Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

18" Wheels & Spares

S

Stu

Guest User
Didn't realise until we collected yesterday that the van wouldn't have a spare because it has 18's (neither did the dealer as they ordered me the locking wheel bolt!!)

Underneath is a huge great waste of space void where I should have a spare. Instead I way an inflation kit, not something I'm overly fussed with to be honest.

Does anyone have any idea's for a spare if you have 18"s?? Has anyone tried to find an alternative?

Stu have a look on one of your wheels on the inside and it will have 2 markings

The first is the PCD which is something like 112. This gives you the radius of the bolts

The second is the ET which will be something like 48. This gives you the offset of the wheel

Once you know both of these you can get any wheel with the same specifications and use it as a spare :thumb

I might be wrong but I think you will have to use a 17 inch wheel I dont think
The 18 will fit the carrier. I also think Martin Adams has a solution to this and maybe able to help
You :thumb

Thanks guys.

I was aware of the PCD etc and have calculated some Rolling Radius examples.

My tyres are 255 45 18 with a circumference of 2094mm and dynamic rolling radius of 333mm I think the T5 uses some wheels which have tyres of 215 65 16 with a circumference of 2092mm and dynamic rolling radius of 333mm.

If they are of a similar circumference as the 16" wheels which are narrower then hopefully they'd fit in the carrier underneath.

It only needs to be a cheap steel wheel with a semi decent tyre on it to be honest.

Need to be careful as you need to have same size wheels on an axel. Technically space saver wheels are not legal to use as they are a different size to the standard wheel.

I think as long as the rolling radius is the same it wouldn't matter too much if one were narrower, as you say much like a space saver. You'd have to follow similar speed restrictions as a space saver.

no spare .....thats a silght con ...... there should be some sort of spare ,as i'm sure the 17" boys have a spare ...??? its the overall wheel/tyre size as people have said that matters and a 17" will fit carrier and fir calipers as they are all the same on 180's ...

18" Wheels & Spares

Yes, a spare comes with the 180 which has 17in as standard....

18" Wheels & Spares

Ok so 180 se comes with a spare 17" and the only reason the 18" option doesn't I'm assuming is down to the tyre width that will not go in the carrier ...
Easy spare can just be a steel even with a jiggle about with the width and profile ??

Hi All

The 18'' wheels just fit if you let the air out of them it is tight though just carry a pump thats what i do. my wheels are the new sports line :thumb

Gary & Heather

Thanks for the replies.

So if you have an SE with Alloy Wheels does it come with a steel spare? I seem to recall the Alloy as a spare is an option.

Lee the news is worse, you also need to get hold of the carrier assembly as that's missing too.

I'll look for some PN's in a bit.

18" Wheels & Spares

No way ...!!!!!! The thieving robbing gits .
And there paid for I bet ...
I can feel a rant coming on ... Lol lol
Had a week of hell trying to get this berg then finding out it's had bits robbed from it ...
I knew I should have had that SE .. Lol

My cali came with 17'' alloy's on and a steel spare i got them changed after pickup form dealler was told couldn't have the 18'' spare was told to perchase a inflation kit but was then told to get an 18'' wheel and let the air out of it and it should fit and it did just. :barmy

The wheel for the spare is a steel 7Jx17, ET55, 5/120 PCD.

PN is 7E0 601 027 B 091 Priced at £74.59

I've had a look at the mounting bracket and it looks like there are different size spacers to cope with different width tyres so that's handy.

It looks like you need the following parts -

1 x Angled bracket 7H0 804 473 A - Priced at £7.48
1 x Pin for spare wheel mounting 7H0 801 949 - Priced at £1.40
1 x Spacer Sleeve for 205 or 215 tyres 701 801 913 - Priced at £3.97
1 x Hexagon Bolt 90mm 701 801 651 A - Priced at £8.57 (I think this is the one you replace with the locking bolt so better to purchase that instead)

There are some bush's which allow for the different tyres -

2 x 37mm Bush for tyres 235/17 701 801 917 C - Priced at £5.78 each
or
2 x 27mm Bush for tyres 215/17 7H0 801 917 B - priced at 1.28 each

You'll also need a tyre - 235 55 R17 or 215 60 R17 at around £130 - £150.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m92b0s4710p61 ... L_FRML_TL_

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m92b0s6197p79 ... 9_TL_Vw_T5

Starting to look like an expensive after thought.

18" Wheels & Spares

May try and get that money from Vw to buy the parts or ask them to fit a spare .. If I was a sports car then it wouldn't be an issue about not having a spare ... Is there a jack and wheel brace etc ???????

My BMW came with hateful run flat tyres, NO spare, not even a jack or wheel brace!! I changed to non run flats (MUCH better) soon after I bought it and carry a 12v compressor and Tyre Weld. Realistically, if I get a proper flat, I'll call the AA! But there is no option of a spare whatever you do.

For the Cali, I wanted a spare as we hope to do some fairly remote exploration soonish, so it had to be the 17" option. The spare appears to be a black painted steel and the carrier sits pretty low - when we got stuck on our second day of ownership getting up our crazy steep driveway, the bolts got a light scraping. I guess that although the radius of an 18" tyre is the same, the extra width (our 17s are 235 width) is what makes carrying a spare tricky?

Like the look of the 18s on the Cali and some of the BM ones but for the BM I wanted a plush ride so I went for 17s and on the Cali I wanted a spare!

A bit odd that what I consider an essential item now seems to often be left out! :headwall

KernowLad said:
A bit odd that what I consider an essential item now seems to often be left out! :headwall

Or a cost option :headwall

18" Wheels & Spares

Less weight is one bonus I suppose ..!!

I pick up my Cali with 17" wheels next week (hopefully) but am thinking of having the dealer fit 18" sportlines.

I assumed I could leave the original spare in place - it will fit the hub and the outside circumference must be close to the 18" with lower profile tyres or the speedo would be out.

I guess I'm asking the question - why can't the original spare be used when 18" sportline alloys are fitted other than the width argument which I am not worried about for a spare.

I'm in agreement with you. It's a temporary spare wheel and therefore width shouldn't be an issue (space saver) and as long as the rolling radius is similar I see no problem.

Where can I find myself a rolling radio? Sounds fun! ;-)

Stu said:
The wheel for the spare is a steel 7Jx17, ET55, 5/120 PCD.

PN is 7E0 601 027 B 091 Priced at £74.59

I've had a look at the mounting bracket and it looks like there are different size spacers to cope with different width tyres so that's handy.

It looks like you need the following parts -

1 x Angled bracket 7H0 804 473 A - Priced at £7.48
1 x Pin for spare wheel mounting 7H0 801 949 - Priced at £1.40
1 x Spacer Sleeve for 205 or 215 tyres 701 801 913 - Priced at £3.97
1 x Hexagon Bolt 90mm 701 801 651 A - Priced at £8.57 (I think this is the one you replace with the locking bolt so better to purchase that instead)

There are some bush's which allow for the different tyres -

2 x 37mm Bush for tyres 235/17 701 801 917 C - Priced at £5.78 each
or
2 x 27mm Bush for tyres 215/17 7H0 801 917 B - priced at 1.28 each

You'll also need a tyre - 235 55 R17 or 215 60 R17 at around £130 - £150.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m92b0s4710p61 ... L_FRML_TL_

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m92b0s6197p79 ... 9_TL_Vw_T5

Starting to look like an expensive after thought.

Did anyone go ahead and retro fit a spare? Can they confirm the parts above?

Plus I believe the following are the choice of locking bolt part numbers:-

ZGB 701 071 592 - alloy (long)
ZGB 701 071 592E - steel (short)

We had a puncture on Thursday (or rather Eleanor did whilst I was in Italy for the day for a meeting) and it has got us thinking that a spare of some sorts is a good idea....

Thanks,

Simon

It's still on my to do list Simon,

I asked SMG some weeks ago to put together a retrofit kit for us but as yet they've not not responded.

I do know the tyre is 215/60/17 109/107 T

Stu,

Thanks. I've got my local dealer's parts guy looking into it too. Looking under Chris's bus its a pair of bolts that hold the wheel in place rather than the single one I picked up on from your initial list.

Simon

Back