Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2 seater bench - gap dimensions?

S

Stevecaterham7

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
was just about to order a 3 seater bench for my beach, but have been thinking about carrying my tandem. Can anyone confirm how wide the gap between the bench and side of the van would be with the storage box removed please? Wondering if I can squeeze it down the side with the bench in place.

Is it also true that the 2 seater bench makes for a more comfy bed?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Steve,
The gap on a 2 seater bench beach is nominally 36cm. Bit more at window level around 40cm. There is also a significant reduction in the rear boot area due to the wheel arch cover trim, probably only half the width at floor level.
I think you would struggle to easily get a tandem down the gap without either scratching the trim or getting oil on the seats. Drop bars or straight? Your previous idea of putting the back into 'bed' mode + a cover would be easier I think. That's what I sometimes do with a solo TT bike.
2 seater makes a flat and lower bed than the 3. It's still quite firm. Can and have slept without a topper but usually use a self inflating camping mat for extra comfort.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply Owen. I race the tandem in TT's, so it has a full aero bar setup, but that is minimum 42cm, so won't fit in the gap.

Might still go 2 seater though as I like the idea of the storage, and more comfy bed as well.

Bet that can shift on a decent course!
It's the manoeuvring into a gap down the side I think would make it impractical.
Might find the timekeepers wanting to use the van and or table to compile the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bet that can shift on a decent course!
It's the manoeuvring into a gap down the side I think would make it impractical.
Might find the timekeepers wanting to use the van and or table to compile the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PB is 19:46 for 10 miles at the moment, but hoping to get closer to a short 19 if we get the day this year

Impressive
22:43 pb for me on a semi sporting course. Great float night and couple of pb's set

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back