Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters
S

StevePhilp

Vehicle
T5 SE 140 4Motion
Vehicle broke down totally out of the blue,(
unbeknown to me
4 days out of warranty), I rang for assistance on the 25th June, to be informed warranty and recovery ran out on the 21st June.

No perceived problem so far, no major event, so recovery arranged locally. On contacting VW UK they advised to take vehicle to authorised dealer which I did, 5 weeks ago, diagnosed alternator belt snapped, which has wrapped around cam belt and now need a new engine. Still no major drama, expectation dealership locally would liaise with VW UK, and as I understand a potential, recall issue and replacement engine would be authorised.

No no no....still waiting to have for authorisation, all this time, local dealer not happy as van is taking up a bay, and blocking up other work.

Yesterday I received a call from local dealer requesting I now contact VW UK, which I have now done, and I am now awaiting for a call back from a manager, as the fault has now been escalated, I got impression no electronic record of correspondence between local dealer and VW UK, vehicle has been off the road since 25th June, planned holidays ruined, no further forward with repair/replacement and at what cost. Incidentally California bought from new from Preston van centre, who were not interested when I called for advice at point of break down, and vehicle still under VW finance agreement.

So what?

What would be a reasonable outcome, I am hoping a new engine, at no cost.

This has been reported before (search for existing threads for names etc) and I believe the outcome was a reinforced cam belt cover so VW know about this issue.

I would follow the line of; VW knew about this issue and failed to recall my vehicle for the fix(even if there is no official recall notice) and press them to do it under warranty.

This has been reported before (search for existing threads for names etc) and I believe the outcome was a reinforced cam belt cover so VW know about this issue.

I would follow the line of; VW knew about this issue and failed to recall my vehicle for the fix(even if there is no official recall notice) and press them to do it under warranty.

Thank you for the reply, that's very helpful.

This is dreadful! As a matter of interest how many miles has your Cali covered?

Sorry to hear this, There has been a recall with the alternator belt tensioner? relating to this issue. I think you need to find out why you didn't get a recall request. I was advised when I booked mine in for a MOT.

Sorry to hear this, There has been a recall with the alternator belt tensioner? relating to this issue. I think you need to find out why you didn't get a recall request. I was advised when I booked mine in for a MOT.
I am just waiting for a response but I will certainly push the fact its a known fault. Thank you for advice, much appreciated.

Vehicle broke down totally out of the blue,(
unbeknown to me

What would be a reasonable outcome, I am hoping a new engine, at no cost.

Assuming it has been regularly serviced by a VW Dealer, certainly a. very large contribution to the repair work. It should not have happened and there have been known problems requiring fixing.

Assuming it has been regularly serviced by a VW Dealer, certainly a. very large contribution to the repair work. It should not have happened and there have been known problems requiring fixing.
Thank you I will get in touch with VW finance, once I have spoken with VW UK.

regards

Our auxiliary belt snapped Easter last year in France. Fortunately no other damage done and replaced under warranty.
We had not received any notification about the problem and only found out when the French dealer told us
Later in the year it was changed again while being serviced. I queried why and was then told about the revised plate. So, I'm not certain that owners were informed, only when it went in to a dealer. Not good. Hope you get it sorted but if my ongoing duel with VW re roof repair is anything to go by it will be a tussle.

Our auxiliary belt snapped Easter last year in France. Fortunately no other damage done and replaced under warranty.
We had not received any notification about the problem and only found out when the French dealer told us
Later in the year it was changed again while being serviced. I queried why and was then told about the revised plate. So, I'm not certain that owners were informed, only when it went in to a dealer. Not good. Hope you get it sorted but if my ongoing duel with VW re roof repair is anything to go by it will be a tussle.

Thank you, it's ongoing and not straightforward.

VW UK now liaising with local dealer, its a merry go round.

regards

Back