Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

1st Overseas Trip in Cali!

veg_frenzy

veg_frenzy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
All,
We are planning a trip to Ireland this year and as this would be our 1st trip outside the UK, was hoping to leverage the knowledge/expertise of forum members on some do's & dont's.

1st off, location: We're going to Ireland (Wild Atlantic Way). Any 'must do' locations to visit, things to do, don't bother suggestions?

Cali preparation: What should we be doing to ensure we are safe and compliant (e.g. EU insurance, power, gas bottle, documentation, ferry protocol, etc.)?

Many thanks.

Last time we visited west Cork, we stayed at campingstmargarets.ie which is just off the ferry for the first night. Eagle point just north of Bantry was our favourite site - it was quiet though and may be different if busy! Inland a little, we loved Killarney. We were not that impressed with the ring of Kerry and thought Dingle was prettier. Driving is easy, everyone is courteous. Be prepared to wave at each and every local. The best site further north for us is at Clifden, Actons Beach...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Drove along the south coast of Ireland last year, lovely place. A trip out to the Skelligs is worthwhile.

Not the same route that you are looking at, but all the details of our trip are here: https://bettybus.wordpress.com/category/ireland/

Last edited:
Been living here for a while. Can't recommend camping in Connemara enough. Downside is you will be disappointed by everywhere else.

Single and dingle town are fantastic. I'd be wary of ring of Kerry in high season.

The Irish don't do service stations. Fill up when you can

Thanks to all. Plans are shaping up.
What's the view on taking bikes? I ask as our trip has us moving on virtually everyday and it can be a pain taking them on/off the rack.
Also, any do's/don'ts re general travel in Ireland (including on the ferry)?
Thanks.

Cycling over there is great but don't take them if you won't use them! We found the VW bike rack a pain and bought an Altera Strada rack that mounts on the tow bar and slides easily out of the way (with the bikes on) to allow access to the tailgate...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Visit the Burren in Co. Clare. Follow the coast road in Clare to Fanore and then on to Ballyvaughan. Go to Roundstone in Co. Galway and then on to Clifden. I guarantee that you won't be disappointed. If you have time carry on up to coast to Leenaun and Killary Harbour just outside Westport. Magical.

By the way Richv I don't know where you are living but I've yet to travel in a country where they have service stations in the middle of nowhere. Been living here for 57 years and haven't run out of diesel yet!

Thanks to all. Plans are shaping up.
What's the view on taking bikes? I ask as our trip has us moving on virtually everyday and it can be a pain taking them on/off the rack.
Also, any do's/don'ts re general travel in Ireland (including on the ferry)?
Thanks.

I would say don't drive every day, cycle on good days, you see so much more, and get to meet more people. It's a great way to travel if you like a drink with your lunch :embarrased and then travel on at your leisure without worrying about breathalyser ;). You never know when you'll find a good pub with a session on and it's bright till 11 or so around mid-summer so your day is long.

It can be difficult to source the correct size full gas cylinder, but you'll hopefully have a good experience with people helping you with your search. I got mine filled at a local filling station but I live on east coast.

Diesel fill - no scarcity.

The Burren and Connemara are truly magical places! Travel s l o w l y, preferably by bicycle and on foot at least some days. Hope you enjoy! :thumb

Been living here for a while. Can't recommend camping in Connemara enough. Downside is you will be disappointed by everywhere else.

Single and dingle town are fantastic. I'd be wary of ring of Kerry in high season.

The Irish don't do service stations. Fill up when you can
I planned all my routes yesterday and included the Ring of Kerry. As we are going in April do you still think we should miss it out?

We are following spaceships rentals nine days suggested route so not our own research.

Any other tips welcome including Mozzie thoughts