Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

255/35/20 tyres, which load rating do you use?

itscalledbob

itscalledbob

Home is where you park it
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Been thinking of putting some 20's on my T6 when it arrives, the only problem is the tyres.

Some simple calculations show the closes rolling radius to the spec wheels are 255/35/20's and i'm reliably informed they don't require spacers to prevent them from catching :thumb The only problem is getting the right load rating.

The maximum axle weight of a T5 SE is between 1575 and 1600kg requiring a 100 load rating and the axle weight for the T6 ocean is between 1575 and 1610kg requiring a 101 rating. The factory tyres on my cali T5 SE carry a 103 rating.

The issue being no one seems to make a decent tyre with a rating above 97XL (1460kg). There are a few very spurious Chinese imports at £50 a corner tho.

So, all you 20 inch rollers what tyres are you using??

For those who are interested in tyre loading I got my figures from here:

https://www.ctyres.co.uk/general/load-index

What width rims are you using? Ive been told 8.5J rims require 255 tyres. But 9J rims can be fitted with 275/35/20 tyres. There are Pirelli PZero rated at 102. Which is 850kg (x2 = 1700kg more than 1610 axle load quoted). Any use? Are your wheels correctly load rated?

Of course it would be great to fit the tyre with the highest load rating but am I correct in saying that as long as the wheel and the tyre are rated above half the axle load then they are sufficient for the vehicle? I'm asking because the wheels I'm buying gave a load rating of 890kg each. Which I more than half of my largest axle load figure. Like wise a tyre with 850kg (102) is also above this figure. However I appreciate that in an ideal world one would want a 103 or 104. I guess it also depends on way it are carrying? Would it not best to fit wheels with a slightly higher load rating than the tyre?

Weight. I meant to say not way. (Stupid smell chequer.)

Did you go with 102s in the end Days? As you can probably guess, I'm in the same boat as you were, having a set of 20s in the garage with no tyres!

IMG_2953.JPG Hi Ferret.

Yes my Pirelli P Zero Nero are 102Y. So 850kg. I had worked out the diameter of these compared to my original tyres and these were the closest. So well within the recommended range.

I had originally wanted to go for 40 section tyres but the increase in diameter worried me a bit. I was concerned that the 40 might rub and I'd got some advice from tyre experts and they all advised to go for the 35 section tyres.

My strategy was to try the 35 first and if and when I need to renew I might try 40 section once I'd checked the clearances and performance.

One thing is the 40 section tyres are cheaper and do have higher load ratings. But at the end of the day the calculations are right. You take the max axle load and divide by 2. The wheels and tyres must be equal or greater than this.

What wheels gave you got? Can you out on a photo?

Sweet. Liking them.

I must say that these black / diamond turned rims look very "technical" and match the style of the Cali. It takes some research to find nice wheels in my opinion. There are a lot of designs out there that are too "soft" looking. The T6 is quite edgy compared to the T5 so I think the classic T5 type wheels don't suit the T6.

When the T6 first came out I kind of preferred the T5 but the sharper lines have grown on me. The wheels you've picked certainly match the sharper styling of the T6.

What colour van do you have? Gave you lowered it at all?

I haven't got it yet, hoping to collect in two weeks as I believe it came off a boat into the U.K yesterday. The dealer will fit the 30mm lowering springs. I thought about H&R 40mm but it's easier with the warranty to go with the dealer fit but as yours looks great I'm happy with that! It's indium grey, so I'm hoping for a "stealthy" look. Just deciding on chrome or black side bars.

Hadn't seen this image before now.
https://goo.gl/images/K6EvX8

They look slick. On an indium grey van they will look ace. Not sure about side bars yet. Everyone has them. I've seen a nice gloss black splitter but can't find matching sill finishers yet. Might have to design my own!

Did you go for the chrome pack? Indium grey with chrome pack looks good. There are some photos on the forum with this combo. Anyway the wheels are the biggest change you can make. Job number 1. IMHO.

0cbca05ecf4498047ee4dd2949a77f97.jpg

Probably a good time to put up the one picture I took of it before discovering that it didn't have the 4Motion I ordered. Indium Grey with chrome pack. Black B Pillars and all.

Mike

Looks nice. I didn't order the chrome pack, mainly because I didn't know about it at the time! What color are the B-pillars as standard?

B pillars come body colour as standard and break up the flow of the DLO.

IMG_3173.jpg
Not to worry. You can buy a B pillar wrap kit. I did mine a few weeks ago. It cost £25. Buy on eBay. Quite easy.

IMG_1005.JPG You can also buy the chrome bumper strip. The black standard one just clips off and you just snap on a chrome one. I even tried wrapping my standard part in red insulation tape to create a GTi look. Didn't suit my white Cali but would look good on indium.

IMG_3188.jpg

Here you go. Ad from eBay. Think I got mine but cheaper from VANSTYLE.

0cbca05ecf4498047ee4dd2949a77f97.jpg

Probably a good time to put up the one picture I took of it before discovering that it didn't have the 4Motion I ordered. Indium Grey with chrome pack. Black B Pillars and all.

Mike

Looks good Mike. Heard about the small omission in your spec when it turned up. Not great. What are you going to do now? Has the dealer sorted a solution?

Still working on it. More phone calls today. I'll give an update when I get it finalised. Ta!

Mike

Still working on it. More phone calls today. I'll give an update when I get it finalised. Ta!

Mike

Good luck. I'm sure you will get on ok. It's such a major mistake. But you at least know the colour and spec looks good. Fingers crossed for you.

Back