230 volt hook-up in your Beach

soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Kennycalifornia
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
I would really like a way to connect 230volt into my Beach. With just a couple of sockets for kettle, battery charger etc.

How have you done yours, any ideas please...???

:help

Best get yourself one of these and a pair of Dubflecta's :thumb

image.jpg

Yeah thats the easy option.
But would like to try and fit some nice sockets to the beach trim some how.

I wish Volkswagen had supplied the Beach with 230 hook-up :thanks

This is something I want to sort out for my beach as well. Seen a German company (Maxxcamp) does it via a hookup socket in the engine bay but not sure how they get the cable through the bulkhead and to the passenger seat.
Other option I'm considering is a socket under the rear bumper and try and get the cable behind all the trim on the nearside.
I have been given the number of a mobile caravan / motorhome mechanic who has all the relevant qualifications and am going to get him round to have a look / give me a quote.
Will update when I know more.

owen_h said:
This is something I want to sort out for my beach as well. Seen a German company (Maxxcamp) does it via a hookup socket in the engine bay but not sure how they get the cable through the bulkhead and to the passenger seat.
Other option I'm considering is a socket under the rear bumper and try and get the cable behind all the trim on the nearside.
I have been given the number of a mobile caravan / motorhome mechanic who has all the relevant qualifications and am going to get him round to have a look / give me a quote.

If you take out the rear lights, there is possibly space below them to fit hook up. I think this has been done on a number of T4's and looks quite effective.

James

The old T4 had a dummy fog light. I put mine in there many moons ago.
If you manage to sort anything Owen, would love to see or hear some solutions :cool

James said:
owen_h said:

If you take out the rear lights, there is possibly space below them to fit hook up. I think this has been done on a number of T4's and looks quite effective.

James

Finally got round to sorting out the mains hookup after being distracted building the kitchen pod.
The kitchen pod has a consumer unit mounted on the end (rear) of it feeding two 3 pin sockets. That part of the pod is very similar to the storage unit that comes with the 2 seater Beach. Because of the consumer unit position I wanted the hookup to be at the rear of the vehicle to minimise the cable run. As James mentioned other people with tailgate vans have fitted the socket by hinging the plastic trim panel below the rear light cluster and this was my original intention. However last weekend when I investigated it seems that the design of the trim panel has changed. Instead of the panel clipping to a nice straight plastic frame that a hinge could be fixed to it now locates using just its own clips top and bottom. Lots of head scratching but I could not think of a way to neatly hinge the panel.
Plan B, mount under rear bumper. Wasn't overly keen on removing the rear bumper myself so phoned round a couple of local places (mostly towbar fitters) to see if anyone could do it for me. Distinct lack of interest from most, think they are worried because its 240V and feel they need certificates. A mobile caravan mechanic could have done it ... in 6 to 7 weeks time.
FFWD to today when armed with bumper removal photos from the T4 forum I made a start. Found all the fixings (including the hidden ones behind the wheel arch cover) and the bumper then slides off. Behind the plastic is a steel bar and its just to the left of this bar that I managed to mount the socket. Had to remove a small section of the black plastic tray under the van. The cable then follows the same route as the rear parking sensor wiring, through a spare rubber grommet and reappears inside the van next to the rear light wiring. To get to the consumer unit the cable runs behind the side trim and reappears in a hole I've drilled in the bottom of the cup holders (the ones just in front of the wheel arch). These are hidden by the pod (or the storage box) and right alongside where the consumer unit is.
All connected up now and works a treat. The socket is just visible from behind but still quite neat. Connecting up wont be quite as easy as that on a full Cali as its a lot lower. Might need a mat to kneel on but I prefer that rather than cutting a hole in the side of the bodywork.
Will post some photos later on but a celebratory glass of wine beckons. :hello

Does that mean you only get 240v on hook up and it doesn't charge your battery?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

(leisure) Battery charging is via a CTEK msx 7 charger that I can plug into one of the 3 pin sockets. It can also run as a 12 supply as well if needed. I will only have 240V on hookup, could get an inverter if I want to run 240V appliances off the leisure battery but there's not much I would want to run this way.
Hows the heater install going? Seen the controller, looks good.

Its got to go in soon :crazy Thats the location of the dial just waiting on what to do with the out let.

I've been looking at hook up as well, got a quote from a guy south of Brum for a hookup socket in the engine bay run to the drivers seat to an RCD and charger that then went to the leisure battery. £275. Should run the fridge/heater, lights ect and still charge the battery, also want to up the battery to the biggest possible that I can fit in the existing location :D

Bigbud said:
Its got to go in soon :crazy Thats the location of the dial just waiting on what to do with the out let.

I've been looking at hook up as well, got a quote from a guy south of Brum for a hookup socket in the engine bay run to the drivers seat to an RCD and charger that then went to the leisure battery. £275. Should run the fridge/heater, lights ect and still charge the battery, also want to up the battery to the biggest possible that I can fit in the existing location :D
Why do I feel uneasy about 240V floating around in the engine bay !
Do you need to tell the insurance

Well I knocked this up at work on Friday to use this weekend.
MK RCD 30mA twin socket, some 1.5mm 3 core flex and a 16Amp commando socket. Just feed through the front window and plug in.

To be honest it worked brilliantly and don't think I will be changing from this.

212931F6-1962-4C73-8364-D535B241A07C-749-0000003BFE4C3FA2_zps147044f9.jpg

8CE56361-9492-41DE-999A-46A1FB032287-749-0000003BCF2974C1_zps12b7c93b.jpg

647B04CE-AC5D-442A-87B7-17E3DE7014A9-749-0000003BA59D18CB_zpsb27ce20d.jpg

Attachments

• 212931F6-1962-4C73-8364-D535B241A07C-749-0000003BFE4C3FA2_zps147044f9.jpg
    212931F6-1962-4C73-8364-D535B241A07C-749-0000003BFE4C3FA2_zps147044f9.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 8CE56361-9492-41DE-999A-46A1FB032287-749-0000003BCF2974C1_zps12b7c93b.jpg
    8CE56361-9492-41DE-999A-46A1FB032287-749-0000003BCF2974C1_zps12b7c93b.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 647B04CE-AC5D-442A-87B7-17E3DE7014A9-749-0000003BA59D18CB_zpsb27ce20d.jpg
    647B04CE-AC5D-442A-87B7-17E3DE7014A9-749-0000003BA59D18CB_zpsb27ce20d.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 14
Owen

Got any pictures...?

Some pictures, sorry for the delay been out using the van for a change rather than working on /for it :p

[album]912[/album]
Bumper free from mountings. Cable fed up into the area alongside the jack storage compartment.

[album]913[/album]
Using spare grommet to feed cable in. There was a plastic panel with ventilation holes here that I have also removed to get access.

[album]914[/album]
Socket fixed to van and wired up. Small section of plastic undertray removed to give room. Took some time doing this as the wiring for reversing sensors was in the way and access to drill screw pilot holes tricky.

[album]915[/album]
Consumer unit mounted to end of kitchen pod with 3 core and also earth bonding cable entering it. (Black wire is 12V supply to the coolbox). 3 pin socket underneath consumer unit is what I will use to supply 240V to the coolbox.

[album]916[/album]
With the lead connected

[album]917[/album]
Without lead connected. Might paint the cover blue at some point to hide it further.

Owen

Soulstyle said:
Well I knocked this up at work on Friday to use this weekend.
MK RCD 30mA twin socket, some 1.5mm 3 core flex and a 16Amp commando socket. Just feed through the front window and plug in.

To be honest it worked brilliantly and don't think I will be changing from this.

:goodone Looks an easier solution to mine ! I went for 3 x 2.5mm flex rather than 1.5. Ended up with Arctic rated in the end but that was just because it was available in the length I wanted. Not intending to camp at -22deg :lol: I actually work for a cable company but had to buy elsewhere as this is one of the few products we don't manufacture.

Bigbud said:

engine bay makes sense if your putting the RCD under a seat. Seen quite a few pics of them mounted there. How do they get the cable from the bay to the seat? Under the van and then directly up or through the dashboard and under the carpet?

Grommet in the bulkhead apparently, there is apparently room to get the cable through under the flooring with out it being noticeable. Not sure were going with a pod yet so the electrics have to be under the seat, I also want the Leisure battery charged when on hook up without have to fiddle with chargers. Plug in, Done ! :)

owen_h said:
Bigbud said:

engine bay makes sense if your putting the RCD under a seat. Seen quite a few pics of them mounted there. How do they get the cable from the bay to the seat? Under the van and then directly up or through the dashboard and under the carpet?

Oh and love your mount for the Waeco ! have you only a plate at the back or one on the front as well ?

Bigbud said:
Oh and love your mount for the Waeco ! have you only a plate at the back or one on the front as well ?

:thanks
Plate that you spotted at the back and for the front end there is a bit of carved oak mounted to the side of the kitchen pod that locates in the coolbox handle recess. Needed to space this one away from the end of the pod a bit as my first attempt with the coolbox against the pod meant I couldnt get the lid catch released.

Some pictures, sorry for the delay been out using the van for a change rather than working on /for it :p

[album]912[/album]
Bumper free from mountings. Cable fed up into the area alongside the jack storage compartment.

[album]913[/album]
Using spare grommet to feed cable in. There was a plastic panel with ventilation holes here that I have also removed to get access.

[album]914[/album]
Socket fixed to van and wired up. Small section of plastic undertray removed to give room. Took some time doing this as the wiring for reversing sensors was in the way and access to drill screw pilot holes tricky.

[album]915[/album]
Consumer unit mounted to end of kitchen pod with 3 core and also earth bonding cable entering it. (Black wire is 12V supply to the coolbox). 3 pin socket underneath consumer unit is what I will use to supply 240V to the coolbox.

[album]916[/album]
With the lead connected

[album]917[/album]
Without lead connected. Might paint the cover blue at some point to hide it further.

Owen

Hi Owen, I am looking for a solution for 220V inlet on a California beach. The way that I am considering is the same you used (i.e. from the rear: behind the bumper or under the rear light). May I ask you if it is possible to view the photos? Just to got an idea...

Thank's
n

Back