2021 6.1. Discover Pro Sat Nav problems

Jimmmy

Jimmmy

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Hi there,

Hope someone can help :)

Brand new 6.1. Cali Ocean (Discover Pro) with sat nav problem:
When you tap Sat Nav icon it jams on "Starting Navigation" and the blue circle keeps revolving...
So I did a hard re-set and still the same.
So then I checked in System Information and it shows Navigation database: (i.e. blank)
So then I did a factory re-set, and still no database.

Anyone else had this, and anyone got ideas for a solution ?

Many thanks :thumb

IMG_4536.jpg

IMG_4543.jpg

Hi Jimmmy,

I had the exact same problem on our my21 ocean.

After hours of messing about, and even trying to load maps and firmware I gave up and went back to the dealers.

They changed the complete unit and it’s been fine ever since.

I must admit the new infotainment systems in general appear to have loads of glitches, seems like VW have got some catching up to do with the competition on these.

Si

Thanks Si, that sounds a pretty drastic and expensive way of tackling the problem !!

I also have tried re-loading maps and factory re-set but to no success.

My thoughts were that they should be able to install the latest software version and re-boot and it should sort itself out, afterall I think my problem was created when it tried to update itself.
Anyway it's under warranty so I'll probably leave it to the spring now.

Did they do any damage to your vehicle whilst swopping the unit over, and which dealership did you use ?

Jim

Hi Jim,

To be fair there was no damage at all, you wouldn’t even know it’s been changed. They did forget to activate loads of options on the new unit (CarPlay etc) so it was another trip back to get them activated but it is as good as the VW unit gets now.

Interestingly it happened about 2 weeks after collecting, sounds like yours might be a similar situation?

I thought it might just be a forced software upgrade, and so did the dealer but my unit just wouldn't take it.

Used Swansway in Birmingham, they’ve got a great tech lad there who’s great on Calis.

Si

Thanks Si,
Great to know you used Swansway Birmingham, they are easy enough for me to get to.
I will try to get the latest software installed but if that fails it seems like a new unit required.
Really appreciate your info. Thanks.
Jim

We have exactly the same unit on our 6.1 and it has been fine.

Can you use Android Auto or Apple Car Play instead? I actually prefer Google Maps to VW's effort.

We have exactly the same unit on our 6.1 and it has been fine.

Can you use Android Auto or Apple Car Play instead? I actually prefer Google Maps to VW's effort.
Yes, everything else works fine and I totally agree that Google Maps are pretty good.

It's more of an annoyance than a necessity with the sat nav, it cost alot of money and should just work. Too many of these modern systems are rushed to market without proper thought and testing. And on top of that there needs to be better investment in electronics training at the dealerships to solve issues like this to avoid simply binning the kit and replacing them :oops:

Yes, everything else works fine and I totally agree that Google Maps are pretty good.

It's more of an annoyance than a necessity with the sat nav, it cost alot of money and should just work. Too many of these modern systems are rushed to market without proper thought and testing. And on top of that there needs to be better investment in electronics training at the dealerships to solve issues like this to avoid simply binning the kit and replacing them :oops:
I would be very, very surprised if VW build the In Car Entertainment/SatNav system. More likely a 3rd party. If something goes wrong with it that cannot be fixed by a software upgrade then VWs contract with the 3rd party supplier is replacement, with the old unit returned to the maker who also picks up the cost of the new unit + VW labour costs.
I very much doubt if any vehicle manufacturers build any of the electronics in modern vehicles.

Land Rover uses LG's Pivi infotainment system, and Renault, Volvo Korea uses LG's system too. LG moved out from the mobile phone market, transfer their knowhow to the car infotainment markets. Along with this crazy chip issues, Car manufacturers should learn fast from the IT's as others are too advanced already.

I have exactly the same issue on my November 2020 6.1. A call to the dealer this morning, it seems!!

That's interesting to know. Please post an update. I still haven't sorted ours, it's a real faff sorting issues like this out !!

I have recently had a problem with the Media pro unit and lost all functionality, music, nav, car play etc, including the sos button Which prompted a warning on the dash. I have mine booked in to a dealer soon but meantime I read on a other thread about disconnecting the battery temporarily. I did that yesterday with the negative connection only for 15 minutes and having reconnected I eventually had all functions back. I had to clear a lot of warnings but a quick drive sorted those. It might help you for now, but overall the system is pretty poor especially when the cost of it is considered.

I have recently had a problem with the Media pro unit and lost all functionality, music, nav, car play etc, including the sos button Which prompted a warning on the dash. I have mine booked in to a dealer soon but meantime I read on a other thread about disconnecting the battery temporarily. I did that yesterday with the negative connection only for 15 minutes and having reconnected I eventually had all functions back. I had to clear a lot of warnings but a quick drive sorted those. It might help you for now, but overall the system is pretty poor especially when the cost of it is considered.
Thanks for the advice. I think you're more brave than me !! All the tech stuff on these Cali's seems so fragile I am wary of disconnecting the power in case I solve one problem - and create another.
Well done sorting it though.
I still plan to take ours to a VW dealership when I have collected together all the other items that need sorting :)

Thanks Si, that sounds a pretty drastic and expensive way of tackling the problem !!

I also have tried re-loading maps and factory re-set but to no success.

My thoughts were that they should be able to install the latest software version and re-boot and it should sort itself out, afterall I think my problem was created when it tried to update itself.
Anyway it's under warranty so I'll probably leave it to the spring now.

Did they do any damage to your vehicle whilst swopping the unit over, and which dealership did you use ?

Jim
If it's out of warranty I strongly recommend these guys in London:

Hi there,

Hope someone can help :)

Brand new 6.1. Cali Ocean (Discover Pro) with sat nav problem:
When you tap Sat Nav icon it jams on "Starting Navigation" and the blue circle keeps revolving...
So I did a hard re-set and still the same.
So then I checked in System Information and it shows Navigation database: (i.e. blank)
So then I did a factory re-set, and still no database.

Anyone else had this, and anyone got ideas for a solution ?

Many thanks :thumb

View attachment 85973

View attachment 85974
Hi Jimmmy

Sorry I’m so late to this but how did you get this fixed please as I have exact same problem.

Hi Steve,

In the end I lost patience with VW and after about a year it must have resolved itself with an over the air automatic update. However that update then created additional problems with screen refresh when using Apple Car Play - these issues remain.

VW are not the company they once were and their products are certainly not as robust or reliable, and the tech side is pretty woeful.

I would think you could get a VW garage to force update the unit if you are willing to spend the time (and potentially money) to get this done. But in reality you might be better biting the bullet and replacing the whole unit with a decent after-market product.

Good luck :)

Hi Steve,

In the end I lost patience with VW and after about a year it must have resolved itself with an over the air automatic update. However that update then created additional problems with screen refresh when using Apple Car Play - these issues remain.

VW are not the company they once were and their products are certainly not as robust or reliable, and the tech side is pretty woeful.

I would think you could get a VW garage to force update the unit if you are willing to spend the time (and potentially money) to get this done. But in reality you might be better biting the bullet and replacing the whole unit with a decent after-market product.

Good luck :)
Thanks Jimmmy, mines been like it for a couple weeks now so was hoping it might fix it self, it’s really poor for a vehicle that’s just turned 4 years old!
Thanks for your reply

Back