Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

1993 California Club with 'Facelift' Front End?

The Mighty Pauls

The Mighty Pauls

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi there chaps - I'm on the look out for a T4 California (had a few T4's over the years). I've found a nice looking 1993 California 'Club' (K Reg, LWB with rear kitchen), but oddly it has the Facelift front. From the limited research I did, I'm pretty sure that the Clubs were only made up to 1994, so wouldn't have ever featured the Facelift (came in 1996?).

So, I'm assuming it was potentially added later or there is a mistake in the logbook and the van's actually a bit younger. The dealer told me that the log book says the van was imported in 2014 and already had the facelift.

Has anyone ever heard of people changing the front end? Anyone got any advice?

Very much appreciated.

I saw your post on the Westy Facebook group - most of the Westy experts are there.
I think you are right, it's too early to have had that front originally, but it's a popular upgrade / modernisation to do later, which I warn against doing exactly for this reason..... It makes it looks like its been crashed and rebuilt.
I don't think the import details would show whether or not the front was long or short nose, although mistakes are made there. They usually edge (I think) on making a van look older rather than newer if they are unsure.

Thanks for your reply - not really seen this 'Clubs' before, but the wife likes the idea of a rear kitchen (we used to have a T5.1 SE). Do you know much about them?

Is there anything I should look for to see whether it's been crashed?

Personally, I prefer the pre-facelift front end (I've had a couple) but you mention that it's a popular upgrade - so I'm guessing it could have been done at some point in the 20 years before it was exported from Germany?

Really appreciate it!

I can't really help with whether it's been crashed or not, but I can say I like the layout. I had an Exclusive which was great but perhaps squeezed too much in with the loo in its own 'room'. The Club's layout seems more open. Plus the tailgate is a standard Transporter one, unlike the exclusive's custom made unit, which if damaged, could write off an Exclusive.

Last edited:
Amazing - really appreciate your help!

All the very best

You are welcome. Do check there is enough power. The Exclusive had 102hp and 150hp versions of the 2.5 turbo engine. I think this one will have a lot less horses. My 102hp version felt a bit of job to get up and over some of the mountain areas they are best used in. Slow and steady wins the race though!

Do you know where it was imported from? I know that in NL it's not ucommon for people to change the short nose in a more modern longer nose.

I’m checking it’s origin tomorrow when I visit the vehicle.

In terms of power - it’s a 2.4 Diesel so likely to be the 78 Ps listed below!

In terms of power - it’s a 2.4 Diesel so likely to be the 78 Ps listed below!
You should be safe from any speeding tickets then :). Jokes aside, the camping experience, particularly loitside of summer is just so much better in these tall / hard tops. "2into1" may yet become "2into1thenbackto2" as a dedicated camper AND a runaround car grows in appeal again.

Back