Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2019 Festival Season...T minus one month!

LowMan

LowMan

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
The lighter nights... the warmer weather (well sometimes)... It's pretty much that time again. The chance to escape the chaos and immerse yourself in long weekends dedicated to your own favourite pastimes...

For us, that's unquestionably music... First of many festivals planned for this year, kicks off with Bearded Theory in Derbyshire next month.

Highlights we're looking forward to for the season:

- Oh Sees + Bearded Theory
- Kraftwerk + Bluedot
- Four Tet + GreenMan
- Inner City + Moovin

As always though, the over arching highlight is the company of the wonderful folk and the vibe they create x

What are your festival plans this year, and what are your looking forward to when you get there?

Cropredy festival in August. Haven’t been for many years, so looking forward very much.

VW Festival - Harewood House, Leeds. Been every year since it started. Its a good weekend, held second weekend in August.

Truckfest in Peterborough in May and the War and peace revival in July if these count.

Glastonbury Abbey Extravaganza in August, they haven't announced the line-up yet, it will be our sixth year on the trot.
Cropredy Folk Festival in August for our second year running, looking forward to the Waterboys.

Latitude in July. Kids can't wait to see George Ezra. I'm hoping they will manage to stay awake for Underworld.

The lighter nights... the warmer weather (well sometimes)... It's pretty much that time again. The chance to escape the chaos and immerse yourself in long weekends dedicated to your own favourite pastimes...

For us, that's unquestionably music... First of many festivals planned for this year, kicks off with Bearded Theory in Derbyshire next month.

Highlights we're looking forward to for the season:

- Oh Sees *+ Bearded Theory
- Kraftwerk *+ Bluedot
- Four Tet *+ GreenMan
- Inner City *+ Moovin

As always though, the over arching highlight is the company of the wonderful folk and the vibe they create x

What are your festival plans this year, and what are your looking forward to when you get there?
Not much of a festival go-er (have performed at some myself but only been to 3 in my 53 yrs...)
Thanks for the insight to those though and from your post I just looked a at a snapshot of each band.
I liked the Kraftwerk I remember from the 80's
Didn't go much on oh see's
Liked the fortets
and could probably have enjoyed inner city once immersed in the atmosphere.

I am however going to see
Frank Turner + Wickham Festival. Very addictive stuff for me (a lot of it was too shouty for me at first listen but beware.....!!!!) I'm hooked. A real festival flavour ( in my vast experience :Grin )

Last edited:
Latitude in July. Kids can't wait to see George Ezra. I'm hoping they will manage to stay awake for Underworld.
Hey that's great. Underworld at Latitude will be brilliant. One of our fav bands. Last time we saw them was at Bluedot Festival, performing with the Lovell telescope as a backdrop. Absolutely fantastic. Had everyone dancing from the nine year olds to the ninety year olds...

Cropredy festival in August. Haven’t been for many years, so looking forward very much.

Did Cropredy last year but this year have booked Lakefest in that time slot. Looking forward to the change.

This year’s, already booked:
  • Camperfest (Chester) with food and drinks festival - already done at Easter weekend (first festival in the new Cali).
  • Shepley Spring festival (May)
  • Bushcraft Show (May)
  • Beardy folk festival (June)
  • Ely folk festival (July)
  • Lakefest (August)
  • Shrewsbury folk festival (August)
Also a tai chi training weekend in July.

Maybe - depends on a family birthday party: Maldon smoke and fire festival (August) - depends on work (they just don’t get that they interfere with my festival programme): Gate to Southwell festival (June), Bromyard folk festival (September).

Derby folk festival (October) is on the doorstep but it’s not the same without camping, so may just go to a few bits.

Loads more I’d love to go to and always on the lookout for others, but they have to have camping AND be dog-friendly (at least on the campsite and the action not too far away from the camping area). Also, no fireworks, as the dog’s petrified of them!

Last edited:
Elly, I thought you said you weren’t much of a festival goer...

• Camperfest (Chester) with food and drinks festival - already done at Easter weekend (first festival in the new Cali).
  • Bushcraft Show (May)
  • Lakefest (August)

Maybe - depends on a family birthday party: Maldon smoke and fire festival (August) - depends on work (they just don’t get that they interfere with my festival programme): Gate to Southwell festival (June), Bromyard folk festival (September).

Derby folk festival (October) is on the doorstep but it’s not the same without camping, so may just go to a few bits.

Loads more I’d love to go to and always on the lookout for others, but they have to have camping AND be dog-friendly (at least on the campsite and the action not too far away from the camping area). Also, no fireworks, as the dog’s petrified of them!
Elly, I thought you said you weren’t much of a festival goer...
Can’t get enough of ‘em, Erbster. One of the joys of having a campervan. Music, comedy, books, anything really except, funnily enough, vw festivals. Looking for more foodie ones now.

We had a great time at Camperfest this Easter. Helped by the amazing weather and the fact that Chester itself is sensational.

Camping on the racecourse with loos and showers (including free entry to the Sat, Sun and Mon food festival, in and out anytime you like) was only £35 each. Camping’s open from midday on the Thu to Mon evening.

I went to a lot of interesting demos. The biggest celebs there were Simon Rimmer, Andy Oliver and Matt Trebbutt. All very approachable and enthusiastic. Loads of other good chefs too. The organisation and compering by #chesterfoodanddrink was brilliant.

Can’t find any other food festivals with camping, but trawling around Google for some.

Looking forward to the Bushcraft show as they’ll be lots of fire & outdoor prep and cooking info/demos. Hubby’s not too keen, so thought I’d go on my own but as it’s in the National Forest he’s coming with the dog for a chillax and some walking over that bank holiday weekend.

Last edited:
  • Bushcraft Show (May)
  • Lakefest (August)

That's an ace schedule Elly. I'm a little envious :). Heard a lot of good things about Lakefest. A mate of mine is doing some PA work there this year. He's been trying to persuade me to go, but sadly it clashes with other stuff. Have a great time though...at all of them x

Anyone going to Santapod raceway 17th - 19th May

Been for the last couple of years, great day out or weekend camping ? Surprised that my kids liked it that much the first time, as we were leaving asked, can we come here again !

Fast cars, fast food, beer, traders and lots of entertainment, fair ground, monster trucks etc etc kids under 16 go free. What’s not to like, I get my Petrol head fix and everyone’s a winner.

2 adults and four kids in the Cali and an awning this year!!!

Should be a fun filled weekend

I had set this as a new thread although it appears to have been buried and is not available to respond to my original thread due to insufficient privileges, just so happens this clashes with an official club event ! Strange !

I had set this as a new thread although it appears to have been buried and is not available to respond to my original thread due to insufficient privileges, just so happens this clashes with an official club event ! Strange !
I think you might be jumping to conclusions here...

Reported the issues to mods, no response, can’t see my original post in the normal thread without specifically searching for it ? No responses,, cannot respond myself.
Maybe ?

(Maybe) haha Hong-Kong fooey

I saw a discussion about a thread that could not be replied to the other day, I think there are still outstanding permissions issues left over from the migration to the new forum software.

Thanks for your input Loz, very helpful

Not much of a festival go-er (have performed at some myself but only been to 3 in my 53 yrs...)
Thanks for the insight to those though and from your post I just looked a at a snapshot of each band.
I liked the Kraftwerk I remember from the 80's
Didn't go much on oh see's
Liked the fortets
and could probably have enjoyed inner city once immersed in the atmosphere.

I am however going to see
Frank Turner *+ Wickham Festival. Very addictive stuff for me (a lot of it was too shouty for me at first listen but beware.....!!!!) I'm hooked. A real festival flavour ( in my vast experience :Grin )

Wickham for me too. Pleased to see that they have new camping fields this year - that stubble was a bit grim and SO dusty last year.

Back