Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2018 Beach 150 DSG 4Motion

burnercan

burnercan

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
After a long and seemingly arduous wait, it has arrived!

IMG_0854.JPG IMG_0853.JPG

We are pretty tickled with it and are itching to get a few bits and bobs sorted out so we can hit the road on a whim. I plan to use this thread to log the evolution as any mods get added as well as observations and any snags that come up.

One thing that jumped out at me, our comfort dash has a hole just above the lighter where some usb ports lived in the demo models. Strange they would put a cover there to plug the hole. The dealer reckons this is how they are delivered if you don't select the "comfort preparation" option. A bit half-assed if you ask me but it's a pretty small detail.

IMG_0846.JPG

We took it for a day one tour which was more of a refresher test drive really. Funny how so many months between test drives and delivery makes it all really a bit of a surprise.

The ride is good, but more crashy/clunky than I remember from the demos. Mostly noticed with speed bumps. We never test drove any 18" wheels, and they must roughen the ride a bit. Anybody who has gone from 17" to 18" noticed this? I also spec'd the HD ARB's which seem to have done wonders for the rolly, wallowy feel I remember from test drives. Maybe this is a bit of a placebo effect since I paid for them and therefore expected good results, but my wife even commented on it through a round-about. Maybe they also are contributing to the crashy/clunky feel? I wouldn't have thought so.

Another surprise was how easy it is to remove the hubcaps. I haven't had a vehicle with hubcaps for years, and kind of assumed that a tool would be required to remove them. I might have to leave those at home if we visit Legoland, since at present there is no spare wheel so they may be nicked instead! Though, I doubt there is much of a market for them...

Like the Wheels & Two Tone ;)

PS: My comfort Dash has a cover on that hole...( I think front Pillar Blackouts would look great see mine)

20180502_113326.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks! It's ok for us to be biased ;)

My comfort Dash has a cover on that hole

Cool, I'll see if I can scrounge up the part number. I'm also going to look into adding the USB ports there. How hard can it be?

I think front Pillar Blackouts would look great

Me too, they are near the top of the list for things to get ordered up. Did you install them yourself?

i did but the 2nd side was better than first you learn on the job. Get the whole sticker on the flat bit first then carefully start tucking sides in from top...

There was an free option that had to be requested....i think it was 'UI2 - 2 USB Interfaces'.

This then gets you an extra USB port in that cubby hole.

PS: My comfort Dash has a cover on that hole...( I think front Pillar Blackouts would look great see mine)

View attachment 32725

Wonderful camper, congratulations.

I can't remember if I have a cover over the empty USB slot - I will check on the way home.

About the clunky (rattling) noise. Believe it or not, I don't know the size of our wheels. But I experience this too. The reason for this, with our camper, is that the springs are as hard as a peace of wood. Each single bump goes through the entire van. When we got the van the sales person said that it was ordered with different springs (harder) and because it was a demo model we had no saying in the configuration. Over al this is a wee bit enjoying especially on narrow country roads.

Eberhard

Also loving the two tone with retro wheels look. Really nice looking van.

Might have to explore getting some of those wheels for mine...

p.s. I've had two Beaches with comfort dash and both had a usb there rather than a hole. Don't think I asked for them so must have got lucky.

Wonderful camper, congratulations.

I can't remember if I have a cover over the empty USB slot - I will check on the way home.

About the clunky (rattling) noise. Believe it or not, I don't know the size of our wheels. But I experience this too. The reason for this, with our camper, is that the springs are as hard as a peace of wood. Each single bump goes through the entire van. When we got the van the sales person said that it was ordered with different springs (harder) and because it was a demo model we had no saying in the configuration. Over al this is a wee bit enjoying especially on narrow country roads.

Eberhard
Check the Tyre pressures are correct as per the sticker on the Drivers B pillar.
Not unknown for the numpties at the Dealership to overinflate the tyres.

Congratulations! Same colour as ours I think (Starlight Blue/Candy White)?

Wish we had those wheels available in the UK.

One thing might be worth getting is the black decal for the B pillar; ours (see below) came with it as standard but they are available from the club shop.

D1FCCCAF-D058-482E-A0AE-419E914CD9D2.jpeg

One thing might be worth getting is the black decal for the B pillar; ours (see below) came with it as standard but they are available from the club shop.

View attachment 32735

Hey thanks! The B pillar decal is on the list ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 32735

The wheels are available in UK as per mine ...

Last edited:
The B Pillar decal is standard If you order the crome package!

We couldn't order the chrome pack on the Beaches here. I always found it strange all these little differences in availability of options when the units are all made in the same factory...

I couldn't order anything on mine as it was already built! :D

Another small surprise, no inverter installed from factory. Behind the left door there are two receptacles, one of which had always thought would be a 230V low power outlet from an inverter. Mais non! The upper is a 12V 20A and the lower is the 230V mains outlet.

Are inverters installed as standard on the UK models? I don't even have the owners manual yet, dealer told me he was waiting for it. So I'm kind of bumbling around touching buttons, flipping switches and trying to work out what's where with out any instructions..

Not unknown for the numpties at the Dealership to overinflate the tyres.

Good call WG, all were over by about 10-15%.. The ride is better for sure after I set them, still a bit clunky though. Builders van clunky I guess, and that's fine with me :thumb

Good call WG, all were over by about 10-15%.. The ride is better for sure after I set them, still a bit clunky though. Builders van clunky I guess, and that's fine with me :thumb
Don’t forget they are designed to carry a load, so should be better when loaded, or if driving empty you could try 2psi or more lower.
The Ocean already has a load on board unlike the Beach.

Back