Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2011 California Aux heater problem

Puggy

Puggy

VIP Member
Hi Guys,
If you have any advice for me I would greatly appreciate it.

I have owned my Cali for 5 years and use my aux heating regularly, being a kitesurfer and surfer its a very essential piece of equipment for my sporting activities this time of the year!

Up until yesterday the heater has worked perfectly and has never let me down.
When I switch it on now it goes through the usual startup and once reaches its maximum pump clicking / fan speed it switches off then runs the fan for a few mins and tries again then switches off completely with the control panel heater light going off, No flashing or errors recorded on the control panel diagnostics log. I've tried switching the panel on /off waiting 30 seconds.
It does exactly the same now even after I have charged the batteries up for 24hrs also does the same when engine is running or hooked up to the mains.

My van is a German import 2010/11 LHD 4motion

Help please Its freezing without it..

Cheers Ian

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
If you have any advice for me I would greatly appreciate it.

I have owned my Cali for 5 years and use my aux heating regularly, being a kitesurfer and surfer its a very essential piece of equipment for my sporting activities this time of the year!

Up until yesterday the heater has worked perfectly and has never let me down.
When I switch it on now it goes through the usual startup and once reaches its maximum pump clicking / fan speed it switches off then runs the fan for a few mins and tries again then switches off completely with the control panel heater light going off, No flashing or errors recorded on the control panel diagnostics log. I've tried switching the panel on /off waiting 30 seconds.
It does exactly the same now even after I have charged the batteries up for 24hrs also does the same when engine is running or hooked up to the mains.

My van is a German import 2010/11 LHD 4motion

Help please Its freezing without it..

Cheers Ian
Sufficient Fuel? Needs a minimum of about 17-20L in the tank.

What is the amp reading in the control panel while starting up? Normally the fan pulls between 2-4 amps, and the glow plug a couple of bursts up to 15-18 amps. If it pulls more than that, with frequently bursts of 15-20 amps also under continuously use,and draining the batteries quicker than before, then it could be clogged up with soot.
You say you can here the fuel pump, good then it’s not that. There should be a fuel filter, could be clogged up. If the amp reading is normal and fan starts, then the fuel is not reaching the burner for some reason. Could also be soot in the burner, not allowing fuel injected...

• Informative
Reactions: Sad
Great ideas guys thank you,
I will check the fuel level tomorrow first, then the amps and let you know.
cheers Ian

Depending on where you are located? There are service centres for these who can whip then out and bench test/service them for you.

Hi guys,
Fuel was 1/2 a tank I have filled up just in case with the same results.

So the amp readings are very erratic whilst on hookup/engine running or engine off. when the heater is starting up the amps jump from various amounts ie -3.2 to 6.0(no minus) various amounts again. the whole cycle last 6 minutes including a retry and ending in the control centre heater light going out.

I have videoed the whole thing, its the most boring thing you will ever watch o_O but I would really appreciate any feed back. :thumb here is the link
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yedf2iypgf70hx8/IMG_1799.MOV?dl=0

Thanks again guys, Ian

My location is East Kent if anyone knows a good service/repair company this way. Also I have no idea what make it would be, any ideas? 2010/11 german import LHD.
Cheers Ian

Although my knowledge on these is not great it almost looks like the same symptoms cause by the earth shunt fault although I thought this had been rectified by the time the T5.1 facelift came in.

Yeah the thought has crossed my mind too, I did check with the German dealer to make sure the shunt problem was sorted and he assured me it was! "honest governor" (in german of course) ;)

There should be a label on the edge of the drivers door saying the make and model of the heater.

IMG_1800 2.JPG Yeah confirmed I have the Eberspacher D3 Plus.

Any other thoughts on the earth shunt before I go down the heater repair avenue.
Thanks Ian

I’m sorry, but while doing this test, watching live data about amps consumption you can’t have the engine running or on hook up...
If I can se data from start up I might be able to comment...even though you don’t have the sam auxiliary heater as I have (Webasto AirTop 3500ST).

Update
After spending a few cold hours under my van today checking the aux heater pump fuel filter and pump performance I have found that I have a blocked fuel line that is letting a small a quantity of fuel through, I have whittled it down to being between the fuel tank and the fuel pump, fortunately it seems not to be in the fuel tank pick up side but strangely either the 3 way splitter or the plastic pipe. I will hopefully find out tomorrow and let you know the out come. I will take some pics as well what might be of use to someone.
Cheers Ian

I’m sorry, but while doing this test, watching live data about amps consumption you can’t have the engine running or on hook up...
If I can se data from start up I might be able to comment...even though you don’t have the sam auxiliary heater as I have (Webasto AirTop 3500ST).
Thank you for looking, I think I have found the problem, I will update tomorrow.
Cheers Ian

Yeah that was it a blocked fuel line, heater working perfectly now!
The fuel line has a tiny bore where they have the inserts to stop the pipe from crushing whilst clamping, the blockage I got out looked like a tiny piece of plastic, any debris would get stuck before even reaching the filter in the pump! not the best design....

Thanks for your help guys.
IMG_1804.jpgIMG_1805.jpg IMG_1807.jpgIMG_1810.jpg IMG_1813.jpg

Back