Meoncoast

Meoncoast

an Ocean by the Sea
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
for info 2017 Britstop now out came in post today

Wait for the inevitable list of updates when they realise the numbering system is incorrect, a location leaves etc. "Please amend in your book"

Last year I'd have spent more time writing in the book than travelling there were so many changes!

Can't understand why they don't offer an electronic format alongside the book?

Searchforsites is planning on launching an app with all their up to date data available off line. Britstops will be under real pressure then (saying that, I've not seen how he's enhanced Britstops this year).

I can't decide whether to sign up this year. I had the 2016 book and the stops I used were all excellent but I was disappointed that the majority stopovers in the book were pubs. I prefer the farm shops and vineyards.
So I'd be interested to hear whether this year it's the same.

I can't decide whether to sign up this year. I had the 2016 book and the stops I used were all excellent but I was disappointed that the majority stopovers in the book were pubs. I prefer the farm shops and vineyards.
So I'd be interested to hear whether this year it's the same.

I am hesitating for the same reasons ;)

yes, most are pubs I would like more farm shops

What does the book offer that the various online googlemap type websites don't?
They are listed sites that have agreed to allow members overnight stays free of charge, mostly pubs, some farm shops etc. Membership gives you the book of sites and a window sticker. There's also a Facebook page where members give feedback.

Searchforsites is planning on launching an app with all their up to date data available off line. Britstops will be under real pressure then (saying that, I've not seen how he's enhanced Britstops this year).

Yes, I've tried the online version on an Ipad and found the map interface really jumpy, hopefully that will improve. Some additional filters like being able to filter on open all year etc would be useful. I'd certainly pay for a good comprehensive tool.

I cancelled my Britstops membership this year, to be honest I figured
  • How many places will have been added to pay again
  • Of the ones I have visited I have only ever found 1 good one
  • Most places tell me they don't get anything out of it other than the extra trade and so if you stopped and asked to stay if you ate/drank in the pub then they would say Yes anyway!
  • No electronic availability
  • Facebook group that encourages feedback, when you give anything but a glowing reference you are excluded form the group...which kind of defeats the object.

We've just signed up for our first time with Britstops and will report back. No idea what it'll be like, but reviews on this forum have been fairly positive.

I purchased the book a few years back, it still sounds like nothing has changed as it was 95% pubs back then. Also most pubs I have stopped at that are not in the book will happily let you stop over if you buy a few beers.

I have found much more useful free stop overs on the motorhome forums.

Never bought the book before but will give it a try - we're just starting out :)

couple of stays covers the cost of book.
It work s for some people I do wonder how many pubs would just let you stay if you asked whether in the book or not.

We have never been asked for proof of membership or had anyone check our sticker in 3 years and about 20 stopovers.

Can't find a single vineyard here in Scotland to stay over at, what rubbish! Actually think the Britstop attempt to follow France Passion is a worthy attempt and needs support. It also has been a huge boost to trade for our local pub with lots of foreign vans stopping over.... another important piece of the puzzle that makes for a community