Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2” receiver hitch on Cali

G

Gabriel

Vehicle
T6 Coast 150 4Motion
Dear European Californians,

We are about to pull the trigger on ordering a new Cali in Germany, but are having difficulty on getting solid info on hitch options. We brought a bike rack over from the U.S./Canada that utilizes a 2” receiver hitch. The dealer says yes we'll be able to use our rack, but he can't give me a price or part number yet, so I'm skeptical. The configurator doesn't seem to give me the option either.

Do any of you seasoned Cali adventurers have experience with this conundrum? Can I get a bolt on 2” receiver solution for this rack or do I have to fabricate something?

These racks carry 6 mountain bikes upright. We rented a Cali over the summer and tried the factory 4 bike rack and weren’t impressed. We also don’t want to deal with Thule or Yakima tray solutions.

Thanks,

Gabe

images-3.jpeg
Do you mean one of these? fits an American style receiver into the fitted part of a Westfalia towbar.
You will be overweight if you put 6 bikes on a rack & I presume it will stick out a lot further than a 4 bike rack?

Or do you mean a 2 inch ball hitch. If I remember their use to be metric and imperial ball hitches sold in uk

That looks like it could work. Thanks for the response.

This is the rack. It attaches to a vehicle (hopefully a Cali) via a section of 2" Square tube that slides into a 2" receiver / hitch mount. This is the standard hitch system for most light towing in the U.S.

FF113079-7473-494D-9AD3-B580F006596A.png

Do you know the Cali's tongue weight limit?

Do you know the Cali's tongue weight limit?
100kgms.

Personally I would be very concerned carrying 6 mountain bicycles on that rack that far from the tow hitch / tailgate. There would be quit a torsional force.