Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

1993 Cali Hightop F45S Fitting

C

Cironimo

Getting some much needed work done to my T4 (SWB Cali) and I decided to get an awning….(please don’t judge my van too harshly, the paint is going to be a whole different project! )

I assumed that the awning would be fitted below the Hightop window….every example I can find has an awning fitted in that position.

The guy in charge of the ‘shop’ called me & said he was away but his men fitted the awning… pictured below. He even said it was too high and he would get it fitted lower.
C5B52F81-2752-4477-8181-9E98CD57D5D7.jpeg

F1D95DC4-8237-40A4-8A02-2DF3E1EB3F1F.jpeg

The more I look at the photos, the more angry I am getting!

I asked about the existing bolts in the Hightop….could they be used as anchor points for brackets, he said they are not for that. His issue is the sliding bed, he can’t get a good fixing point!

Fiamma have brackets for westy hightops…..from that, the diagrams show fitting on the lower part of the hightop and four holes!

Are these the existing hightop holes?

513D8D1F-E47A-4519-B263-70BC65824FA6.png

I’m in a mind to pull the plug on this install….it’s already an abomination!

Blimey, you would have thought the fitters would have known something was wrong when the fold out awning legs didn’t reach the floor! The fold out legs have to be pegged to the ground otherwise just a small gust of wind will be enough the bend or tear the mounting brackets off and/or wrap the extended awning over the roof of the van.

Just take it to a experienced fitter that has done a westy before.

Getting some much needed work done to my T4 (SWB Cali) and I decided to get an awning….(please don’t judge my van too harshly, the paint is going to be a whole different project! )

I assumed that the awning would be fitted below the Hightop window….every example I can find has an awning fitted in that position.

The guy in charge of the ‘shop’ called me & said he was away but his men fitted the awning… pictured below. He even said it was too high and he would get it fitted lower.
View attachment 95333

View attachment 95334

The more I look at the photos, the more angry I am getting!

I asked about the existing bolts in the Hightop….could they be used as anchor points for brackets, he said they are not for that. His issue is the sliding bed, he can’t get a good fixing point!

Fiamma have brackets for westy hightops…..from that, the diagrams show fitting on the lower part of the hightop and four holes!

Are these the existing hightop holes?

View attachment 95335

I’m in a mind to pull the plug on this install….it’s already an abomination!
That’s crazy!

Your van has the fixing holes lower down as per diagram, two bolt holes each end.

I hope you get it sorted.

What an idiot! The awning is fitted at the existing holes as 4x4 Joker says.
Well, at least there's nog chance of rain getting in when the upper window is open...

View attachment DSC_5395.jpg

See my avatar ,fitted mine as suggested to existing Holes on high roof

Well, I have an update…but a little back story first…
When I initially asked for an awning, I asked for a F45S 260 in black…..but matey persuaded me to go smaller(190) saying the 260 was way too big. Thats how I ended up with that!

Anyhow….I went onto Insta and gathered photos of Westy hightops with awnings, made a nice collage photo & sent it to him, saying this is how I expected the awning to be fitted.
I get a call from him, he says, that’s the 260 awning in the photos you sent….’I can get you one of those in white no problem! ‘

Well I said that’s great, let’s go with that…..happy days!…..but I couldn’t let him off, I had to vent at him, I reminded him that the 260 is the one I wanted in the first place and his fitter needed a good kicking for placing an awning in that position!

Anyway, it looks like it’s getting sorted!

Well, I have an update…but a little back story first…
When I initially asked for an awning, I asked for a F45S 260 in black…..but matey persuaded me to go smaller(190) saying the 260 was way too big. Thats how I ended up with that!

Anyhow….I went onto Insta and gathered photos of Westy hightops with awnings, made a nice collage photo & sent it to him, saying this is how I expected the awning to be fitted.
I get a call from him, he says, that’s the 260 awning in the photos you sent….’I can get you one of those in white no problem! ‘

Well I said that’s great, let’s go with that…..happy days!…..but I couldn’t let him off, I had to vent at him, I reminded him that the 260 is the one I wanted in the first place and his fitter needed a good kicking for placing an awning in that position!

Anyway, it looks like it’s getting sorted!
Mines a 2.6

Back