (e.g. K115B

I would check the other " run-flat tyres " on your vehicle. I couldn't find any Hankook run flat tyres suitable for a California, but then I'm not an Internet expert.

I could not find any run flat tyres of any make that would be suitable for a Cali.

The 18" Continentals which came with my Edition 25 Caravelle were run-flats. Same load rating as California if I'm not mistaken. BTW, OP, Portugal and beyond? What on Earth is beyond Portugal? Only the North Atlantic me thinks.

thanks for this, me think my Hankooks were not run flat after all! explains why they were so rubbish at running flat!! Portugal and Beyond - you have to be in a Buzz lightyear vibe to get it - its a philosophical statement though my three year old twins are convinced our Cali has a flying button!! - if yours hasn't i think its maybe a factory recall!

I always understood that Run Flat Tyres needed to go on a Run Flat rim. I was told that you could put ordinary, NON Run Flat Tyres on a Run Flat Rim but NOT Run Flat Tyres on an ordinary (non RF rim). Perhaps this was a run flat Tyre on an ordinary rim hence it didn’t hold out. Just a thought.

Back