Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

180 Cambelt tensioner recall

briwy

briwy

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
In a dealer in Belgium having the steering checked as it's gone out of alignment.
Dealer has said there is a recall on my engine, 64 plate 180 manual.
Just checked with my dealer in Sheffield who confirms it's for cambelt tensioner, came out on 17th August. Looks like they will obviously change the belt as well. Sheffield says ok to have done in six weeks when I'm back in the UK.
Probably worth checking if you have one of these.

Mine was done last Friday when it went in to have roof hydraulics fixed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

free belt change ?
That would be a very welcome turn of events for affected owners I'm sure :thumb

Doesn't affect my '63 plate unfortunately as I will need a cam belt and water pump soon.

Hi,

Interesting, my van seems to be pulling to the right, I’ve had the wheel alignment check and all fine. Could the cam belt tension have any effect on the power steering, or was the original poster (briny) just having the steering alignment separately checked at the same time as the recall?

Next question, how do I find out if the recall effects my vehicle - 64 plate beach?

Thanks

Hi,

Interesting, my van seems to be pulling to the right, I’ve had the wheel alignment check and all fine. Could the cam belt tension have any effect on the power steering, or was the original poster (briny) just having the steering alignment separately checked at the same time as the recall?

Next question, how do I find out if the recall effects my vehicle - 64 plate beach?

Thanks
I’ve Just had this done. It is a Tensioner on the Auxilliary Belt that drives the Power Steering, AirCon etc: . It has absolutely no effect on the steering with regards to it pulling to Left or Right.
It will be replaced at your next visit to a Dealer, no matter what the reason for the visit is, or at the next Service.
Any VW Dealer will be able to tell you if your vehicle is affected based on your reg or vin number.

Hi Briwy
Are you sure they said cambelt recall because I’ve just had a belt recall done 4 weeks ago and it was alternator auxiliary belt . I did ask if they were talking about the cam belt but they said no auxiliary belt .

That's what I was told originally but had doubts about it as the tensioner on our auxiliary belt failed last Easter (before the recall) and there seem to have been quite a few suffering the same thing. This was when we had taken the van into the dealer in Belgium so there could well heave been some confusion in translation.

Just to clarify my original post, we had the van tracked here in the UK before leaving and in Belgium I noticed that the steering wheel wasn't central when going straight ahead so was concerned that something was wrong, perhaps a safety issue if something had come loose. So as WG has already said, the steering pump has no effect on the tracking or pulling the problem was that the tracking was out and they must have naughtily adjusted only one side instead of getting equal either side which throws the steering wheel out of alignment.