Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2011 T5 180 DSG- Manual sliding door won't unlock.

JULIANLISMORE

JULIANLISMORE

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
My Cali has been parked up (outside) and SORNed since the first Covid lockdown (I was "shielding"). I used to hook up to the mains electrical supply for 24 hours, start and run the engine for a while, whilst also running the camping heater, every month or so. In more recent months I've kept the electrical hook-up more or less permanently connected. Vehicle unlocking and locking, using the remote, and opening all doors and tailgate have not presented any problems until now.

I've just been spending a good few hours giving the van a long-awaited clean before she goes to have an MoT test on Monday, so that we can get her back on the road soon.

This afternoon, out of the blue, I find that the sliding door (manual) is locked and I have been unable to unlock it, using either of our two remotes (which do otherwise actuate the central locking and unlocking of all other doors). I have tried repeatedly actuating the deadlock button on the inside of the drivers door but with no affect on the locked sliding door.

I am not expecting this problem to inhibit the issue of an MoT test certificate but have run out of ideas on what to do next to unlock the sliding door. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Incidentally, a trip to the nearest VW Van Centre means a round trip of 180 miles or so.

Is the lock button down on the door? I think you pull the inside handle twice to unlock it.

^ Agree, have you tried it from the inside? It could be that the contacts
need a bit of a spray and clean.
Thank you, and thanks to Gavin Fleming, for your suggestion. Yes, the sliding door internal lock button is down. I've just tried the internal door handle several times in quick succession but, regrettably, no joy. All other suggestions gratefully received

The lock on the sliding door of my 2013 seized a couple of weeks ago. My local independent managed to free it up by taking the panel off the inside (and broke the panel in the process). It is still sticking a bit though, I think I'll replace the lock mechanism at some point.

Thanks everyone for your responses. In the event "Hannah", as she's called, went to my friendly neighbourhood independent vehicle technician, in preparation for her MoT test, and lo and behold the door unlocked.

The motorised final sliding door closing action has also shown itself to be less than totally reliable, so when I get the chance to take it to a Van Centre I will get them to give the whole sliding door locking mechanism a once-over. I don't find any of these malfunctions particularly surprising after a lay-up of well over a year outdoors in the West Highlands.