Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2015 California Ocean T5 - Seat Back Issue

D

David Ludlow

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
Dear all – for my 2015 California Ocean T5 - does anybody have experience in removing/ fitting the rear plastic cover to the seats on the Ocean (see picture below) I have successfully removed the 2 lower fixing bolts and the 2 screws either side of the seat belt fittings left and right - BUT not sure how to tackle the 9 slotted retaining bolts (3 black strips in image)? Apparently only need to slide the entire unit upward to move it off the 9 bolts? Is that it or am I missing something major? All assistance most appreciated!! David

1594465118673.png

Dear all – for my 2015 California Ocean T5 - does anybody have experience in removing/ fitting the rear plastic cover to the seats on the Ocean (see picture below) I have successfully removed the 2 lower fixing bolts and the 2 screws either side of the seat belt fittings left and right - BUT not sure how to tackle the 9 slotted retaining bolts (3 black strips in image)? Apparently only need to slide the entire unit upward to move it off the 9 bolts? Is that it or am I missing something major? All assistance most appreciated!! David

View attachment 62665
There are plastic plugs on the frame that go into the slots, if my memory serves me correctly, 5 yrs ago since I did mine after a mishap. You have to pull the top of the cover, the bit sticking up, outwards, towards tailgate to avoid catching material, and upwards at the same time. A lot of force required. But if you are not saving the old one it doesn't matter.

Hi - that's great - many thanks!

Hi - one further update - I have successfully replaced the seat cover - thanks once again for your assistance - my experience was that pulling the back off was easier than expected as the 9 retaining plugs disengaged from the mountings in the rear of the seat and effectively the back came off in my hands! And replacement was more or less straightforward!

I have just discovered my back trim has a crack in it near the right hand seatbelt too, 2018 T6. Where did you buy the replacement back please?

I have just discovered my back trim has a crack in it near the right hand seatbelt too, 2018 T6. Where did you buy the replacement back please?
From VW Dealership, or I got mine from the Forum Shop, but you will have to telephone them, and have your VIN number handy to ensure you get the correct part. Also, if you are a VIP member you get a Discount.

Thankyou! I have no idea how mine cracked, very strange!

I would've expected them to be a bit more robust than this, it's quite flimsy plastic isn't it?!!

I would've expected them to be a bit more robust than this, it's quite flimsy plastic isn't it?!!
It’s not that common. I did mine by persevering to get the backrest flat when something was jamming it underneath.

I presume that's what happened to mine but I have no idea when, there may have been a teenager involved!!!

Back