Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2021 Coast rear suspension sagging ?

CaliforniaPete

CaliforniaPete

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Is it right that our 2021 Coast ride high seems to be about 40mm lower than the front ?
I have seen that the chassis seems to be a T30 ( from the label in the left hand wheel arch under the bonnet).
Is this standard for the California and would T32 stronger springs help level it up.
I have here seen on a video by Transporter HQ that fitting Eibach stronger springs cure this .
My question is, would fitt8ng stronger springs invalidate the warranty ? And why does it not sit level direct from the factory ?
thanks

On T6's the rear spring colour coding indicated that they were T32 ones.
I'd assume but no guarantee that you have them fitted.
There was spring colour coding info on a thread.

Is it right that our 2021 Coast ride high seems to be about 40mm lower than the front ?
I have seen that the chassis seems to be a T30 ( from the label in the left hand wheel arch under the bonnet).
Is this standard for the California and would T32 stronger springs help level it up.
I have here seen on a video by Transporter HQ that fitting Eibach stronger springs cure this .
My question is, would fitt8ng stronger springs invalidate the warranty ? And why does it not sit level direct from the factory ?
thanks
It is an Optical Illusion. If you measure from bodyline to floor or wheel centre it is the same front and rear. The wheel arch is cut higher on the front than on the rear.
But there are numerous people who are more than happy to relieve you of £100’s of pounds to “ level “ it up and let you drive around nose down.

Simple test. Park empty on a horizontal surface and put a spirit level on kitchen.

thanks
You'll probably find that HQ fitting the T32 springs to rear sagging vans is to vans that have been DIY camper conversions and the permanent rear weight has caused the sagging on original springs which could be T26, T28 orT30 based.

When using the @WelshGas spirit level method you find that the rear is low use 10mm (or less) planks to put under the rear wheels until level is achieved. That will then show what lift is needed.
Remember that normal load including passengers should be in the Cali in order to get the true data.

You'll probably find that HQ fitting the T32 springs to rear sagging vans is to vans that have been DIY camper conversions and the permanent rear weight has caused the sagging on original springs which could be T26, T28 orT30 based.

When using the @WelshGas spirit level method you find that the rear is low use 10mm (or less) planks to put under the rear wheels until level is achieved. That will then show what lift is needed.
Remember that normal load including passengers should be in the Cali in order to get the true data.
And don’t forget the 150 Kgms, at least of 2 adults in front seats.

If you level it up with none standard springs it will point nose down. Lots of arguments about this on here and the t6 forum

Mentioned normal load and passengers
I’ve seen people measuring their vans, fully loaded and forgetting there was no one in the front as they were outside with the measuring tape etc. It happens.

If you level it up with none standard springs it will point nose down. Lots of arguments about this on here and the t6 forum
Puzzled

If level how can it be nose down?

Do you mean visually level with only reference to the front and rear arches?

It is an Optical Illusion. If you measure from bodyline to floor or wheel centre it is the same front and rear. The wheel arch is cut higher on the front than on the rear.
But there are numerous people who are more than happy to relieve you of £100’s of pounds to “ level “ it up and let you drive around nose down.

Simple test. Park empty on a horizontal surface and put a spirit level on kitchen.
:thumb I measure it as soon as I parked it level (and do the test) and hope that it is an optical illusion because it looks rather stupid like that.
Some calis are nicely level and others are not (mine also has a clear hang at the back). Surely those don’t have wheel arches with different cuts? So another reason then? I don’t know but first I’ll do the measurements ;)

Last edited:
yes. if you 'level up' the arch gaps, it will point nose down as you are lifting the rear end. i would just leave it alone. theres a reason they leave the factory like that,it's because it's normal

There’s a bloke in Cannock who begs to differ. He’s done extensive research in his £550pcm warehouse unit and spent many hours perfecting and testing his theories by none other than,
his eye…

Last edited:
@flying banana : why or how can you disagree to something that I have yet to test and measure, this I do not understand.
:rolleyes:

@flying banana : why or how can you disagree to something that I have yet to test and measure, this I do not understand.
:rolleyes:
because i disagree. you think the wheel arches may have different cuts between different vans? they don't ! don't you think VW would have noticed by now ? anyway personal choice wether to alter or level up. mine is staying as it was built

Last edited:
because i disagree. you think the wheel arches may have different cuts between different vans? they don't ! don't you think VW would have noticed by now ? anyway personal choice wether to alter or level up. mine is staying as it was built
Of course not, this was meant jokingly: all wheel arch cutouts are the same. Like I don’t know. I just wanted to point out that there are many Californias that are clearly level and others are not.
You really think that's what I meant?? My wording was clearly not clear and I attribute it to the fact that English is not my native language.
So, sorry for the confusion. I hope it’s clear now for you and those who agree with you about my post.
By the way, I think there are less strong springs (read cheaper) under the T6.1 because I think savings have been made on both materials and quality control; see this:
Thread 'Cut corners on quality? Possible (& article with some explanation).'
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...possible-article-with-some-explanation.45969/
I don't want to start a discussion or make a game of it, just pass on what I think after reading that it's an optical illusion. I will definitely check this because I suspect something else is going on, although I hope it is indeed all as it should be, but many calis come from the factory with defects not as they should be. Hence.
Edit: To measure is to know: a 3 to 4 cm difference when I measure from the top of the rim to a bodyline as described. So a clear sagging at the back. For me this show that it is not an optical illusion.
Everyone can think his own about it but I don't really want my bus to look like it has sagging broken suspension. Whether or what I will do about it I don’t know yet.
For those who think this is ok or even nice because it is meant to be: very good, please do as you wish; not necessary to slap me in the face again o_O :Grin

:thanks

Last edited:
Of course not, this was meant jokingly: all wheel arch cutouts are the same. Like I don’t know. I just wanted to point out that there are many Californias that are clearly level and others are not.
You really think that's what I meant?? My wording was clearly not clear and I attribute it to the fact that English is not my native language.
So, sorry for the confusion. I hope it’s clear now for you and those who agree with you about my post.
By the way, I think there are less strong springs (read cheaper) under the T6.1 because I think savings have been made on both materials and quality control; see this:
Thread 'Cut corners on quality? Possible (& article with some explanation).'
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...possible-article-with-some-explanation.45969/
I don't want to start a discussion or make a game of it, just pass on what I think after reading that it's an optical illusion. I will definitely check this because I suspect something else is going on, although I hope it is indeed all as it should be, but many calis come from the factory with defects not as they should be. Hence.
Edit: To measure is to know: a 3 to 4 cm difference when I measure from the top of the rim to a bodyline as described. So a clear sagging at the back. For me this show that it is not an optical illusion.
Everyone can think his own about it but I don't really want my bus to look like it has sagging broken suspension. Whether or what I will do about it I don’t know yet.
For those who think this is ok or even nice because it is meant to be: very good, please do as you wish; not necessary to slap me in the face again o_O :Grin

:thanks
I presume you measured with adequate weight to simulate a driver in the front seat?
If you don’t believe the wheel arches are at different heights, have you measured from Wheel arch apex to body line, front and rear?

Whether I believe this or not, that is secondary to this: the wheel arches can be at different heights, but the rear can still sag, right?
It's a van, I don’t think a driver matter. Unless he weighs a good 150 kilos or something. And in your reasoning of the optical illusion, should he sit in the middle so that the van doesn't just drop on one side? Please explained the body line you mean and how you want me to measure, preferably with a drawing so that I understand it. Then I will measure again. But quickly because we load our bus to make a trip in Germany on Monday morning. Then the weights probably won't be ok for the measurements, will they? (So no, now no gas bottle, no bedding, empty cupboards, etc. at the back.)
But still: I don't understand your reasoning: it's an optical illusion, so actually completely level, but there must still be a high weight in the front so that it comes down in front for what? To level up? It is level according to you because it is an optical illusion. When I look at my cali it has a clear sagging at the back; when I’m in it: I don’t see it. So I am talking about when I’m out it. Tomorrow I will sit in the car and ask my wife to measure according to your drawing. I don't understand it anymore but will measure again; if you are right I will admit this but vice versa too?

Last edited:
@flying banana : nope, I do not agree with you disagree. Where do I post what you make fun of me with (and where others agree with the mocking)?

6812B872-3E9D-485F-9C92-99977DAB8937.jpeg
Please explain yourself. It doesn’t make sense to me.

I think you miss understand

the reference in FB post suggests the wheel arches front and rear are different heights as standard And as designed by VW.

FBs post is rhetorical =

a question asked in order to create a dramatic effect or to make a point rather than to get an answer.

the point being the body panel / wheel arch front to rear are different heights therefore an optical illusion that the rear is sagging, which it’s not

a subject that has been we’ll discussed over time, some see it, ( some don’t) some try to “correct” it , the transporter leaves the factory with the correct set up for the type of vehicle / intended use, as far as geometry , there are plent of businesses who will relieve you of your money to “correct” the saggy bum.

Last edited:
I think you miss understand

the reference in FB post suggests the wheel arches front and rear are different heights as standard And as designed by VW.

FBs post is rhetorical =

a question asked in order to create a dramatic effect or to make a point rather than to get an answer.

the point being the body panel / wheel arch front to rear are different heights therefore an optical illusion that the rear is sagging, which it’s not

a subject that has been we’ll discussed over time, some see it, ( some don’t) some try to “correct” it , the transporter leaves the factory with the correct set up for the type of vehicle / intended use, as far as geometry , there are plent of businesses who will relieve you of your money to “correct” the saggy bum.
Thanks for your reaction and appreciate the attempts to show that it's just an optical illusion (which would still mean to me that it doesn't look good but I don't know if I could possibly do anything about it. I don't even know if I would do anything about it at all: I'm not the OP thinking of adjusting. I just comment that I notice/have it too after reading about the optical illusion it could be).
If by FB you mean Flying banana, his post is meant to make fun of me and that I appreciate less:

21E90153-2BDD-4361-BD51-C746A8968CFE.jpeg
Or maybe I don't understand his writing (because again: English is not my native language).
Anyway: So there are those who see it and others who don't. Weird. Perhaps this is because there are also calis that are level and others that are not? I definitely want to measure to know if the optical illusionists on sagging are right and then I will be one of them too. Until then - and to measure is to know - there is a clear sagging at the back. So I keep all options open and am willing to adjust my idea, but “that it is intended that way” is yet not an explanation for what I see.
I'm going to leave you and go to work. I'll see if there is any further argument on this matter. Then get ready and (maybe) drive to Autostadt. The freedom a california offers us, the ease of leaving and the many experiences with it are things that bind us all and there are also things that divide us. That's just how it is. Have a nice Sunday.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reaction and appreciate the attempts to show that it's just an optical illusion (which would still mean to me that it doesn't look good but I don't know if I could possibly do anything about it. I don't even know if I would do anything about it at all: I'm not the OP thinking of adjusting. I just comment that I notice/have it too after reading about the optical illusion it could be).
If by FB you mean Flying banana, his post is meant to make fun of me and that I appreciate less:

View attachment 105053
Or maybe I don't understand his writing (because again: English is not my native language).
Anyway: So there are those who see it and others who don't. Weird. Perhaps this is because there are also calis that are level and others that are not? I definitely want to measure to know if the optical illusionists on sagging are right and then I will be one of them too. Until then - and to measure is to know - there is a clear sagging at the back. So I keep all options open and am willing to adjust my idea, but “that it is intended that way” is yet not an explanation for what I see.
I'm going to leave you and go to work. I'll see if there is any further argument on this matter. Then get ready and (maybe) drive to Autostadt. The freedom a california offers us, the ease of leaving and the many experiences with it are things that bind us all and there are also things that divide us. That's just how it is. Have a nice Sunday.
Can you post a photo ?

Easiest and quickest method to get measurements for comparison front to rear is to hook one end of tape measure to lowest point on wheel rim vertically to the highest point of the arches.

Front will be in the 10>20mm range more than the rear normally. If in the region of 30mm you are correct with your assumption.
Note! just a guide which I use as the basis for setting my air suspension.

Please post a photo so that we can all see the issue that is concerning you.

2F050B4A-A126-4B86-BEC1-CCD2145A2975.jpeg
@calibusje You must have noticed by now there are certain topics that people often argue about.

You can either have the red equal and define that as level or have the blue equal and define that as level. Upto you. Your van.

This wasn’t a problem before Brexit…

Last edited: