Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2018 beach to 2023 beach

Roc1

Roc1

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
My pcp on my 2018 Beach is up end of this year so am looking at what to do. If i wanted to keep it i'd have to re-finance to pay it off over another 4 years, but by the end i'd have a 10 year old van with prob 100k miles on the clock.

Would like to still have a camper as we've loved the versatility of the Beach.

So had a quote for a new 6.1 Beach Camper which is doable. I just wondered aside from the little kitchen (which i'd prob never use) and a few cosmetic differences, is there anything notable that has been changed from the T6 version? Is it the same engine etc? VW says its a 'motorhome registration', does that have tax / insurance implications over the Beach Tour?

Thanks for any help!

Motorhome registration means its £295 tax per year & avoids the over £40k surcharge.

Presumably if you went for a new van in 4 years time you would be in exactly the same situation but with a bigger final payment to finance/pay

A T6 assuming its not a very early one has got Adblu and meets the same emissions standards as a new one, keep it, a 10 year old cali is still desirable & 100k is just run in, it would just be a few cosmetic changes but in 4 years time you won't owe anything.

Externally 99.99% of the general public would know the difference between a T5.1, T6 or T6.1

I would understand changing if you wanted the new kitchen or LEDs or a night heater if your current van doesn't have them.

PS. I'm probably the worst person to ask if you look at my record of van buying & selling.

It will feel a fair bit different.

I think the steering rack was changed along with other modifications. I know the floor plan around gearbox tunnel changed and they removed the footrest.

I had 2different 6.1 Beaches and never connected up the gas bottle to the Hob. If they did the option to omit it and save £500, I would have done. It also doesn’t pull out when the bed is out.

Motorhome registration means its £295 tax per year & avoids the over £40k surcharge.

Presumably if you went for a new van in 4 years time you would be in exactly the same situation but with a bigger final payment to finance/pay

A T6 assuming its not a very early one has got Adblu and meets the same emissions standards as a new one, keep it, a 10 year old cali is still desirable & 100k is just run in, it would just be a few cosmetic changes but in 4 years time you won't owe anything.

Externally 99.99% of the general public would know the difference between a T5.1, T6 or T6.1

I would understand changing if you wanted the new kitchen or LEDs or a night heater if your current van doesn't have them.

PS. I'm probably the worst person to ask if you look at my record of van buying & selling.
Yeah all good points. My current beach has all I need really, its euro 6 with leds etc, and so if I got a new one that’s coming in at £65k or so then I did wonder what I’m going to notice that’s different.

We have a 2017 T6 Beach; 6th birthday on 1 March. We always intended to keep it at least ten years. It has done 85,000 miles already, and would have topped 100,000 already if:
a) the pandemic never happened, and;
b) we hadn’t bought a second car for city use (which has done 13,000 miles since July 2019).

It played the part of a beach hut yesterday, and today took six of us to Butlins in Bognor Regis for a day pass.

It is such a brilliant machine.

Yeah all good points. My current beach has all I need really, its euro 6 with leds etc, and so if I got a new one that’s coming in at £65k or so then I did wonder what I’m going to notice that’s different.
I only changed from our 2014 Ocean in 2021 as there were loads of differences, bigger engine, Euro 6, auto in lieu of manual, LED lights, digital dash, Etc etc so really felt like an upgrade.
It sounds like you would almost just be getting the same again just newer so why do it?

Perhaps spend a few quid & get your existing van Valeted professionally , get some new carpets / seat covers & it would feel like you've got a new one anyway.

Last edited:
I don’t think anyone is going to ban diesel vehicles but it’s very possible we won’t be allowed into certain cities etc in the near future. The world is changing and I don’t think I would buy an expensive new diesel unless I had a very strong reason. I would say definitely keep the van you have.

I have a 2008 van and am not planning on ever changing it.

Plus there are other considerations. If your van has no problems - in particular bad roof bubbling - I would stick with the one you’ve got.

My pcp on my 2018 Beach is up end of this year so am looking at what to do. If i wanted to keep it i'd have to re-finance to pay it off over another 4 years, but by the end i'd have a 10 year old van with prob 100k miles on the clock.

So had a quote for a new 6.1 Beach Camper which is doable. I just wondered aside from the little kitchen (which i'd prob never use) and a few cosmetic differences, is there anything notable that has been changed from the T6 version? Is it the same engine etc? VW says its a 'motorhome registration', does that have tax / insurance implications over the Beach Tour?

Thanks for any help!
Personally if I had a T6 I would keep it. As yet no problems with congestion zones and 100k should be no problem. I would not spend the extra money however it may depend on how you wish to be seen by others and running costs, can you drive an old van or do you feel to need to be seen in the latest model. If yours is working OK I would suggest keeping it as you do not know what teething problems you will get with a new one. However that is what I would do and it is good that you are considering the differences of a new model. Here is a good site to get that sort of information.

As you said you like the versatility of the Beach would the addition of the kitchen compromise that. You may wish however to consider the tax you pay now compared to what you will pay and that a new van may come with servicing included and a longer guarantee Why not draw up a list of pros and cons.

As someone else said the difference in cost you will need to find when the van is older may be an issue and also you may have more hassle selling an old van.

So I had a joker t6.1 and have gone back to t6 now a kombi.
The drive/steering is more car like on a t6.1, the cockpit display is posher and electric window buttons are in a better spot too.
The dash is awful on the t6.1, storage slots so small you can’t fit anything in it and look untidy if you do try.

I prefer the t6 as it feels more van like to drive and the older stereo has a cd player and smaller display, so finger print marks as less noticeable (Both had CarPlay)
The front end looks nicer on t6.

I wish I never sold my T6 joker, newer isn’t always better once you take price into account too.

We will be in this dilemma in a couple of years with our 2019 T6 Beach. We were originally going for a 6.1 but didn't want the wait at the time. Ours is quite a basic one with only £10,000 miles on the clock as previous owner didn't seem to use it! If we got a new one all we would probably add is the LED lights and a parking heater as we don't think we would need anything else, and we are put off by all the electrics in the 6.1 as most seem to have had issues!
As its my daily drive with 3 kids I wouldn't mind the Beach Tour but the road tax is huge and it doesn't have an electric hook up point on it. I think the only reason for the little cooker in the Beach Camper is just so that it can be called a camper and the road tax is cheaper.

we are put off by all the electrics in the 6.1 as most seem to have had issues!
Thats a pretty big assertion. Like any forum those impacted by negative experiences are going to be disproportionately vocal, and quite rightly. But to assume most 6.1 owners are in that boat does not reflect the reality.

So I had a joker t6.1 and have gone back to t6 now a kombi.
The drive/steering is more car like on a t6.1, the cockpit display is posher and electric window buttons are in a better spot too.
The dash is awful on the t6.1, storage slots so small you can’t fit anything in it and look untidy if you do try.

I prefer the t6 as it feels more van like to drive and the older stereo has a cd player and smaller display, so finger print marks as less noticeable (Both had CarPlay)
The front end looks nicer on t6.

I wish I never sold my T6 joker, newer isn’t always better once you take price into account too.

The T6.1 was a budget cut of the T6.
I wish I could buy a new T6 today… :sad

We have a 2017 T6 Beach; 6th birthday on 1 March. We always intended to keep it at least ten years. It has done 85,000 miles already, and would have topped 100,000 already if:
a) the pandemic never happened, and;
b) we hadn’t bought a second car for city use (which has done 13,000 miles since July 2019).

It played the part of a beach hut yesterday, and today took six of us to Butlins in Bognor Regis for a day pass.

It is such a brilliant machine.
The beauty about Butlins in Bognor Regis is you go for the day but it feels like a week - great value holiday for the family

Thanks for the replies. Decided to pay off the Beach over the next 3 years and own it, and by then there maybe an improvement in the charging infrastructure (yeah right!) or even a buzz with improved range. In the meantime going to enjoy all the camping adventures and day to day practicality the Beach gives us.

Thanks for any help!
Hi you may find this video helpful in describing the differences

I'd stick with what you have. New van prices are insane. Pay it off and sell it, you likely won't lose much if at all

What rea

I think the steering rack was changed along with other modifications. I know the floor plan around gearbox tunnel changed and they removed the footrest.

I had 2different 6.1 Beaches and never connected up the gas bottle to the Hob. If they did the option to omit it and save £500, I would have done. It also doesn’t pull out when the bed is out.
What rear seats do you have. We've got 2 seats bench seat and the side boxes. I'm sure we've used the find out cooker with the bed down.
We don't use the cooker often, but invaluable when we do.

What rea

What rear seats do you have. We've got 2 seats bench seat and the side boxes. I'm sure we've used the find out cooker with the bed down.
We don't use the cooker often, but invaluable when we do.
The 3 seat bench is higher than the 2 seat so the hob can’t be used with the bed out in the 3 seat.

The cooker does pull out when the bed is out. I have made coffee in bed in mine.

Back