• Start date
Pure Worktop Protection

Pure Worktop Protection

VIP Member
Trade Advertiser
VIP Trade Partner
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Just dropped my T6 in to have fuel hoses replaced on recall.
Van is 13 months old with 8.5k on the clock.
Surprised to be advised by the dealership that oil level was only at 25%.
Sounds a bit excessive in my opinion.....

Spot on Welshgas

More concerning is I just dug our inspection from last time the van was in dealers 2400 miles ago and they checked oil level at 100%.??
So 0 miles to 6400 no oil used, 6400 - 8800 miles 75% used - ?

More concerning is I just dug our inspection from last time the van was in dealers 2400 miles ago and they checked oil level at 100%.??
So 0 miles to 6400 no oil used, 6400 - 8800 miles 75% used - ?
Checking oil levels can be very variable. Check within 5 minutes of engine stop can give a very different value to checking oil levels 4 hrs later. It should be consistent and that is not likely with a garage. With different times since engine stop it could vary by 500 mls or more.
It tells you in the Handbook, I think the check should be made 5 mins after engine stop with the van level.

Interesting point for those who have “ levelled “ their vehicles because of the “ cosmetic “ sag of the rear end suspension. The vehicle will now be nose down and this may give a false high reading unless the van is levelled with a spirit level.

That seems normal to me, not unheard of to need a litre between services and the dipstick markers are 1 litre between them.

That seems normal to me, not unheard of to need a litre between services and the dipstick markers are 1 litre between them.
But not 750mls in 2400 miles.

Reviving and old thread. How much is too much oil consumption on a 204 T6 2016 engine?

10917 mls - Servicing done (incl oil change. )
17468 mls Low oil warning light. 1L topup to get oil level on dipstick correct.

1 L of oil in 6551 mls? Has not happened in the 10,000 mls before that #dunno what to make of it. Will need to monitor closely.

What has other people's experience been with oil on a T6 2016 engine?

What sort of driving were you doing in the last 6551 miles? Lots of short journeys?

Understandable in lock down. I'd top it up and see what it's like at your next service.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it.

Reviving and old thread. How much is too much oil consumption on a 204 T6 2016 engine?

10917 mls - Servicing done (incl oil change. )
17468 mls Low oil warning light. 1L topup to get oil level on dipstick correct.

1 L of oil in 6551 mls? Has not happened in the 10,000 mls before that #dunno what to make of it. Will need to monitor closely.

What has other people's experience been with oil on a T6 2016 engine?
Was the oil level correct following the Oil Change?

Are you suggesting that the oil change wasn't done correctly or asking if he checked the oil level after the change, recognised it wasn't correct and then asked the board what their thought's were 6,500 miles after. I am sure you have forgotten more about Cali's than I will ever know mate but that was a daft question.

What sort of driving were you doing in the last 6551 miles? Lots of short journeys?

Understandable in lock down. I'd top it up and see what it's like at your next service.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it.

Approx 5000 of the 6551 miles were to Portugal and back ... so some long drives there in good heat in the 30-35 deg C range. The van behaved itself all through the journey.

Something I missed out on checking WG. Will need to be more careful next time around. Added to the checklist.

Planning to do an intermediate oil change myself to check if there are any issues. Will replace with the correct quantity and grade of oil and see what happens then.

Maybe I should buy the filter, oil and the drain plug as consumables from VW? Just so that I have a receipt that the correct materials were used?

2018 T6 204. Used zero oil in first 20000 miles, then used 2ltr in 5000 miles. Not happy. Reported at service, topped up to full marker and re-checked (visually) by dealer after 1000km (622 miles). There was a little usage but not much, maybe an 1/8th or so of the dipstick. Which would tie in to a ltr every 2500miles or so. Dealer said entirely normal, and they’d seen much worse; anything under 1ltr/1000km is considered to be in limits by VW which it was clearly well under (and was always going to be, but having raised it I wanted the test recorded as having been done on VW records in case of warranty issues down the line). VWs view on what is considered normal/acceptable differs from mine; one of a number of reasons that I didn’t hold on to that particular van.

Are you suggesting that the oil change wasn't done correctly or asking if he checked the oil level after the change, recognised it wasn't correct and then asked the board what their thought's were 6,500 miles after. I am sure you have forgotten more about Cali's than I will ever know mate but that was a daft question.
Not stupid. I would suggest many owners do not check the oil level after a garage oil change and depend on the sensor to alert them.
I check the oil and other fluid levels on a weekly basis, as it’s a daily driver covering 20,000 miles or so a year, except for 2020, and would not expect to be surprised by the Low Oil light coming on.
Unless you know what the oil level is after the oil change, then how do you know the calculated oil consumption is correct.

Oil level is supposed to be measured on a warm engine, 5 minutes after engine stop.
If engine is cold, refilled with oil to correct level on Dip Stick then as it is cold it could be 500 mls or so low compared to using the correct measurement technique.

I wasn't calling you stupid, you clearly are not. But if you feel the need to check the oil level after a service that includes an oil change then you need to change your service provider. Where do we stop, do we check all fluids, measure break pad's etc after a service? We have to have a certain level of trust in the companies we chose to provide our various services or we may as well just do them ourselves.
Having said that and as I have owned a Maserati Levante for the last 3 years which has a £1,100 service cost that doesn't include Adblue you are probably right, I retract my comment.

When looking stuff up to investigate the oil usage I’ve detailed above I read somewhere - can’t remember where but it was a VW document - that the correct level is half way up the dipstick, not the max line. There was a particular circumstance in which it should be topped up to the max line - but I can’t remember what that circumstance was. So can’t remember a lot, but I do remember that half way up the dipstick was the correct level for normal use in the UK. So perhaps not short changed.

This is the Handbook method of checking and changing the oil.
NB: Point 13.
Unless you know what the Level was to start with, very difficult to measure Oil Consumption. High to Low is 1 L, so midway you are 500mls below maximum.

68BE2DFD-3FBC-464E-942C-DA65F4760284.png

When looking stuff up to investigate the oil usage I’ve detailed above I read somewhere - can’t remember where but it was a VW document - that the correct level is half way up the dipstick, not the max line. There was a particular circumstance in which it should be topped up to the max line - but I can’t remember what that circumstance was. So can’t remember a lot, but I do remember that half way up the dipstick was the correct level for normal use in the UK. So perhaps not short changed.
My understanding is that the oil level should be half way up the dipstick whilst cold and that when hot it would rise?

This is the Handbook method of checking and changing the oil.
NB: Point 13.
Unless you know what the Level was to start with, very difficult to measure Oil Consumption. High to Low is 1 L, so midway you are 500mls below maximum.

View attachment 70615
WG, could not find the total oil capacity in the manual anywhere (or I may have missed it). Opie Oils has a package with Oil + filter that has 7 litres of Oil. CDAC Tutorials on YouTube mentions 7.4 litres.

Its short change imo. 500ml on every main dealer service is a lot of cash.

Reasons to fill it

10 - 20% longer oil life. Viscosity shear and additive capacity.
Lower oil temperature
More likely to get to the next service without running out - many drivers never look.
Oil surge

Reasons not to fill it

Cost saving at service
Windage losses.

Indeed. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not defending dealers or saying that sharp practice isn’t rife; just saying that not being filled to max may be correct iaw procedure and the amount of oil payed for. Doesn’t really matter, you got it topped up, good for you. I would probably do the same; particularly if I wasn’t happy with other aspects of the dealers service.

WG, could not find the total oil capacity in the manual anywhere (or I may have missed it). Opie Oils has a package with Oil + filter that has 7 litres of Oil. CDAC Tutorials on YouTube mentions 7.4 litres.
Sorry, can’t help you on the 204 engine.

Back