Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

21 Plate Coast - Tail gate does not stay open in cold

Dave E

Dave E

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Only got my Coast in August, it’s already been in for an Adblue fix and now I have an issue with the tail gate. Twice now in cold weather it starts to close all by itself. Slightly unnerving when you are stood underneath it!
VW fitted bike rack is the only addition, surely the gas struts are beefy enough to cope with there on accessory, has anyone else experienced the issue?
Getting it booked in to have them replaced but can’t say that I’m happy with two trips to the dealer to fix things on a new vehicle!

Only got my Coast in August, it’s already been in for an Adblue fix and now I have an issue with the tail gate. Twice now in cold weather it starts to close all by itself. Slightly unnerving when you are stood underneath it!
VW fitted bike rack is the only addition, surely the gas struts are beefy enough to cope with there on accessory, has anyone else experienced the issue?
Getting it booked in to have them replaced but can’t say that I’m happy with two trips to the dealer to fix things on a new vehicle!
Ours stays up by itself even when loaded with 2 lightweight bikes.

Would get yours replaced under warranty.

Last edited:
I know mine is 9+ yrs old but it does struggle in cold weather and is the opposite in hot weather (or maybe the other way around!)

yes mines the same only holds in warm weather, you have no chance with bikes on.

Mines 2006 and noticed that the tailgate wont stay up now its got colder. It hasnt got the bike rack, only the chairs stored in the tailgate. anything below 10 degrees and it struggles.

Just before the warranty expired on our vehicle I took it into the dealership to have the leisure batteries checked as they were losing power at an alarming rate. The dealer checked them and agreed to replace them under warranty. While the guy was working on the van the tailgate came down on his head...... Needless to say they replaced the struts at the same time.. I never really thought much about it as we don’t use it much in the winter and that’s when the tailgate has a mind of its own.

Update: Vans in now being diagnosed under warranty. Service manager let slip that upgraded gas struts should be fitted when installing the bike rack! So may not be a quality issue in build but more frustratingly a dealer induced issue when fitting the rack……come on VW where have those high standards gone?

Of course it's possible that (like in @Dave E's case) you have the wrong or faulty struts, but keep in mind that it's quite normal for gas struts to loose some power in colder temperatures compared to in warmer temperatures. There's supposedly a difference in pressure of around 15% between summer and winter. Wear and tear also reduces the pressure.

Per California Chris the Cali's come with upgraded struts pre installed. Nothing has to be upgraded for a bike rack installation

Yes I’ve seen the videos and am more than aware that old gas struts loose integrity! But this is a new vehicle! I’d expect any vehicle in the UK to be able to cope with temps of 4degrees well within warranty period. Actually given the weight and potential safety risk of the tailgate coming down on you I’d expect it to be over specified.
Facts are it’s not holding integrity in low temperatures, am wondering if given build pressures and parts availability that alternate suppliers have been used.
Either way am awaiting parts so hopefully I’ll be able to stand under the tail with confidence again soon.

Of course it's possible that (like in @Dave E's case) you have the wrong or faulty struts, but keep in mind that it's quite normal for gas struts to loose some power in colder temperatures compared to in warmer temperatures. There's supposedly a difference in pressure of around 15% between summer and winter. Wear and tear also reduces the pressure.

Charles' law implies a 10% change for every 27 degrees Celsius. 15% is possible in some extreme climates. Likely somewhat less in the UK.

Hope the new struts solve the problem Dave, but this is a fairly standard feature of the Cali in cold weather, particularly with the tailgate bikerack. Part of the reason we use a towbar rack :thumb