Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

1991 VW California T4 Westfalia - not charging on hook up

D

Dan B

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
I recently bought a 1991 T4 Westfalia and replaced the old leisure batteries which were not holding a charge. Now when I plug in the hook up the batteries are not charging. Also the plug symbol is not appearing. The interior mains sockets are working. With the old batteries I was getting the plug symbol. I think the batteries are charging when driving.

Can anyone suggest why this is happening?

sounds like one of the cables has broken, or maybe moving the cables has dislodged something. Get the panel off under the fridge (seat forward, undo a couple of screws and pull out on the grill. That will expose the charger. Check the thin cables, they seem to be very important!

Or maybe a short occurred and the fuse has gone, can't remember which fuse is for the charger.

Failing that, it's just bad luck that the charger has failed at the same time. Originals, full function alternatives or simple alternatives are available, there's a few threads on here about replacement chargers.

Charging when the engine running is from the alternator and not related to the charger.

hth,
dan

Here we go again

I'll bet you run a David Coverdale mullet too?

These days I can't even grow a Lars Ulrich :(

Back